• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Exhaust Heat Shield

W

Weatherbyman

Sep 28, 2009
Renton, WA
Do I need to keep the Exhaust Shield the wraps from the back and around the inside of the exhaust can? Wondering about the effect on the Starting Rope and the inside of the console getting too hot.

Seems like I could lose a couple of ounces by jettisoning it.

Thanks.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I think the #1 concern when ditching this shield is the chain-case cover. You can either completely cover it with alum reflective tape, or buy an aluminum cover from POLZINHUNTER http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175423

I have about 600 miles on my 9 this year with all the shielding on that side of the sled removed with no issues. I did plaster the chain-case cover, and the side panel with aluminum tape. If your looking to lose small bits of weight like this, I must ask if you have ditched all the foam inside your hood / pan?

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
If you take some time the heat shield on the panel once removed is perfect for filling in the useless boxes above the footwells. Lost it the first year and taped it with heat tape and all is good.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I kinda like them small compartments, plugs and tow rop in one and hat and "other" things in the other.:D

I'm sure these other things are approved in the Polaris owners manual:face-icon-small-con
Mine are now console vents, any extra bit of airflow I can get without hood mods! The extra aluminum pieces do come in handy if you like to fab little things.

R
Nov 20, 2009
I'm sure these other things are approved in the Polaris owners manual:face-icon-small-con
Mine are now console vents, any extra bit of airflow I can get without hood mods! The extra aluminum pieces do come in handy if you like to fab little things.
of course!

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
Its a mile away from everything ---

I am new to the 900, got 6 rides in and lovin it--

picture.php

I see no reason to have this Heat Sheild.
I spent some time Modifying it because it was cutting into my Pipe and the CPI stinger Now I guess I will cut in up and make gussets out of it for my Trailer BBQ.

Thanks for the tip.

Premium Features