• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M1000 Garrett 3071 vs 3076

W
Sep 23, 2008
Morgan, Utah
pump gas

I built a m1000 3076 pump gas with an internally wastegated turbo. I got it down to just under 7 pounds but I had to port the crap out of the waste gate. and I had to have a custom fuel map. If I did it again I would use the external waste gate. I am sorry to disagree but I have run a bunch of pump gas m1000s and they haul the mail. you dont need race fuel. Just make sure your pump gas is good fuel (which is hard to tell in many places). They are like the 10-11 m-series HO M8 with a bunch more grunt. And they are way easier to tune than the race gas M1000s too. very clean and crisp. they don't have the burble of the race gas 1000s.

C

cadmo

Jan 25, 2009
Calgary, Alberta, canada
For those with either the 71 or 76 what is evey one running for a turbine housing size?

Just got a gt3071r used kit with a Tial housing thats .63 A/R, been told its too small, by some and ok by others.

Seen that on a Twisted kit its .86 but thats with an internal waste gate vs the Tial external. Is there much of a flow difference between internal vs external to warnt a smaller A/R?

what do most kits run and has anyone tried a 1.06ar

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
For those with either the 71 or 76 what is evey one running for a turbine housing size?

Just got a gt3071r used kit with a Tial housing thats .63 A/R, been told its too small, by some and ok by others.

Seen that on a Twisted kit its .86 but thats with an internal waste gate vs the Tial external. Is there much of a flow difference between internal vs external to warnt a smaller A/R?

what do most kits run and has anyone tried a 1.06ar

I'm worried about using a .63 on a 1000. I ran a .63 3071 on an 800 and my buddies ran the 1.06 on their 1200s.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
the internally gater 30 series have a MUCH smaller exhaust wheel, they arent a "true" 30 series exhaust side. I will try to explain this so it makes sense.

exhaust flow from least to greatest(from garretts website) WG- is the internally gated version

.63-WG3071- i run this on a 700 and have on an 800 as well
.86-WG3071 ~ .63 3071(they flow virtually identical exhaust side wise)- have run the .63-3071 on an 800 with a Tial.
.86- 3071
1.06- 3071

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/turbocharger

under each turbo you can check out the "performance map" tab and check out the turbine flow given a pressure ratio. they act a tiny bit different at lower pressures i just was comparing peaks.

For everyones knowledge.... an internally gated 3071 has a 56.5mm exhaust wheel, a true 3071(external only) is a 60mm wheel.

so something to note when talking about 30 series turbo's.... a 3071 with a .63 housing can be 2 different turbos depending on which style it is. and obviously the large of the two wheels will flow more even with the same A/R housing. took me a while to totally wrap my head around the naming and sizing differences, just trying to make sense of it for others.

Last edited:
C

cadmo

Jan 25, 2009
Calgary, Alberta, canada
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/turbocharger

under each turbo you can check out the "performance map" tab and check out the turbine flow given a pressure ratio. they act a tiny bit different at lower pressures i just was comparing peaks.

For everyones knowledge.... an internally gated 3071 has a 56.5mm exhaust wheel, a true 3071(external only) is a 60mm wheel.

so something to note when talking about 30 series turbo's.... a 3071 with a .63 housing can be 2 different turbos depending on which style it is. and obviously the large of the two wheels will flow more even with the same A/R housing. took me a while to totally wrap my head around the naming and sizing differences, just trying to make sense of it for others.

Thanks for the link and info

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I can find formulas to figure out airflow on 4 strokes, but does anyone have a formula for 2stroke airflow?

There is an old thread where all the big guys where saying stay with the .82-6 sieze on the 1000 if I remember right. If it where me I would call them and ask, even if you paid them to know, its worth it.

There are 4 very educated guys that commented, one didn't comment much.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
the .8X housing is the one you want on a full size 30 series for a 1000. the .6x housing is good for 800's and maintains good spool and low back pressure.

forgot what the thread was... wasnt titled relevantly so will be hard to find.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
You owe me, lol

Turbo threads

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271811

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273285

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272403

If you want turbo info, search the threads by the turbo builder, I went and search under Gus until I find the one I remembered.

the guys that know more than a lot of us. Although everyone has there own preference and usage of turbos
Gus
shain
witdamilkman
ski-doinit.

although shain doesn't let much out these days,

Last edited:
W
Sep 23, 2008
Morgan, Utah
Internally Wastegated Turbos I like:

.63 or .86 on the m7
.86 on the m8
.86 (ported) on the m1000

I know some like to squeeze the sleds down by using a smaller A/R. They spool awesome and pull great but remember they hold more heat (higher pipe pressure) and they shrink your tuning window. They squeak much easier and faster. I like to keep my tuning window broad and keep my heat down. This is why I leave them a little on the safe side. I tried the 1.06 on a m1000 and it was a dog..... Way too big... so I use the .86 and port it to loosen it up a bit....

Now externally Wastegated Turbos is where is gets fun and more complicated!!!!!!!! I have played with this on my m1200 turbo quite a bit. I think Pure Logic really likes this set up because it gives you tons of adjustability and tunability..... you are able to squeeze the sled down with a smaller A/R and get that snappiness on the bottom and with the external you keep your tuning window wide and your heat down on the top. But you have to have everything sized correctly and have the right springs... blah blah... you can pull your turbo out of its efficiency range pretty quick if your set up wrong... You have to know what your doing with these.... There are tons of different combinations, sizes, spring pressures, pipe pressures etc....you can mess with...

If you want it simple and easy use an internally wastegated turbo and spend your time on clutching to make the sled spool faster and pull harder...

Or buy an external from Pure Logic or someone that has them figured out and your clutching will be easier to figure out :)...

Or if you like to mess around like me.... Go for It!!!!

G
Apr 23, 2008
With the externally gated turbos on a 2 stroke, You can dump off the pipe centersection or tailcone and drop the heat from the return wave indepentdent of the total pipe/stinger pressure.
Though in real time it is only microseconds earlier than gating off the stinger, it does show a dramatic effect when played out over the minutes of wot running you guys do in the hills and chutes. For me it allows a .86 ar on the 1200cc cats and still have only 3-4 psi backpressure at 25 psi boost. Same setup with the gate on the stinger willl see 7-8 backpressure and that just is too much even for 4 seconds as it anneals the rings in just a few short exposures to that level of return wave heat.

using this method I always see lower pipe pressures for a given a/r and better looking pistons even at very high boost. FWIW, the gate size drops too, a 38mm gate is all I need even with the 4094 gtx to hold it down to 4 psi...If you ever have a turbo that will not allow lowering boost to 3 psi its the wrong turbo period.

ALL my first runs at dynotech are done at 4 psi, even DNE's quad with the 4202 gtx was done at 4 psi.. on that quad we ran 1 38 mm gate on each of the pipes. ( twin 800 xp cpi turbo pipes )

One of the areas on the cats I have to work on is the exhaust duct volume..it puts allot of uneeded heat back on the piston.
but thats another topic for another thread.

Gus

Premium Features