• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

strange problem, 2012 M8 turbo.

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
hey guys i have a strange problem here. i have a 2012 m800 with a CPC stage 2 turbo. about a month ago i pulled the top end to check and i replaced my reeds and then re assembled. soon after the whole sled was torn down for a tunnel replacement and powder coating. well i finally got it together tonight and it fired up after a few pulls and seemed to run fine. then it died. i did as much searching as i could and cant find anything wrong with the wiring. when i have the kill switch in the running position i get full spark but it wont build fuel pressure. if i move the kill switch to the off position i get no spark but it will build my normal fuel pressure. so obviously the sled wont run and i have no idea why. anybody have anything i should check here? thanks

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Where the chassis was just powder coated, I would still check all the grounds to make sure that you sanded or ground off the powder coating. If you did not, it will not make a good connection.

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
i will double check but nothing under the hood was coated just bumpers, skid etc. the new tunnel was a take off from a LTD so it would be good already. thanks for the help guys.

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
well i checked grounds and the only grounds are 2 wires on the frame above the chain case. removed the tether and put to stock to try, installed the hood and gauges but nothing helped.

Whimp

Lifetime Membership
Oct 4, 2012
Laurel Montana
I'd check to make sure you didnt put a rivot or screw or dill bit through your rear brake wires. If you teaked one and it is grounding out it would act like this.....man these issues can be frustrating....

quick way to check this is to unplug the rear brake harness right above the brake disc....see if it changes anything.....

Whimp

Lifetime Membership
Oct 4, 2012
Laurel Montana
Is one of the grounds you are refering to underneath the water bottle? It is tucked back in there and can be way hard to see unless you know where it is.... It is on the back of one of the bolts that hold the steering support brace.... If you replaced a tunnel you probably removed this ground...

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
Checked everything over. Tried disconnecting tail light with no luck. Also disconnected secondary injectors and hooked everything up stock and still won't fire. I'm pretty sure it's getting fuel as after a bunch of pulls I can see fuel in the charge box. I get around 17 psi fuel pressure when I pull over with the kill switch "on" and 32 psi pressure with the kill switch "off"

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
for some reason something is interacting between your kill switch and fuel pump wiring i would venture to say..check your fuel pump wiring..

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
Is one of the grounds you are refering to underneath the water bottle? It is tucked back in there and can be way hard to see unless you know where it is.... It is on the back of one of the bolts that hold the steering support brace.... If you replaced a tunnel you probably removed this ground...

interested in this ground your talking about, can you explain where this is because i cant recall one being there, but i also cant exactly picture where you are talking. thanks.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
"installed the hood and gauges but nothing helped. "

So did you run it with the hood off at first? no headlights or gauges? You may have fried your ecu. It doesn't take long.

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
ive ran it multiple times since ive bought it with no hood on and never have had a problem, done it on other sleds too without a problem. all fuses are good, i checked that.

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
No problem running without hood. Done it several times.
I had start up on mine today after full powdercoating. No problems.
To make sure i had a good ground connection, I did grind away some paint under the bolts that hold the chaincase to the tunnel. Since ground wire are attached to the chaincase, you have to be sure that chaincase also has a good ground connection to the frame.

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
there is a ground wire attached to the chain case? i have grounds attached to the brace that goes from the chain case to the steering post but nothing attached to the case its self. the tunnel i installed was a factory take off so im sure if it worked on the old sled it should work on mine?

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
there is a ground wire attached to the chain case? i have grounds attached to the brace that goes from the chain case to the steering post but nothing attached to the case its self. the tunnel i installed was a factory take off so im sure if it worked on the old sled it should work on mine?

Yeah, it connects to the brace, where the brace are attached to the chaincase. I have paintet my braces, and had do grind away powdercoat there also.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

S
Nov 26, 2007
Dont know what all Dale sent you for a jumper wire for the fuel pump. If it is the same as mine you will have a jumper to power the fuel pump. Disconnect the plug at the jumper and charge the fuel pump up with a 9 volt battery then start the sled and test to see if you have power to the fuel pump pigtail while the sled is running. It will only run for 15 seconds or so then you will have to charge the fuel pump again with the 9 volt battery.

This will tell you if your fuel pump is ok and also that you have power to the pump when the sled is running. I am sure you have checked the power wire for the pigtail that runs the fuel pump.

Premium Features