• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M5 engine swap

iroc1132

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2008
SE Idaho
Thinking about swapping the engine out of my sons M5. He is outgrown the little 500. I have a donor '03 F-7 just sitting there waiting to be parted out. Has anyone out there ever stuffed a 600 or 700 into the M5. Looks pretty straight forward, but looks can come back and bite you too. It could be a fun project for us this summer if its a fairly simple deal.
Thanks for the info.

mortelec

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2011
Crosslake, MN
The bulkheads are the same on the early 500, 600 and 700 M. The brackets, hoses, electronics, wiring, and other misc parts might nickel and dime you though but is definetly a good summer project. I'm building a 800 and am almost complete. I used a 06 bulkhead and a 10 tunnel so a lot of trial and error I've run into.

runner

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Canada
This would be a easy swap, all bolt in, especially if you have a complete doner sled.
This is very much like the 700 I installed in a 440 race chassis.
One thing you will need is a M7 pipe because the F7 pipe will be too short for the M chassis.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
This would be a easy swap, all bolt in, especially if you have a complete doner sled.
This is very much like the 700 I installed in a 440 race chassis.
One thing you will need is a M7 pipe because the F7 pipe will be too short for the M chassis.

Are you sure about the pipe? I've used a '05 M7 pipe on a '03 F7 without any problem. I didn't switch cans, so not sure about that.

runner

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Canada
Are you sure about the pipe? I've used a '05 M7 pipe on a '03 F7 without any problem. I didn't switch cans, so not sure about that.

Well I was sure there was a difference but if iroc1132 already has a F7 he will be able to tell us for sure.

iroc1132

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2008
SE Idaho
Well I was sure there was a difference but if iroc1132 already has a F7 he will be able to tell us for sure.

Well, if thats the biggest hurdle I will run into then this project is a GO! Good point on the pipe, I just assumed they were the same. But it wouldn't suprise me if they were just different enough to not work due to the different hood and exhaust can outlet. But I bet I could round up an m7 pipe somewhere cheap. And I know I'll need a new can.
Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.

runner

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Canada
Some more info.

You will need the wiring harness from the F7, then you will need a 3 wire voltage regulator from a efi. ZR etc. The 2003 F7 with the efi. has the regulator on the driveshaft.
Other thing is the fuel pump has to go in the tank. I think you should be able to drill the holes for it, worst case is a efi tank.

C
Nov 14, 2008
swap

I am thinking about doing this too. Let me know how it works out. I need an M7 setup. I like his M5 and think an M7 would work sweet in it.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I am watching as well. I thought about doing this a couple years ago but, was scared off by the need for a new ECU, wiring harness, etc.

I will be watching and learning from your efforts.

iroc1132

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2008
SE Idaho
I'll try to keep you guys updated on the progress. I expect to get started on this project in the next few weeks. As soon as my 153 rails show up I will have all the major components needed to make the transformation. Then will see if it will nickel and dime me to death. Seems most of my "simple" projects do.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I added a 144 x 2.5" Camo Extreme to our M5. That little bugger really hooks up hard. I did the 2009 - 2011 rear end modification. I added a 10.4" secondary with a Cutler setup. The bottom end improved a lot. I added the SLP intake to the sled as well. I have a Boss seat on the sled and I put Powder Pros on the front end and I just put on some zero pro front shocks because the stock Ryde FX weren't performing so hot once they got warm.

Now I have an adjustable handle bar setup to put on the sled. Will I add it, the jury is still out.

I just can't get the rear suspension to work like I think it should.

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
I think with the pipe we are talking like 3/4 of a inch shorter with f7.
I would bet the farm with a aftermarket can the pipe would work fine.
I had a BMP fat azz f7 pipe on a xfire with a can and was just a bit of pounding to change angel of can a bit to fit

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
As long as you have everything from the 03 F7 you should be good to go aside from what was said above about the Voltage regulator. The tank if you look hard enough the holes are there to be drilled, there like that on all carbed cats except ZRs as you had to cut open a hole the way the pump sat in from the top.
I would just look for an aftermarket pipe/can clutch it and leave it, but all motor parts and servo match up to 2009/2010 after the 600 was dropped, wiring changed a bunch in 07 up as everything else did.
But I have a 03 F7 pipe on my BB800 09 CFR and it fits ok I guess....
But its a nice swap and a good motor to build off of once he gets bored of the 700, 800/900 kits are always showing up cheap now a days.

iroc1132

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2008
SE Idaho
So it has begun. M5 stripped down to bare bones. I removed the 141" tunnel extension and installed a 153" extension from my '07 1000. Removed engine, wiring, hoses and cables from F-7. So far it looks like everything will be fairly easy. The pto side mounting plate even bolts right up. Thermostat outlet neck is different diameter, but the parts swapped over. I looked the gas tank over for the spot where a fuel pump could be installed. Not there. There is a bulge where the fuel line attaches. I could probably make it work, but I have the fuel tank from my M1000, so no point in making things complicated.
The oil pump check valves on F-7 engine were leaking, now is the time to change those. The upper a-arm bushings on the M-5 were completely worn out. They are nylon?! Must have been a first year thing. Shocks are off getting rebuilt and re-valved. Diamond drive has been taken apart, inspected and assembled with fresh oil. 3 wire voltage regulator is on order.
So far this is a no-brainer and looks like it will work out well. As soon as I get the check valves I will get the engine set in place and start wiring and plumbing. That may be where the problems start. Something is bound to be difficult, so far it is just too simple.

m5 stripped.jpg

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
Once you do a few it gets pretty easy, we have swapped lots of older SP 440s with EFI 700s. That coolent part on the F7 was updated in 04 or 05 so it should have been changed anyhow. Other then that by the pic your half way there.

iroc1132

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2008
SE Idaho
Done

So the swap is complete! Not that bad at all and the F-7 pipe fits. Yes it could be about an inch longer, but it fits fine with no hammer mods. Bought a new Ultra-Q silencer and everything hooks up just like it should. The only part that made me work was the wiring. Going from '03 F to '05 M has too many differences in harness connectors. So I found a main and hood harness from an '06 M7 and then just had to swap connectors for the engine. Had to buy the bracket to mount the power valve servo motor to the arch. But at least the valve cables were the correct length. Most everything else was just simple swapping of parts. It helped a lot having a complete donor sled right there, and the pile of old M series parts from my 1000 helped too. Really looking forward to getting this thing on the snow and seeing how it goes. Thanks for the input guys, I was wavering on the fence, but now I am glad I pulled the trigger on this and did the conversion. It looks really good, if you didn't know any better you would think its an original stocker!
We don't know what to call it though. In keeping with the new sleds and all the parts that went into it I am leaning towards the M5700.
Now I just have to get rid of this F-7 chassis and cute little 500 engine. Who needs an engine for their go-cart? Or better yet, golf cart.

Premium Features