• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 600 classic edge sticky clutch

B
Aug 14, 2011
my clutch on my 06 classic is sticking in the ingaged position. I was told try cleaning it, but i cannot remove the internal nut holding the spider on.. is this a right or left handed nut? i also heard something about to tight bushings... anyone care to help?

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
It's a right hand thread. Polaris recommends torquing them to something like 250 lbs so it is on there tight. You will need proper tools to remove the lock nut and spider, base plate to hold the clutch, and a special "socket" for the jam nut and spider. Something else is going on I suspect other than the jam nut.

B
Aug 14, 2011
thanx, right hand nut. np... i realize the nut is not the problem. the cluch plate should move easy was the spring is off correct? i had to use a bar(gently) to pry the moveable cluch plate inwards... i have read somewheres about bushings being to tight.. ideas?

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Maybe if a bushing was torn up badly it would bind that bad, look at the buttons on your spider, are they sticking in the towers? Is the moveable sheave cocked at an angle? that might indicate a real bad bushing. Yes the moveable sheave should slide freely without the spring.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Check weight pin bushings and make sure they aren't worn and letting the weight torque over and hang up on the spider.

The fiber bushing in the moveable will come apart and cause it to bind, I've seen that.

If it was fresh rebuilt, then I might suspect the buttons being too tight, but it doesn't sound like its been rebuilt.

sled_guy

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
i would try cleaning the clutch with some gentle de-greaser, blow dry with air then use some dry graphite lube. If that doesn't work then my guess is this:

The fiber bushing in the moveable will come apart and cause it to bind, I've seen that.

If a rebuild is in order it will require a few specialized tools as others have mentioned. If you have the dealer rebuild your clutch 1 time that cost will almost cover the tools (ime). You may need to heat the spider nut to loosen the thread locking compound when breaking it loose. I'm sure there's a detailed thread on SW if you search.

Good luck!

Premium Features