• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to snowbikes need suggestions

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Looking at getting a bike and timbersled kit for next season. Looking for a great bike for snowbiking first and foremost. Want the least amount of problems and work to switch to dirt and back. As far as a dirtbike im not very good and will mostly be mountain riding on trails and what not, very little track riding if any at all. Id prefer electric start. Im buying the bike mostly for snowbiking then summer usage 2nd. Im pretty savvy on a sled so I think ill be able to ride the bike harder in the snow then on dirt. I have a buddy who has a ktm500 but I think it may be too much for dirt. So basically looking for the best 450. then which kit? LT ST or SX? Buying new btw.
Currently riding a 15 ProCLimb and an 09 Honda CRF450X

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Simple answer here IMO

The best bikes for snow biking are the worst for trail riding.

Hence I have a 300 2 stroke for trail and a 450 race bike for track/faster trail and snow m

My opinion is the 500 XC-W or husky/berg 501 are way, way easier to trail ride dirt with compared to a 450 race bike. If I wanted one bike to do it all, I would probably get the Husky 501.

I rode a 14 500 XC-W two full days in technical mountain terrain and loved it. At least the motor. One of my favorite 4 stroke trail bikes. 6 speed tranny is sweet and it's geared for trails. Lugs pretty well. However you could never pry my 300 2 stroke out of my hands for technical trail riding.

The 450 MX bikes work best with timbersled because of the close ratio tranny and fast revving hard hitting power.

The 500 revs slower and only to about 9000 RPM vs my 450 revs to 11,400 RPM. Also the wide ratio tranny is a disadvantage. However the 500 works just fine. Just don't be surprised if the 450 outperforms the 500.

So pick your poison.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
The KTM 500 has won several awards including Best Dual Sport/Enduro Motorcycle (several years). I don't think you could find a better 4 stroke bike to transfer to summer riding (unless you are talking track riding) than the 500exc unless you decided to roll 2 stroke with the 300.

That being said, Glenn is correct. The 450 is the weapon of choice for most steep and deep riders and it doesn't translate to dirt riding as well as the 500. You can make the 450 work for you with a few upgrades (suspension, Rekluse Core EXP, fuel tank upgrade, gearing, etc) and it can be just as good in the dirt as the other bikes. Just don't snap the throttle at the wrong time on a tight single track.... bad things happen.

just to repeat for snow any 450, I started off 3 years ago with a 06 yz450 and a 2motto and that thing was pinned all winter, luckily held up especially cuz it was older. I just bought a beta cuz I wanted elec start(trust me kicking a bike in 20deg cold gets old quick)but Im not telling you to go 2motto as I am buying a new 16 TS but these things get bashed for no reason. I think some people expect riding to be easy and snow conditions not effect your ride but trust me their are sketchy days and you just learn how to be a better rider.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
I am happy with my YZ450. Runs spot on and has good snort here at WA altitude anyway and it's an 11.
Elect start would be nice though. Not sure I'd give up a close ratio gearbox for it, so whoever you can get a track bike with elect start from.
Wyoming = LT kit if I had the choice. I have a ST here in the wet snow and could see needing a LT in real powder

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I am happy with my YZ450. Runs spot on and has good snort here at WA altitude anyway and it's an 11.
Elect start would be nice though. Not sure I'd give up a close ratio gearbox for it, so whoever you can get a track bike with elect start from.
Wyoming = LT kit if I had the choice. I have a ST here in the wet snow and could see needing a LT in real powder

Husqy/KTM are the only track bikes with Estart I know of... but no kick for backup, that scares me in the snow.

Premium Features