• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 QRS3 shocks need free 2018 update

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
And I don’t know where to send them. I have asked several people who usually know this kind of thing and haven’t had any luck. So if anyone knows where I am supposed to send the shocks or how I am supposed to get the free update I heard Fox is offering please post it here.
Thanks!

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Ya. Did both. Dealer was zero help and they sold me the 17 shocks in 18. Emailed a guy at Fox today that Tom of Toms snowmobile recommended and he said the only dif between the 17 and 18 is the spring. Which is wrong. He also said there wasn’t a FREE upgrade but I got this from a Ski Doo ambassador and another buddy who’s pretty well informed.

What sucks is I’ve ALWAYS bought my Fox shocks from Toms and I’ve always got exactly what I needed,great set up advice, great service and mods to the shocks as needed from Toms. My local dealer is generally great with sleds and sled service and I wanted to give them some of my sled mod money too. They stock a lot of great Avy stuff, clothing, Doo accessories etc.
I’ll not be buying Fox stuff from anyone but Toms in the future.

Last edited:

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Could your friend be mistaken on years?

There was a free service on front ski Evol R shocks in the 14-15 season of shocks. A negative spring would break. Had a set that I had to send back to get repaired.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Anything is possible but the Ski Doo ambassador is the guy who helped them fix the spring rate and valving. Looks like Tom is going to get some of my “riches” Chadly.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
So it looks like Fox is going to help me with this. Get me the new springs at least. Pretty cool. Not sure what to do with the valving but Tom told me to ask for 30% more compression and 20% more rebound.

S
Dec 13, 2007
So it looks like Fox is going to help me with this. Get me the new springs at least. Pretty cool. Not sure what to do with the valving but Tom told me to ask for 30% more compression and 20% more rebound.

I ran a set on my shock dyno and while I'm out east, I was surprised at how soft the shocks were on both compression and rebound. The ones I tested had 80lbs springs.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
So the service/warranty manager said the 2018 springs were 90lbs. I sent my shocks in on about the 19th or 20th of Dec and I got THEM BACK ON THE 2TH!!!
Fox closed for their Christmas break on the 21st so they must have hustled my shocks thru quick in order to get them back to me before their holiday. They got the springs changed out, can’t confirm the valving changes I asked for were done.
THANKS FOX!

N
Dec 18, 2012
Bothell, Wa
Looking at getting an upgrade how does Tom's structure their shock pricing, are the shocks retail priced then extra for valving/tuning, discounted shocks or is everything together? I called last week but couldn't get anyone on the phone and their website is pretty basic.

W
Sep 9, 2013
Looking at getting an upgrade how does Tom's structure their shock pricing, are the shocks retail priced then extra for valving/tuning, discounted shocks or is everything together? I called last week but couldn't get anyone on the phone and their website is pretty basic.

I can't speak for all but the 1.5 zeros I got from him this week were below advertised retail, valving was dirt cheap and he gave me credit for the 2 stock springs and 1 body he replaced due to my weight and having a 175. All told a set of 4 shocks tuned for me shipped was less than the retail price of the shocks alone.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy

Toms usually includes valving if needed, in the purchase price. Some folks don’t need a valving change, while others require a lot. Also keep in mind if you get a set from Toms and you don’t like the valving take them off and let Tom work them over for you. He will make the shocks right for you, even if he valved them before sending them out to you.

Top notch in my book

N
Dec 18, 2012
Bothell, Wa
I can't speak for all but the 1.5 zeros I got from him this week were below advertised retail, valving was dirt cheap and he gave me credit for the 2 stock springs and 1 body he replaced due to my weight and having a 175. All told a set of 4 shocks tuned for me shipped was less than the retail price of the shocks alone.

Did you just get shocks or the torsion delete also?

Do you have a direct emali for him other than the generic inquiry on their site? I'll shoot him an email since I couldn't reach him by phone last week

W
Sep 9, 2013
Did you just get shocks or the torsion delete also?

Do you have a direct emali for him other than the generic inquiry on their site? I'll shoot him an email since I couldn't reach him by phone last week

I stuck with torsions but am going to a higher rate spring.

I called early Monday and left a message with a lady. Tom called me back in a couple hours. I gather he gets behind on a regular basis. I would try early mornings.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID

I would guess that would help a lot. I bought 2 full sets of shocks from Fox in 2017, it took ONE ride to pull them off and sell them. SO far off. The ski shocks were so so so bad, I would think that a stiffer spring and the mentioned valving upgrades would help a ton. It was very clear that Fox does not test. Good that they are taking care of you!

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
So I got my first ride on these shocks. Bolted them on at 1am the night before a ride so the went on just as they came from Fox. REALLY LIKE THE STIFFER SPRING. Great on the whooped out trail, better sidehilling thru old tracks and the sled carves and turn WAY better. I think I need a little more preload and eventually I’ll want more compression damping. I rode most of the day on 3, be nice to have that as the two setting so I can go either way. It feels like Fox didn’t do the 30% increase in comp damping I asked for. I’m at 12 on rebound, I’ll bump that too, feels like about 15-16 up from full soft is where they want to be with the current valve set up in them.
I thought they were bottoming at first but they just really get stiff about halfway thru the compression stroke and they do clunk when topping out. Just a little distracting, wish there was a way to soften that out.

toms

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2010
CA
www.tomssnowmobile.com
I would guess that would help a lot. I bought 2 full sets of shocks from Fox in 2017, it took ONE ride to pull them off and sell them. SO far off. The ski shocks were so so so bad, I would think that a stiffer spring and the mentioned valving upgrades would help a ton. It was very clear that Fox does not test. Good that they are taking care of you!

This is not true or accurate. 2 years ago we tested with Fox in the Evanston, Wy. area with several riders that regularly comment on here. We worked out of Steve Martins shop. They test every year. They are currently in the Island Park area testing now.
If you buy Fox shocks through the Ski Doo dealership those shocks are built to Ski Doo specifications, not Fox. These are incredibly soft.

Premium Features