• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Long rod motor

E

edavis0202

Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
Had one installed by Dan and boosted from day one, never an issue. 1200 miles

Great product and price

O
Dec 6, 2007
I will be getting my indy dan long rod motor in the next couple days!! Just curious who has ran or ridden a sled with this motor and how happy are you with it.

You spent 4 grand on a motor and you are asking the question after the fact?

Dan builds a good motor for sure, with a great warranty, not convinced the price is all that great though.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
The motor is that good.
Price = you get what you pay for.
Cheap equals a slapped together motor.

Mine makes etec's look weak.
12.5-1 head.
Low elevation.
Running on premium.

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
I ran his LR last year with no issues, it ran strong. The price was right, at that time he was offering a $2500 special.

E

edavis0202

Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
You spent 4 grand on a motor and you are asking the question after the fact?

Dan builds a good motor for sure, with a great warranty, not convinced the price is all that great though.

Summer specials are $2500, not bad for an aftermarket motor with 3GS warranty. Isnt a builder out there that offers that.

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
I've got a PAR set up (they're practically the same) nearly identical to Sheetmetalfab's. Put a bit over 1000 miles on last season with the conversion. Love it.

The LR conversion is not rated to increase HP and in my case my sled's never been dyno'd so I have no idea about HP but my seat-o'-the-pants meter says more power to the track and smoother through the RPM range.

That panel rattle at 4800-5100 rpm went away.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
While the PAR and other imitation Long Rods are "nearly, visually identical" and are nearly, identical in price as well. With the Indy Specialties Long Rods you have a Warranty that even the Papa Polaris can and will not touch.

The choice is yours, but why would you settle for a copy cat when you can have the real deal with an unmatchable warranty for the same price as the others?

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID

It is a great price actually.
His motor is about the same cost as if you bought a new cylinder, and fix kit.
If you damaged your crankcase too his motor is easily the most cost effective fix.

E

edavis0202

Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
I blew two of his motors up 1 at 100 miles and one at 120 miles

I would like more details also. His complete engine built as his shop is damn tough. I can see adding a turbo to it and bad tuning but he should warranty them either way

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
While the PAR and other imitation Long Rods are "nearly, visually identical" and are nearly, identical in price as well. With the Indy Specialties Long Rods you have a Warranty that even the Papa Polaris can and will not touch.

The choice is yours, but why would you settle for a copy cat when you can have the real deal with an unmatchable warranty for the same price as the others?

Sure, as long as built by Dan. I have had both in my hands, there is no difference in the quality. I know where Dan's rods are made, I know where Brad's rods are made. I know the story behind it all and I do not care, they are both great products sold and serviced by two of the best guys in the biz. It's all about who is close to the rider and who can provide the best service.

SnoDmon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Lewistown, MT
I would much rather be dealing with Dan and have a warranty and someone to talk to that actually knows what they are doing. Oops, my bad. Learned my lesson.... :devil:

G

ghost rider

Dec 1, 2007
Long rod

I blew two of his motors up 1 at 100 miles and one at 120 miles

I to lost 2 motors in under 300 miles. Both under warranty. Have pictures to prove the in house craftsmanship. I'm done warranty or not. Went back to stock and no issues. One of our 3 motors from him is still running(lucky I guess).
Overly welded skirts block transfer ports to much. Gives u great mid and bottom but creates to much heat when WOT. Then boom! Pistons squeak. I put stock Polaris pistons back in on my own dime and stock cylinders and no issue.
When a guy gets mad at me for pulling my own motor down to see what happened then the business relationship is over.
Funny thing is I know of quite a few that went down just don't see it on forums.
He also is calling customers to do a free upgrade to their motor(good service). But ask yourself why?

PR Performance

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007
Southern Minnesota
I installed my Indy speciality LR last winter and for the money with warranty is the best bang for the buck. Polaris doesn't even warranty a motor as long as Indy Speciality. Yes I know he had some issues with some of his motors, but at least he called and said that the motors need to be upgraded for longevity. I had about 100 miles on mine and was heading out west in about 5 days, he called me and told me he needed my motor, not to ride until upgraded, "ok but I am heading out west on sunday, I wont have time for it"( I was kind of pissed) Indy dan has done plenty of work for me and my group. I live about 3 hours from him in Minnesota. He picked up my motor from me on Thursday morning and was back on my bench Friday afternoon to be reinstalled. I couldn't believe it and didn't cost me penny besides taking out and reinstalling, but pretty minor. I put it back in and have ridden about 300 miles on it and seems to keep getting stronger. Good luck finding someone who will do that. This motor is so smooth and strong, I have had PAR products, big bores, SLP setups, and for this motor with stock head, stock pipe, indy dan clutching, this has been the best running motor I have had. At 11000ft heavy wet snow late march, other stock pros were running 58g weight, I was running 65g mtx weights and pulling 8300rpm on up hill pulls. I am very impressed with his work and will continue to buy from him and let others know how well his stuff works.
Just my experience..

Premium Features