• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

IQR vs Pro mountian riding

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
who has time on both back to back? i had a good amount of time on the IQ raw back to back with the IQR so i could compare them, but taking the last year and a half off for my back to heal up i havent had time on a PRO.

will a well set-up IQR hang with a PRO given they have the same HP?

a local guy said it would take an 800 IQR to hand with a 600 Pro due to the pro moving through the snow that much better.

Discsuss

Fast Rider

Lifetime Membership
Mar 12, 2010
Bonney Lake, WA
This is a great discussion Carl. My buddy runs a pro however its turbo'd so that mixes it up a bit. The pro is noticeably more narrow in the plastics so I feel it will not "panel out" as much as the IQR does on steep sidehills or tight carves. I did not feel as comfortable and confident on the pro as I do on my IQR. However I had maybe 10min of seat time on the pro vs 4 seasons on an IQR chassis.

My IQR was a 159 with a timbersled skid. I tried different setups with the rear skid and felt I could not get it to perform the way I wanted it to due to it's limited ability to transfer weight. I also felt the front torque arm was maybe too long and therefor put too much pressure on the front of the track coming down from the driveshaft. In other words, if the skid had the pressure in the front of the track that I wanted it to, there was a great amount of rolling resistance created where the front of the rails came into contact with the track, so I had to suck up the limiters to decrease the drag. I did not feel it was a great setup for a N/A motor. Turbo would have been great. So now I am going to a 155" pro skid and track and going to see how that transforms her. Motor is a stock 700cfi. Hopefully I can report more findings side by side with a stock pro this winter. Everyone seems to be on a pro, and there's no replacing the 'wow' factor these IQR mtns create.

Last edited:

Gmiller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Breckenridge Colorado
I've ridden both in two conditions. 1 time in heavy fall set up snow and 1 time in some of Colorado's finest champaign pow 2-1/2 ft deep. My IQR is running an 03 ves with twin slp race pipes and a 146 2.5 track. The pro was stock in the shorter track version. Although my time was limited and the fact I was not used to the pro can fault my opinion some. In the heavy wet snow, hands down my IQR had an advantage. Now in the fluffy stuff I felt the pro was easier to ride due to its lightweight and flotation. Now this is all my opinion and the sleds suspensions were set up severely different from each other. I feel these sled are very comparable if set up in a similar manner with equal hp.

H

hankohlson

Dec 2, 2007
HOOD RIVER OR
I've got my iqr set up with the 42.5 wide Zbroz set narrow 41.5 and a pro rear skid and a 155. I've ridden my buddies 13 pro and I would say they are pretty comparable biggest differences being the width, (ski and body work) and the QD belt set up seemed to pick up real good. With all the talk on how light the 13's are I wanted to know where I was at. I weighed my sled on a truck scale and it said I was at 460lbs with 3 gallons of fuel then I put in 6gal to fill it and ive got the 8.8 tank. So full ready to ride 496 I was pretty stoked. In the snowest shoot out they list the 2013 ready to ride weight at 535. My scale might be off a bit but when I stood on it, it was within a couple lbs of my bathroom scale.

The chassis stance is pretty close too. I'd say a well set up iqr can hang all day. We've had deep pow so far this year in the NW and Ive been very impressed at how well old iqr is getting arround compared to the new pros. It defiantly comes down to the individual sled set up and rider I'd say.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Running my 13 stock IQR next to stock 13 Pro 800, I am confused to say that I am more comfortable on the IQR in the hills. (50 miles or so on IQR, 300on Pro.) I don't get it at all, the IQR feels easier to tip up/sidehill to me even. Very confused.
I do know that the IQR flat sucks as far as traction goes, it is a trenching, no-traction pig in that regard.
I think some if it is handlebars, I can rotate the bars on the IQR where my wrists feel comfortable putting down pressure on them, I cannot on the Pro.
In a straight deep snow comparison, there is no way a wide race sled would be able to go places that a deep snow engineered Pro can go. Unless major major mods, aftermarket/RMK rear suspension, etc., in which case the IQR really isn't an IQR any more. Kinda the opposite of trying to turn a Pro into a snocross sled.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
I`ve blown up both.... I wouldnt waste my money.... buy a summit and spend your time riding instead of wrenching(polaris)....

Get back under your BRP bridge troll. All 20 of your posts are in the Polaris forum, time to crawl back into your hole.

Edit-I take the 20 post comment back, you have one post in the Ski-Doo forum asking about replacing a broken axel on your sled.

