• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

iqr 800...for those who don't like tunnel ext's

P
Mar 12, 2008
sunnyvale trailer park
The edge roll piping has phenomenal traction, it doesn't need any more tabs. the top of the roll has little gripper teeth just like on all edge and genII chassis boards. This is the same roll that terra alps uses on their tunnels
PA210559.jpg

P
Mar 12, 2008
sunnyvale trailer park
looks sick man!! what gauge of material did you make that out of? Do you have any concerns about the sides of the tunnel flexing or buldgeing given that all the rider weight is right onto those pipes that come out...not criticising at all, just wanted to do somthing similar and get some input...
Again sick work!!!

The top of the tunnel ext is.062" The sides are .125" I realize .125 sound a bit heavy for the sides of a tunnel, but any lighter and it would have warped really bad from tigging the pipe on there, and it surely would have cracked over time around the welds. I've had my 250lb buddy jump up and down on the boards and it flexes less than the stocker boards did

M

MNIQR

Feb 28, 2006
Having owned a IQR mountain (well kinda 144") mod i have to say thats awesome.
2 things that you still need IMO;
1. brads 2" shorter aluminum spindles
2. br tech all black thrasher hood (same plastic as the belly pan)

One question on the air box, i was considering doing something like that but i thought what about when carving hard on that side in the deep POW POW? will it get enough air? I then thought well maybe i should run something like that out to the center console as well as a "back up" air supply. But i ended up selling it before i came up with a solid idea for me to go on. Again just a thought.
Looks sweet!!

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
Nice fab work!

For the guys that have or have ridden a mountainized IQR how is the wide front end for turning and side hilling?

Nov 26, 2007
carberry, manitoba
i like it. i like how you decided to just hack off the old tunnel part and add on your own. i also really like the running boards. i built my boards solid then i am going to cut slots then bend the slots up for traction, but now after seeing yours, i like that much better. can you get a pic of how you tied it into the footrest and such? just a general shot of the footrest area would do.
again, very nice.
clarence

snow_knight

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills,SD
Have you been spying on some of my ol'mod sleds.. a couple years ago me and all my buddies built boards almost identical to those.. some with cooler... some without.. they work amazing.. only thing we did different was to have the outside rail a little higher than the inside cross bars.. The first couple we built a persons foot would slide off pretty easy (side to side).. front to back they grab very well though....

I think you will like it.. great looking sled.. :D

P
Mar 12, 2008
sunnyvale trailer park
Knight, as far as I knew nobody had tried that footrest idea, but it's not exactly rocket science so I'm not at all suprised to hear I am not the first lol
mniqr, I would love to find a thrasher for it, a buddy had one on a wedge it was the best lightweight upgrade you could do to any sled. I am going to try it before I opt for lowering the front end though. I'm pretty sure it will not starve for air with that setup, the vent is quite high on the panel, the area of airflow is quite a bit larger than factory, and I have had many old style intakes completely submerged in pow and they somehow manage to stay running. A back-up intake isn't a bad idea at all though.
69 charged, the boards mount on the footrest the same way the factory 440 did, the edge roll slips over the tube built into the footrest. This edge roll is identical dimensions (i.d. and o.d.)to polaris' I did remove the traction covers from the footrest though I will give you a pic if you p.m. me your e-mail

V
Jul 4, 2008
orem, utah
not to sound ignorant here but what is the benefit to making a mountain sled out of an iqr chassis as compared to having rmk? just wondeirng because it seems to be popular. the sled looks realy good by the way!

H
Jan 1, 2008
Great lookin sled, one thing that caught my eye was the two wheel kit. Is it fabbed up or bought? On my two wheel kit the adjustment bolts had to be moved to the inside of the rails. I see that yours are still outside.

P
Mar 12, 2008
sunnyvale trailer park
not to sound ignorant here but what is the benefit to making a mountain sled out of an iqr chassis as compared to having rmk? just wondeirng because it seems to be popular. the sled looks realy good by the way!

When built right the iqr can be over 60 lbs lighter than a new dragon of comparable track length. The iqr chassis is arguably the strongest one on snow these days, second only to an apex maybe, but without the huge weight penalty. And of course the rider position is far superior over the raw chassis. when you stand on these you feel like you are right over the motor. Just a few advantages:)
Don't forget how sweet they look too, they are very aggressive looking and feeling.

Anyone who has ridden one of these machines has been begging for polaris to finally wisen up and offer the rmk in the rr chassis with big block power and recapture the 1st place market position. Why they haven't yet is beyond me. Now I hope they don't, it'll make mine worth less lol!

Last edited:
P
Mar 12, 2008
sunnyvale trailer park
Great lookin sled, one thing that caught my eye was the two wheel kit. Is it fabbed up or bought? On my two wheel kit the adjustment bolts had to be moved to the inside of the rails. I see that yours are still outside.

this kit was on it when I bought the iqr, but it is identical to the kit i built for my gen II. They are stupidly easy to make, and all the parts you need are already on a stock 3 wheel rmk. You just need to cut the factory pipe on the axle the right width to space the 2 wheels evenly, move the 2 outer wheels to the inside and use the plastic blocks to space everything. After market kits do look a bit better though because they don't use the plastic blocks on the outside of the rails, but I don't really shive a git free is free lol.

V
Jul 4, 2008
orem, utah
When built right the iqr can be over 60 lbs lighter than a new dragon of comparable track length. The iqr chassis is arguably the strongest one on snow these days, second only to an apex maybe, but without the huge weight penalty. And of course the rider position is far superior over the raw chassis. when you stand on these you feel like you are right over the motor. Just a few advantages:)
Don't forget how sweet they look too, they are very aggressive looking and feeling.

Anyone who has ridden one of these machines has been begging for polaris to finally wisen up and offer the rmk in the rr chassis with big block power and recapture the 1st place market position. Why they haven't yet is beyond me. Now I hope they don't, it'll make mine worth less lol!

all of those things make sense. i'll admit, i ride doo and am pretty ignorant to other chassis's and their pro's and con's. the iq chassis definately looks superior but i was un aware of the weight savings. the sled looks great!

P
Mar 12, 2008
sunnyvale trailer park
unfortunately my budget ran out and I had to use an rmk skid that I already had.....not the lightest thing going and not the greatest ride either, but now that the sled is built it will be easy to put something else on when I have a couple g's to throw away. Track is a series 4 159. What I want under this thing is a 150x2 1/2 camo extreme with an easyride.....someone care to sponshur me? heehee

Premium Features