• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker EBC

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
....The biggest advantage is the way the wastegate works. Instead of allowing boost to bleed off while the turbo spools up to where you have the wastegate set, the new pressure transducer remains closed while boost pressure build, then when the correct pressure is achieved it opens the wastegate completely, all at once......

That is what I thought it did, but I don't think that is entirely true........

The best I can get from the technical documents BD has published is that the EBC is a variable solenoid controller and that you set the % the solenoid is closed blocking boost signal to the wastegate and also how this number varies with altitude. No where does it talk about setting a target boost pressure or anything else that leads me to believe it adjusts wastegate actuation automatically based on PSI (like I was told it would do). The only thing it appears to do automatically is adjust solenoid duty cycle as altitude varies. I.E. just a fancy electronic dumb boost controller that requires you to figure out what duty cycle gets you what boost PSI by trial and error. Not exactly the advancement I was looking for.

So I guess what I am saying is you do not set the boost PSI on the EBC and then it adjusts the wastegate. Instead, you set the amount of air you want to bleed (in %). I fail to see how this would work any better than a manual boost controller in spoolup? Venting air X% of the time (in milliseconds) is not really different than venting X% of the air in PSI (manual) right?

Can anyone shed some light on how this thing actually works? BD? The instructions are poor, and there is nothing out there other than it "works better than a manual one". My question is HOW EXACTLY does it work? BD, please step in and explain how this works so people can be well informed. Thank you.

I will say that the thing looks pretty cool and all the wiring is very nice. The concept of pushing a button on the handlebar to adjust may appeal to some more than a bleeder screw. I hope I am wrong and it does actually adjust based on PSI automatically. So far its looking like good marketing for a far more complicated/fail prone way to do exactly the same thing as a manual one.

Last edited:
N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
What are you expecting it to do?

Set 8lbs on it and it automatically adjusts the wastegate to open at 8lbs..... This is how I thought it worked based on how it was marketed.

Sure the electronics are "neat", but I don't see how it works better than a manual air bleeder. I am not one to just install things on my sled because "they work great", I need to fully understand why and how it "works great".

Thanks in advance for educating me!

Last edited:
M

mod03rmk800

Nov 26, 2007
missoula
I wish they could have wrote in some more programing to convert the duty cycle numbers and use what the boost reading actually is to give the user an actual boost number for adjustments. 10% duty from what I understand represents roughly 1 pound of boost. Still figuring out mine, but I think I will like it better than lifting hood and twisting a knob while guessing how much that is adjusting the boost. Plus it also allows for the "auto" adjust while traveling through different elevations. I suppose with the differences in the different wastegate set ups they must find it easier to use the 'duty cycle' reference for boost adjustments?

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
I wish they could have wrote in some more programing to convert the duty cycle numbers and use what the boost reading actually is to give the user an actual boost number for adjustments......

That is what I had hoped they would have done. If you have to "set it manually", I would rather not introduce a potentially buggy unproven electrical product in my snowmobile. I figure the more things to break, the higher the chance you are getting a heli ride out. Altitude compensation is neat, but again, its trial and error and I don't really need it. I am going manual this year and we will see what the programming changes bring us.

I am not trying to drag BD through the mud here, I was just excited to get a gee qhiz fully automatic product and was delivered something else. It looks like a solid unit and I am sure will work fine after its tweaked, just hasen't earned a place onwmy sled.

EBC for sale...

Almost every Ebc I know of use duty cycle for setting your boost adjustments...
If you not need the altitude compensation, a AEM tru-boost could be a great EBC...

The AEM is pretty cool and how BD should have programmed thiers. Over the summer I thought about using it for the 09-10 season, unfortunately it is not waterproof.

Last edited:
S

SafetyBob

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 13, 2008
Idaho Falls, ID
I have to ask, Have you had your ebc on your sled... ever? Saying that you understand how it does and does not work when you have already admited to not understanding the operation and asking for a technical explaination, then selling it before you receive either seems a little premature to me. We are making a tech vid, complete with install , wiring and operation. Electrical systems are very difficult to explain in words, with out having the person in front of you to show, i will post a link when the vid is done. Thanks D

That is what I had hoped they would have done. If you have to "set it manually", I would rather not introduce a potentially buggy unproven electrical product in my snowmobile. I figure the more things to break, the higher the chance you are getting a heli ride out. Altitude compensation is neat, but again, its trial and error and I don't really need it. I am going manual this year and we will see what the programming changes bring us.

I am not trying to drag BD through the mud here, I was just excited to get a gee qhiz fully automatic product and was delivered something else. It looks like a solid unit and I am sure will work fine after its tweaked, just hasen't earned a place on my sled.

