• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hit a stump, need opinions...

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
www.backcountryrebles.com
I hit a large stump this weekend, was only traveling about 1/10th MPH but it bent the bulkhead a little bit. The hood cracked, the belly pan is junk, and it broke the intake. Both A-arms on once side have paint cracking around the welds but they still look straight. This may have been from a really bad landing a couple weeks ago (cracked some ribs, bruised my liver) but it is my main concern and the topic of this thread.

How concerned should I be about the A-Arms? I have a big 5 day ride coming up in a couple weeks and I don't want it cut short by cracked or broken a-arms. I'll drop the 150 bones for new ones if you all think I need to, but my past experience (no prior experience with M-Sleds) says to not worry about them.

Whatcha think?

IMG_1843.JPG IMG_1838.JPG

B

bullfrog123

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 10, 2008
Ashton, Idaho
Pic 1 looks like there may be a hairline crack in the area of the paint chip. Look closely at that area, maybe just the lighting or the flash of the camera. Just my obervations so far. As for the bushings, that crap is very normal for them, I keep a couple on hand every season for that reason.

T

T-Bone

Nov 11, 2005
Shelby, MT
I'd replace them just for the piece of mind. I wouldn't want a 5 day trip ruined over something that I had doubts about before I left.

M
Jul 5, 2001
Wyoming
I'd replace them just for the piece of mind. I wouldn't want a 5 day trip ruined over something that I had doubts about before I left.

I agree with T bone- and since you seem to ride prettty aggressivley I would go with the Zbros front end- it is lighter/ stronger and you gain an inch and it appears you might benifit from the gains over what the stock junk is,

M
Nov 26, 2007
Maine
m7 i ride with just did this. he bolted the a-arms back on that look similar and they didnt fit right anymore. then they let go. replace them and be safe.

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
If they look straight just take them to a good welder in the area and have them run another bead where you think they are cracked. Much cheaper and probably better than new if you find a good welder.

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
www.backcountryrebles.com
If they look straight just take them to a good welder in the area and have them run another bead where you think they are cracked. Much cheaper and probably better than new if you find a good welder.

The paint is cracked, the welds are not, but the parent metal may be cracked right at the edge of the filler. However it is much more likely that the factory just cold lapped the weld there. I'm not too worried about the welds themselves, just the HAZ around the welds.

Anyone know if the stock arms are 4340 or 4130, I'd guess they are 1018 or similar. (not chromolly) I don't have any problem welding them myself other than I'd rather spend my time building something better. While I'm at it I might as well build some 4140 bushings instead of that powdered metal junk.

R
Feb 2, 2008
Grande Prairie
did the same to mine. Stressed them out a bit that the paint flaked off at the welds. They look straight yea but wait till you take them off and put them on the garage floor!! they wont lay flat i will bet money on it! Change them out, best thing i did. Now i don't have to worry about one thing:)

U
Nov 29, 2007
s

Just buy a set and keep them in the truck. All the tools needed to change them out are under your seat. if they break change them out. It might cut a day short but wont stop you from riding the other days.

R
Feb 2, 2008
Grande Prairie
changing the bottom a-arm is a *****. you have to take all the plastic off to get to that rear bulkhead bolt. You and your buddies would be working on it for at least 3 hours on the side of the mountain if you rode until they broke. which would = some pissed off buddies. My theory is; I spent over $14000 on this sled, so whats $200?:)

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
I'd change them for piece of mind at least... I don't know about it taking 3 hours to change though... Wife cliped a tree over the weekend and took upper and lower a arms but saved the float. Pulled it down and replaced both upper and lower in about an hour and a half all while drinking a few beers.:):beer;

Premium Features