• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mpi stage one problems

M
Jan 23, 2010
i just installed a mpi stage one supercharger and i am having problems.....the sled will barely start and then i have to use the throttle to keep it running it will run for about 30 seconds and then die....anybody else had this problem?? Note set up fuel controller as per mpi's instructions

S
Nov 30, 2007
Meridian, Idaho
With a fresh install it could be a lot of things. It sounds fuel related. Did you do their fuel pump and regulator kit with it or do you still have your stock pump and regulator? Make sure your fuel delivery is correct, no kinks in fuel lines etc when you reinstalled tank.

What are the "green" and "red/blue" settings at on your gems? Both can have a big effect on idle especially red/blue.

M
Jan 23, 2010
still have the stock fuel pump and regulator they told me with a stage one i wouldn't need one....just checked all the fuel lines and no kinks....i originally set the green at .5 as instructed but richened it to 2.5 which helped a little bit but still didn't solve the problem....although i never really touched the red/blue i'll try that today

S
Jan 6, 2008
I have a similar problem. It is hard to start when warm. I have to give it 1/4 throttle or more to start. It idles at only 1200 rpm or so. My green setting was at 1 per Hartman set up. I lowered it to .5 and this help on hte hard starting but still idles a little low. I have the low boost 7 lb set up. I dont have an o2 gauge but think I will get one. It runs great and have not had any other issues with it though. Very Happy with quality and support from Tom Hartman!

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
If you did a head shim it could be the cam timing is out or also the throttle cable may be to tight. Also may be your tps readings could be bad.By now you may have fouled a plug if its running that rich,you may want to swap them out if all this is correct. As far as your box i believe you use a box similar to a pure logic? At idle in the shop disconnect the box and try running the sled just off the stock computer to eliminate that.. keep us updated.

Last edited:
M
Jan 23, 2010
after fooling around with it i got it to idle fine and took it for a ride but now i'll hit half throttle the sled will take off and then it will sputter and almost die....if i let it idle for a bit it will do the same thing....but i can cruise along at 1/4 throttle no problem.....

no head shim

M
Jan 23, 2010
losing hope on this kit...got it to idle fine but thats it i can't seem to figure out why its taking off at 1/2 throttle and then sputter...is it the gems controller?? im running 50/50 race fuel should i be running 100 race??...further help would be greatly appreciated

M
Jan 23, 2010
a.​
Mode 1: Green – Idle / Cruise Mixture Level – LEAVE THE SETTING AT 0.5 fast blink.
b.
Mode 2: Yellow – Needle Enrichment – Set at 5. Typically no adjustment is required.
c.
Mode 3: Red – Main Jet – Set at 7. Can be increased to 8 or dropped. BE CAREFUL, YOU
CAN ADJUST TOO LEAN!!!!
d.
Mode 4: Green/Blue – Boost Fuel adder. The setting adds addition fuel to the fuel already
being supplied in Mode 1,2 or 3.
Set at 5.5. This is a good adjustment to increase or decrease
as you go up and down in altitude. Try up and down in increments of 1 (4.5 or 6.5)
e.
Mode 5: Yellow/Blue – Accelerator Pump. Adjust to riding style. Set at 2.5. Very hard

acceleration. Set at 3 or 3.5. Softer touch on the throttle try 1.5 or 2

its on an apex....the settings above are what i have it set to...i do have an a/f guage but when its idling it won't read anything but when i start driving at 1/4 throttle it will read 10.5 - 11 and i can't go over a quarter throttle cause it will just take off even if i let off throttle

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
or...

My settings for 10k plus here in CO are.

1. Green-.5
2. Yellow-1.5
3. Red-3
4. Blue/Green-4.5
5. Yellow/Blue-1.5
6. Red/Blue-4.5

These probably won't work for you, but ya never know. We have a few SC's and our Gems are all set up different to work.

I still say Air Leak

B

bummerman

Nov 26, 2007
Check your throttle bodies at the engine if there off it'll take off on you and then die. It sounds like an air leak. Your 1/4 throttle readings are a little fat, but not bad.

WakeGD

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
Check your throttle bodies at the engine if there off it'll take off on you and then die. It sounds like an air leak. Your 1/4 throttle readings are a little fat, but not bad.

I agree that your throttle bodies have probably popped off the motor. This should be the first thing you check tomorrow.

What elevation are you at?

N
Dec 7, 2008
Armstrong B.C
call powderlites talk to dave they have the fix for blower kits youll be very happy with there work i tryed every thing on my nytro to make i run corect an gave up whent to see them an got it fixed an i have over a 1000k on an havnt touched it an the power diffrence was not even close to compareing

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
might need to adjust your CO's in the factory EFI.

throttle bodies could also be a likely candidate.

anyone have the instructions on how to adjust CO's?

Premium Features