Last edited:
T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
I like the ergos and handling of my IQR better but I have narrow arms and rmk 155" skid. Does trench a bit but thinkging a drop and roll will fix that just fine:face-icon-small-con

H

hankohlson

Dec 2, 2007
HOOD RIVER OR
It's hard to compare apples to apples here. Almost every iqr is set up differently. Stock 121 iqr vs 155 pro isn't really the question. But more how a mountain converted iqr compares to a pro. Rear skid length and mounting location makes a huge difference. I ran the stock iqr skid with a ice age rails and a 144. That was a trenching pig in the deep. But spring snow it was great. Now running the pro skid and a 155 it's a completely different sled. It really depends how the iqr is set up to make any comparison. But the geometry from your feet to bars to skis I'd say is very similar.

manlye

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2009
I have the ez-ryde, you have to mount it looww and in the bottom hole, if not it feels like a 600lb gorilla is sitting on your handlebars.

H

hankohlson

Dec 2, 2007
HOOD RIVER OR
I had the stock race skid with ice age rails to a 144. The pro skid so far is night and day better. Bet thing I've done. I can tell when im beating down the trail the stock pro shocks are not as good as the racer skid but that's to be expected. I weighed the two skid and the pro 155 was 24.6lbs lighter than the racer skid. That's huge in my mind. I'm mounted in the stock iqr fta hole which isn't 100% correct. About 1/2 too far back and 3/4 low. Almost too close to drill another hole. Attack angle is way better.

Last edited:

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
I had the stock race skid with ice age rails to a 144. The pro skid so far is night and day better. Bet thing I've done. I can tell when im beating down the trail the stock pro shocks are not as good as the racer skid but that's to be expected. I weighed the two skid and the pro 155 was 24.6lbs lighter than the racer skid. That's huge in my mind. I'm mounted in the stock iqr fta hole which isn't 100% correct. About 1/2 too far back and 3/4 low. Almost too close to drill another hole. Attack angle is way better.

Is it possible to use a rivet hole?

T
Dec 1, 2007
Mt. Pleasant UT
I have a 06 iqr with the carls cycle 685 has an ez ride rear and holtz front end and holtz spindles. tons of light weighting. Has a 1 down 1 and 1/8 back, drop and roll. fox 0 pro shox and powder pro skis. It will roll right with the pros in the deep, juxt a little off in the power department if it had an 800 in it, it would take the pro.

E
Jan 29, 2008
iqr 800 ves, slp twins, slp head, reeds, porting. 153 attack twenty flipped backwards, with holz suspension all around.

the only Pro s that can touch me are turbos. the rest can hardly follow in my tracks. Pros are definitly easier in the trees. narrow front end helps. but id take the ride on my iqr over it. way more stable when your landing a jump or turning out down the hill with huge trenches.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
after getting some time on my pro and a little more time on my buddies IQR i dont see any comparison between the two in the powder. the pro can hold a side hill much better and with the sled more level. it stays on top of the snow much better as well. now in the spring when the snow is more set up i think an IQR would still be a blast time ride, but so far in the snow we've had this season the pro takes the cake. he bought a pro last week, his IQR will be listed in the for sale section shortly

ps - i'm on a 100% stock 600 pro and my buddies IQR is a 797 polaris race department motor (single piped now) with a 163" camo extreme.

A

Andreas83

Feb 20, 2008
Norway
I am really looking forward to find out the answer of this thread my self.
But I still have alot of stuff to get done...

1200WC buildt by indy dan
timersled front and rear suspension
Exit shocks
avid extended chaincase
3"pitch 8 tooth drivers
162" 2,5" CE track
and a lot of other stuff.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

J

jeepin270

Aug 27, 2009
Maine

Exit shocks
avid extended chaincase
3"pitch 8 tooth drivers
162" 2,5" CE track

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Do you plan on having a build thread? Please keep us posted.

FactoryAir1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007

Exit shocks
avid extended chaincase
3"pitch 8 tooth drivers
162" 2,5" CE track

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

You're going to love that extended chaincase.....the difference in the sleds ability to get up on plane is AMAZING :) Just a quick tip, its hard to tell by your pics so maybe you've already done it but make sure to cut enough out of the running board and foot braces on the chaincase side so that you can pull it clear of the driveshaft if need be w/o any hassle, makes track changes and bearing service MUCH easier. Great build, have fun :face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features