• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Kid size to sled ratio

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
What are your thoughts on kid size to sled ratio. My little brother is 9 and is a shrimp (80 pounds 4' 2"). He rode a 120 until last year when i upgraded him to a 300 freestyle which fits him ok, but maybe a bit big. What size have you moved kids to a pro rmk 600 size sled? He will be on this 300 a minimum of another year just learning the basics in the Black Hills in South Dakota as well as at home. Definitely not ready size wise or experience wise this year, but also don't want to wait to long to upgrade and end up hindering progress.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Define "progress"

My honest opinion: When it comes to progress - meaning really learning how to throw a snowmobile around and really make it go exactly where you want it to go, the worst thing you can do for them is to put them on a sled that is too big for them. The way to really learn how to ride using your body weight is to ride something small enough that your body weight actually has an effect on the machine.

Now there's the other definition of "progress" that might be that the kid can follow you on more days to more places because he's able to take a bigger machine and control it just enough to mostly go where you go and not hit a tree. For that kind of progress, then you are more looking to bigger sleds to get there. I'm just not quite as interested in that type of progress.

My kid is 9 (also small for 9) and we bought a snoscoot last year right when they came out. It has been awesome for him to progress and learn some really good things. I wish he would have had it at 5 or 6 though and his progress would be even substantially better.

Depending on how big he gets and how fast, I would probably be really prone to leave him on that 300 for quite a while before going to a 600.

Unless AC actually comes out with this rumored new 300 - then get him that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExxXEeBJNXk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrW6aP73K80

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc5Ma4yVaAs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwqd_VuNOxY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vyto4gvP84

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
It is a struggle for sure. I took Tater off his Mod 120 when I was certain that he was going to break it in half. He got his mod 340 Indy, rode it well until I let him take my 850 Doos for a quick rip on the lake. He refused to ride his 340 after that. He is 8, was 7 when this happened. Big for his age. I got sick and tired of upgrading all the time, so he has a 16 M6000 now. He will grow into it. After watching him ride my 850, I am confident that he has enough throttle control to handle it. It will be a while until he can actually ride the chassis. Maybe. He surprises me all the time. Did the same thing with dirt bikes, he has had 4 in the last two years because he outgrows them so fast.
I get that manufacturers need to make money, a sled is a sled, regardless of size it still has the same parts. Kinda. So why is a 600 RMK $2000 less than a 800RMK? Same sled, smaller pistons.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
My kids all rode the kitty to four, 120 to six, phazer to 8, mseries from there.
All six could follow along for a tankful by the time they were on the phazer.

Only one boy. Lots of good memories, youngest now 10, oldest just off to college. All are watching the forecast for snow.

W
Dec 7, 2017
Silt, CO
All are watching the forecast for snow.

^^^Well Done! No matter what sled they have been on, I want my boys to build a passion for a hobby that gives them so much. The prices I've paid are nothing for the confidence, self-esteem, and love of the mountains they've got in return.

My oldest is 10 (11 in the spring), this year he is on his 5th sled. Started on a 120, then a bravo 250, on to a 380, a 600 last year that ate a piston, and now this year he is on a 800. I know it is more sled than he needs, but I also trust his throttle control and senses. After watching him rip around on my 800 last year and the fun he had, it made no sense to buy another sled I'd be replacing in 1-2 years. I am not stating all 10 year olds should be on an 800, but it works for him. My youngest 8, is on a 550 fan. He has good skills and is plenty capable for his age, although he is a little to brave to put him on a liquid cooled. Keep in mind they started riding sleds at 3 and 4.

No matter the machine, I want them on a sled that is as capable as they themselves can be. Each year they have accomplished new skills, climbs, and techniques. Would they still of had fun on the 250? Certainly, but they would never have grown in the sport the way they have with the limitations of that sled. Kind of like pants, buy em' a little big, but something they can still be comfortable in! ha

W
Dec 7, 2017
Silt, CO
It is probably worth mentioning altitude as well. At 10k feet a 120 is barely capable of 10mph on a groomed trail. If we were riding lower elevations I'd think the size (cc's) would not have increased so quickly.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
We ride 5-10k.

