• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clearwater National Forest - Travel Plan Comment Period Ends October 2nd

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
For those of you that don't know the Forest Circus had come out with another DEIS (Draft Environment Impact Statement) and they are pushing a new travel plan that would shut down a lot of public land to any motorized vehicles including snowmobiles. Right now they are excepting comments from the public on the proposed travel plan, the comment period ends on October 2, 2009. Please take a minute to write a short comment, you can email them to comments-northern-clearwater@fs.fed.us and you can access all of the information at http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/clearwater/P.../ClwTravel.htm .

I also wanted to inform everybody that there is a meeting this Wed (August 19th @ 6pm) in Orofino at the Pizza Factory between the Forest Circus and the Idaho State Snomobile Association. If you can make it I am sure they could use as much support as they can get. I am planning on attending and will be driving from Lewiston if anybody would like to ride up with me.

Gary Ausman

P.S. don't use the email link that they provide for you on the National Forest website it is incomplete and won't make it to them. When you send in a comment via email you will recieve an automated email confirming delivery.

T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
last nights meeting in orofino

Well I went to the meeting last night. 5 1\2 hours of driving for 2 1\2 hours of meeting. The forest service talked and explained the different alternatives.

The meeting was attended by the local chamber of commerce, local dealers, the Idaho dept of parks and lands, a representative of Senator Risch a large delegation of the Idaho state snowmobile association, local users and a saws representative. The groups where glad to see someone from saws at the meetings. Everyone there was in support of snowmobiling and the main talk of the meeting was on the great burn since there will be no closure of groomed trails in any of the viable alternative, which are b, c, and d.

Doug Goober the lead forest service worker on this deis did let us know that alt a cannot be selected. It is the base line to show what the real alternative change.

Sandra Mitchell reinforced to all of us present that alt a cannot be selected as an alternative. Doug also stated that alternative b does meet the legal needs of change and is a viable option. However he also reinforced that the forest service is not a democracy and if you right letters in support of a, you are wasting your time. Sandra and I also felt this way as so did everyone else in the room.

Please when you write letters to the forest service go with alt b. Alt a is a waste of everyone time and energy. The forest service is saying they wont even consider it. Lets be unitied for once since this is the alt that everyone at the meeting is going to push.

thanks
tim

Premium Features