• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris XLT Rebuild

A
Oct 22, 2018
Bought an XLT for $600 as an intro to snow machines. Grew up riding ATVs my whole life in AZ. Moved to AK a few years ago and missed riding something with a motor.

Came across a running XLT with 3K that needs a bit of love but I figure its a good way to get to know it before I trust it. The compression checks out at 120 in all 3 cylinders. I don't plan on rebuilding the motor but the exhaust seals have been shot for a while depositing slug in the bottom. I have heard about the crank failures with these (95 and 96) but am planning on easier flat trails for the most part, not mountain climbing for now.

One worry I have it that is leaking coolant from I assume the water pump but we'll see. So far I plan on:

-cleaning the fuel tank, new lines, rebuild pump, cleaning carbs, new needle/seat
-cleaning oil tank, new lines, checking oil pump
-Flushing the coolant system and possibly replacing water pump
-replacing chain oil.
-cleaning out air box
-might replace the steering tie rods
-greasing all the zerks
-order new wind shield
-Fortunately the track looks like its in good shape

My question for you all is what else do I need to do, look into, replace, clean, inspect, etc????

Looking forward to the resurrection!!

A
Oct 22, 2018
heres pics

Last edited:

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
Crank issues were on earlier models and with the addition of triple pipes. It created weird harmonics that took a toll on cranks. With that being a 95 or 96 with only 3000 miles I would just fix the leaks and run it. My only concern with it would be leaky crank seals causing a lean condition. Those were pretty bulletproof engines if left stock, I have seen several with over 10,000 miles and never been opened up. One of them had 18,000 miles before compression got low and needed rebuilding.

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
Be sure to check all bearings and don't forget the jackshaft and driver bearings. Other than that, go ride it.

Premium Features