EBC for sale...

The AEM is pretty cool and how BD should have programmed thiers. Over the summer I thought about using it for the 09-10 season, unfortunately it is not waterproof.

M

mod03rmk800

Nov 26, 2007
missoula
Altitude compensation is neat, but again, its trial and error and I don't really need it.

Don't forget about the push to pass feature tied into this thing.
For a rider like myself that goes through @3000 ft in elevation changes throughout the day while riding, it is a good thing. I only have one ride under my
belt on this thing and I can say I understand it a whole lot more now. I wish I had my push to pass button as it is used to toggle numbers during set-up.

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
I have to ask, Have you had your ebc on your sled... ever? Saying that you understand how it does and does not work when you have already admited to not understanding the operation and asking for a technical explaination, then selling it before you receive either seems a little premature to me. We are making a tech vid, complete with install , wiring and operation. Electrical systems are very difficult to explain in words, with out having the person in front of you to show, i will post a link when the vid is done. Thanks D

Maybe...

I guess my questions were a bit of carrot dangling to get someone from BD to explain it to us in a public forum. I understand how it works just fine. I R SMART you know.... I don't doubt (and have already said so several times) that it will work as designed fine. The problem for me comes in when how it works is very much different than how it was marketed. And that is a bit irritating I guess.

I guess my primary question is does it adjust boost automatically based on the boost level (in PSI)? Its a simple question. If not, then I was misled and ultimately diaappointed. I bought an apple and was given a pear. Unfortunately I don't like pears.

Last edited:
M
Nov 26, 2007
Cranbrook B.C.
the ebc is pretty easy to use, the hard part is knowing what DC=boost psi. I have one question tho, I calibrated my ebc so the control box reads -0.7psi at idle, is that too low ? if I go up one number on my ebc the control box reads 0.0 up to +0.3 psi.

Last edited:
B
the ebc is pretty easy to use, the hard part is knowing what DC=boost psi. I have one question tho, I calibrated my ebc so the control box reads -0.7psi at idle, is that too low ? if I go up one number on my ebc the control box reads 0.0 up to +0.3 psi.

I guess I should have got you to pick my ebc up while you were down there....might get shipped this week!:rolleyes:

M
Nov 26, 2007
Cranbrook B.C.
Sorry i was just about to respond to your pm, -0.7 to +0.7 is okay on the ebc. Thx D

next question is, how much base DC = 1 psi boost, whats the ratio ?

with the ALT CMP if I'm going up 2000 feet which should make me loose about 1 psi boost how much would I want to add to my ALT CMP #'s to get back that 1 psi ?

not sure if there is an answer or if it's different for every person ?

J
Jan 9, 2009
North of Norway
That's the problem, the ratio will never be consistent due to variations in the turbos, wastegates and plumbing... It's a bit trial and error kinf of thing to get the settings right on EBC's

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
And that is the big reason I am not thrilled with this thing. Trial and error sort of defeats the purpose of the whiz band EBC in my opinion.

I decided to install it (just for you Diann :) ). Should be pulling the rope tommorrow.

Am I supposed to have a handlebar button? The instructions call for one to program and I did 't get one. What about the snowpro brackets?

Also, what are two 2 conductor plugs for? I have one coming from the EBC harness and one from the ADA harness that are both male. I assume 1 is for the handlebar button, but what is the other one for? Nothing in the comprehensive BD instructions about those, LOL.......

Last edited:
S

SafetyBob

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 13, 2008
Idaho Falls, ID
Nubbs, we tried to call you yesterday so Jared could give you the tech info you wanted, pm me a number so he can get a hold of you. Sean pm me your number as well, Jared was explaining the auto altitude feature yesterday but i am still learning, so i would prefer that he speak with you. By the ways Good Morning!!! Thanks Diann

M

mod03rmk800

Nov 26, 2007
missoula
The plug off the EBC is for the button(missing mine too), the other is an extra for later 'whiz-bang' additions. You are going to need a jumper wire to poke into the plug off the EBC to be able to toggle the numbers on some of the EBC settings. Pain in the *** I know. I personally am going to temporally hook an ATV horn button up for now.
Haven't played with much on mine myself as far as DC="X" pounds of boost but was told that 10 was close to 1 pound. Without adding any DC at all I am at 7.2 pounds at 5500ft. My rod may be a little tight but I am liking that level a lot.
As far as the ALT COMP goes, I am going to start with with 5 dc and as I go up in elevation see how my boost is raising. Once up high adjust things as needed, then theoretically should be all set.

Premium Features