• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thinking of an IQR project.. few questions..

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
Right now I am thinking of building an IQR mountain sled for next year.. Thats if I can come across a chassis at the right price.. I own 2 RMK 900's and will either have to sell them both whole or part them out in order to fund this project. I know that tunnel extensions and rear suspension and track will be needed for the IQR so some of my questions now are can the rear suspension from 1 of my 900's be used on the IQR? Is it a direct bolt up?? Can the rear section of tunnel from a 900 be used as a tunnel extension? Just trying to save a little bit and know what not to sell from a sled if I can use it.. Does anyone know on this??

J
Oct 12, 2002
Idaho, Meridian
Yes the rear susp can be used and the track, if its a 2.52 pitch than you can use the stock iqr drivers(so long as it has open windows). The rear tunnel ext will have to be made. You can also use your front susp and shocks. Although 05 spindle geometry wasn't all that great, might be worth it to buy holz spindle's. You will have to fab a rear susp mount and lower the front susp mount about 5/8 inch in the tunnel.

I used an edge skid in my IQR but had to narrow the top of the susp arms 1/2 inch to fit in the tunnel.

Last edited:

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Get a hold of MeatHooker for the boards and the tunnel extension. He's the man for that, right Jet?!

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
You will have to fab a rear susp mount and lower the front susp mount about 5/8 inch in the tunnel

I have the HRP spindles on mine so maybe I would keep the front end and rear end off of a sled and use them.. Will the IQR shock work with the RMK arms? Do the IQR's have anti ratchets and thats why all the windows need to be open?? Also why does the suspension need to be moved in the tunnel? Is it a requirement? Thanks for all the info

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
Called ya.. no answer..how cheap is cheap?? :face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:
J
Oct 12, 2002
Idaho, Meridian
I have the HRP spindles on mine so maybe I would keep the front end and rear end off of a sled and use them.. Will the IQR shocks work with the RMK arms? Do the IQR's have anti ratchets and thats why all the windows need to be open?? Also why does the suspension need to be moved in the tunnel? Is it a requirement? Thanks for all the info

The Iqr shocks will work but they are heavy(massive springs for snox) and valved stiff,They are also longer. I used mine until I bought zero-pros I would use your rmk shocks. Yes the IQR has anti-ratchet drivers you'll also have to trim your rails a bit also.

The rear suspension needs to be moved because if you were to use the stock front mount location you would have too much ski pressure,(the geometry is different between the two skids) and the stock IQR suspension bolts are also bigger than the rmk, so the bolt would flop around like a hotdog in a hallway in the tunnel. The rear mount needs to be fab'd up because the short track skid has a shorter center to center on the suspension arms than the rmk skid.

Get a hold of MeatHooker for the boards and the tunnel extension. He's the man for that, right Jet?!
Yes Meathooker can make you a tunnel ext and feethookers, they are badly needed on this sled, the running boards are the size of picnic tables and hold alot of snow.

Where in Idaho are you located?

Last edited:
Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
I am looking into buying an IQR now that has a 136 extension and a 144 track because the skid has been moved..It also has a tunnel extension also. Should I try and put the RMK 151 rails on the IQR skid or use the entire RMK skid? Also what are the benefits of running the RMK front end other than geometry?? Is thee RMK front end any wider?

I am from Pocatello, Idaho

Last edited:
J
Oct 12, 2002
Idaho, Meridian
Your approach angle is better with the rmk skid and its alot lighter. I would use the whole skid and front end since you have them.They tend to trench and wheelie with the stock IQR skid.
the rmk front end is narrower and lighter as well. The chassis is really what your after not the IQR suspension, The chassis is more ridged than the rmk and much more responsive to rider input.

Last edited:
Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
Your approach angle is better with the rmk skid and its alot lighter.
the rmk front end is narrower and lighter as well.

So the RMK stance is actually narrower in the front than the IQR, but should use the RMK front end since its a lighter and a better design? Just wanting to make sure I understand all of this.. I appreciate all of your help..

J
Oct 12, 2002
Idaho, Meridian
Yes, its narrower I'm not sure about better designed. The IQR front end is heavy and can take a beating far better than the rmk.(it is for snox after all) But I think the rmk is better on these sleds for boondocking and weight reduction.

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
Alright sounds good.. I will look into that... What about intakes?? The sled I am looking at does not have an airbox.. I have searched around and some people run the stock airbox and some people just run the filters.. Any thoughts on this?? is 1 better than the other or just a preference thing?

Also on the pipes for these.. If you have a set of twins made or anything like that, does it matter if they are used on a 6, 7 or 800 motor?? I know certain pipes are made for certain motors, but if they are custom made pipes anyway, is it kind of a 1 size fits all type thing??

J
Oct 12, 2002
Idaho, Meridian
I used the stock airbox and intake setup. I think its better because it pulls in fresh cold air. I cut and fit a slp pipe that was specific to my motor. The way I understand tuned pipes is that the expansion chambers and header length very for different engines and there applications. My 797 hade twin pipes from a big block 800 but slp removed some length in the header to match it to my motor. I have a single on it now.

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
Alright, that makes sense.. Sold the sled today so now this is really going to happen.. :) hope I am up for the challenge.. As far as the airbox goes, where is the best place to purchase one?? The sled I am buying does not have one and I cant seem to find many used parts for these sleds anywhere.. :face-icon-small-sho

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
have you checked the polaris race classifieds on hcs? they usually have a lot of parts on there that would be my first place to check

I checked there a little.. Need to pick up the sled before I go ordering parts though..:face-icon-small-hap Just noticed there is a lot less IQR parts available than other sleds..Not sure yet what all I will need..

J
Oct 12, 2002
Idaho, Meridian
Parts have kinda dried up a bit. The airbox will be a tough one to find used. I'm still looking for an airhorn and hoodhinge.

I'm in Idaho Falls alot, you should take me to the fun stuff over there and you can take mine for a rip.

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
Well if I hadnt just sold the ONLY sled I had that is ridable I would take you up on that offer for sure!! :)

If the airbox is going to be a pain to find used, how good are just the filters to use instead of the airbox.. I know it wont be as much cold air, but is it any good at all?

Pods work, but they suck. I have them right now, and if it is deep and I am climbing, they start sucking hot air big time, makes my sled run like poop. I have every vent cut and screen plus a huge clutch side vent. If its not deep or I am just flat and have some speed it seems to work great.

I am looking for some stock air box set ups. I tried to make one with plastic and it was a huge fail.

Premium Features