• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation and Review: Mountain Performance Inc, Stage 1 & 2 Supercharger

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
xpicture.php,qalbumid=1821,apictureid=25175.pagespeed.ic.mpqclArcX3.jpg

I placed a small square of double sided sticky foam to support the rollover valve from possibly bouncing on the oil tank.
xpicture.php,qalbumid=1821,apictureid=25176.pagespeed.ic.dy7ZBuLbd_.jpg

With all the electrical connections back in place.
xpicture.php,qalbumid=1821,apictureid=25177.pagespeed.ic.LPEioZPJoQ.jpg

And a shot from below!
xpicture.php,qalbumid=1821,apictureid=25178.pagespeed.ic.JenyA-NjmY.jpg

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
I like the way you ran your breather hose. I don't like the idea of it possible making a mess all over the engine. where did you get your filter?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Got the new Clutch Weights installed tonight.
3 new rollers for the primary should be here tomorrow.

Sled should be on the snow on Saturday!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Well, well, what a long journey this has been.

On Monday I finally got the sled out on the snow for its first shake out ride and put 30 miles of trail under the track. Much to my delight there were no mechanical problems of any sort with the supercharger. It simply ran exactly as I had hoped for. But I was never able to get the sled up above 40mph just because of where I was and how horrible the trails were.

Yesterday I took Nytrocity up to Island Park for a full day of play.

This time I was fully able to wring her out and see just what she could do now.

With the clutch "Heavily" weighted down she turned 8,600rpm and hit 80mph at wide open throttle on smooth flat trail. There is no doubt in my mind that the clutch is limiting top RPM and Speed, which was exactly what we wanted to have happen so I would have time to learn how to ride this supercharged sled.

Side by side with my other Nytro, Nytrocity is MUCH Quicker, but not much faster. They both get to around the same top speed, but at ANY speed, side by side, when the throttle is opened Nytrocity just TAKES OFF.

The power is SMOOTH and INSTANT.

My goal with this project was to make the sled behave like a 4 cylinder engine, more consistent power across the entire rpm range, with no feeling of "Boost" at any place. And this is exactly what I got!

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE RESULT!

I know guys go on and on and on about turbos.
But it honestly beats the heck out of me why.

The Supercharged ride is just SOOO much more smooth and consistent. There is no surge at any time, just loads of avaiable torque always there for you at an instant's notice.

Here's the $5,000 question..
Having done the full installation from start to finish, and having ridden the sled, would I do it all again?

WITHOUT ANY HESITATION AT ALL.
I am that satisfied with the final result.

Would I recommend this kit for other Nytro Owners.
ABSOLUTELY!

Do you need to be a motor-head to do the install.
NO, but you will need a decent tool kit, attention to detail, and some buddies on SnoWest who will answer the occasional stupid question you ask without making you feel like a fool !:face-icon-small-hap

CONGRATULATIONS MPI.
You have built a wonderful product.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
2 afterthoughts I should mention.

I do have 1 niggle that has to be chased down.
Every single time I start the engine, it stops after about 3-4 seconds.
This happens 100% of the time.
If it is at idle, the engine will stall.
2nd startup and it runs perfectly.

If I start the engine and take off, the engine will die for about 0.5 seconds and then come right back to life and be fine for the rest of the ride.

Clearly this is an electrical issue, and I will begin chasing it down this coming week.

Its absolutely consistent in it's behavior, and right now I don't have a clue whats causing it. In terms of riding it had almost no impact on me other than to make me wonder WHY its happening at all.

2nd thing.
The Boost is sooooo much fun.
Dang, talk about addictive.
NOW I understand what everyone was talking about.
I will almost certainly lighten up the clutch and change out my pulleys this summer to increase the performance for next season. I can already see the writting on the wall!!!

B

BLUE BLOOD

Aug 15, 2008
CO
Hi Christopher,

I feel that the stalling problem is the fuel controller, and you need gauges.

1-a/f
2-engine temp
3-s/c oil temp

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Hi Christopher,

I feel that the stalling problem is the fuel controller, and you need gauges.

1-a/f
2-engine temp
3-s/c oil temp
Ya.
The gauges are already ON THE TO-DO LIST!

So your thinking the engine is loosing fuel for a moment?

It "feels" like the key is being turned OFF for half a second.
I can be under throttle and it just STOPS for a split second and then resumes like nothing happened.

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
Im having a similar problem sometimes it wont start the first try, i wait a minute then it fires right up. I talked with matt he said it was the yamaha nytro ECU he said i could turn up the idle screw to fix it.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Im having a similar problem sometimes it wont start the first try, i wait a minute then it fires right up. I talked with matt he said it was the yamaha nytro ECU he said i could turn up the idle screw to fix it.
That was my first thought when it first happened.
Just thought the idle was a bit low with the extra drag of the supercharger turning.

But it happens as a function of TIME not throttle setting.
Couple seconds after startup and it dies.

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
Just found out our helpful buddy Mat no longer works for MPI. I thought he was a great guy and always helped me out on any problems i was having. Might need to take a better look at MCX for a Turbo install on my other nytro.

Premium Features