• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

crank seal on RMK

L

locknload

Dec 5, 2007
I have a 03 700 RMK VE and the pto side crank seal has a film of oil on it, does not leak vacuum. Has anyone had any luck cutting down the outside lip of the seal to install it without splitting the case. Thanks in advance.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I don't think it will stay in if you cut it down to get it in there.

If it's just got a light film of oil on it I wouldn't worry about it. It's pretty normal for the PTO end to get oily and dirty. I've worked on a lot of Polaris big blocks over the past few years and never seen one with a bad PTO seal that wasn't caused by a blown belt. Just from running it they don't ever seem to wear out.

sled_guy

T
Nov 27, 2007
Keep an eye on it but don't lose any sleep. Those seals are pretty tough There is only one way to replace that seal correctly, split the case. Depending on your mileage, it might be time for new pistons etc. anyways. Thats a perfect time to do it. Anything else will leave you stranded.

D
Dec 11, 2007
Jackson, Wy
As long as it isn't leaking don't worry about it, they do get a little oil and then collect belt dust. Pull the clutch from time to time and clean it off. If you blow a belt make sure there is no chord wrapped up in the seal behind the clutch. There is no way to change it out without spliting the case halves. The "ring" around the outside sits into a groove inside the case, that is what holds it in place. If you cut it down you will be asking for more serious problems for sure.

Premium Features