Trick with the kids is keep em warm and dry. They’re happier warm on a beater than cold on a brand new.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
All good input. I saw a ZR200 today, kinda impressed other than it is no bigger rider-wise than a 120. And it is $4K. Whoever comes out with a true legit 3/4 sled is going to kill it. Actually, they won't make much, but they will get brand loyalty. I am now a Doo guy, mostly because of my dealership, but I have a very soft spot in my heart for Cats, as I grew up with them and have great memories. Truth be told, the family has 3 Cats, 3 Doos, and a Poo.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Don’t overlook the old pogo fan phasers for a mid size. Good set of cat plastic skis and any kid can ride them, plus they go crazy fast for their size so they are fantastic for following behind in the mountains. Even in deep powder the kids can tag a long in pretty serious terrain. We’ve been through five, never paid over 1k, never had a breakdown. Perfect for dragging sleds across the pasture.
Easy to block throttle for the learners.

M5 is one of cats best kept secrets for youth for some reason. Paid $1500 for my youngest daughter, she never gets stuck on it, 10 yrs old and this is her third year on it. One day last year her older brother has his m6 buried, calls her over,
“Can’t you get stuck once so I don’t feel like an idiot?” She responds by running in circles around him until he’s dug out.
Pretty sure it’ll be in the family for the grand kids whenever that happens....

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Getting my 340 ready to sell so I was taking plenty of pictures.

Pretty amazing comparing it to a 2013 600.

For a 340 though, I like it.
- electric start
- skid plate
- plastic skis
- Fabcraft running board grips
- dash bag
- 136 x 1.5" track
- hot grips
- hotdogger

IMG_3990 small.jpg

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
All good input. I saw a ZR200 today, kinda impressed other than it is no bigger rider-wise than a 120. And it is $4K. Whoever comes out with a true legit 3/4 sled is going to kill it. Actually, they won't make much, but they will get brand loyalty. I am now a Doo guy, mostly because of my dealership, but I have a very soft spot in my heart for Cats, as I grew up with them and have great memories. Truth be told, the family has 3 Cats, 3 Doos, and a Poo.

The 200 is bigger rider-wise than the 120s. My 5 year old twins can't reach the boards on the 200, my nearly 8 year old fits great!. I'll add a picture sometime.

That being said, the 5 year olds ride the 200 pretty well. I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade them to it from the 120s in another year.

We had the older boy on a full size fan sled last year, the 200 is a better fit, the rumored 300 would be better yet. The 200 would be awesome with twice the power and slightly more track.

I'm still quite impressed with the 200, for what it is. It went on a short trail ride. A little on the slow side for a real ride, but he had a blast. Then the adults all took a turn riding it around.
05747e0ad40e90a93047b16a10016ac0.jpg

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Disagree

I have to disagree vehemently with Devilmanak. Not cause he's a bad guy or anything, but just because my experience so far has been 180 degrees different.

"no bigger ride wise than the 120" I can understand somebody saying this, because the two sleds are obviously built on the same tunnel and bulkhead. However, when you add the taller seat, taller handlebars, longer track, and not to mention a top speed that about triples the 120, thanks in part to the clutch as much as anything I believe, the Scoot/ZR200 is light years beyond the 120 in everything related to performance. If somebody out there decided to not buy a ZR200 or snoscoot because they were under the impression that it's "only very minimally better" than a 120, that would be a terrible mistake. I have a 2015 AC 120 and a 2018 snoscoot. The snoscoot is really really significantly better...like lots. If I had to choose to sell one, I would sell the 120 and the debate wouldn't even be close.

And the price? $4k? That's only $1k, or 25% higher than the $3k price of the little 120. For all the reasons mentioned above, if you look at what was added to this machine and then realize that you get all that, for a sticker that's only a grand higher. What a bargain!! Not to mention that these things are guaranteed to hold their value on the resale market just like the 120's have for the past 2 decades. Proven track record.

I do agree on the speculation part, that if anybody actually put out a REAL 3/4 sled, that it would be VERY popular and would actually be the better choice for almost anybody who is under 125 pounds (and when you think about all the wives and teenagers, there are a lot of folks under 125 pounds).

Last edited:
Premium Features