• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mis-matched injectors to ECM issues?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Hey guys, posted this in the pro rmk forum as well. as the title says what may be the issues? So I've had this turbo sled and it's been a nightmare, throwing a Det code at random times and going into limp mode, It seems to be sometimes when stabbing it, other times im in the boost and I let off for a second and stab it, itll go DET, Other times it seems as im rev'd out then coasting down slower on the trail while still 7k rpm and roll into the throttle again or blip it, DET. Supposedly my tuning is great.....??? Never any issues when in on boost though....

I threw in a 3 degree timing retard key as I've been working along the issue. I run 50/50 av and 94 octane, This has been a issue plagueing me since I've bought it! It runs way lean down the trail as well, so much so I had the turbo kit tuning kick in earlier to try and keep my air fuel down lower, (abnormal outside of the usual tuning they recommend and makes a slower spool) and a New tps, used tps, swaps, re-adjustments over and over, just wasted time and no change. factory injectors aren't plugged or anything that I know of... idles great when the engines rebuilt but started to run on sort of 1 cylinder and a murmur now after a tough diagnosing winter, probably another top end is needed or reeds now.

looking back on previous pictures the sled has YELLOW tag on the wiring harness to the injectors.

So I got reading a bit and read about.... The ecm needs to be calibrated to the injectors otherwise issues arise.... , The sleds a ~2011 or 2012. the company I bought it from said they had thrown in a used engine into the chassis, the ecm read only ~600km at the purchase time, I would undoubtedly bet there could be a miss-match there.... Whether it'll create the issues I'm having. Above all else is just its throwing det,

Sleds got me so beat its not even funny anymore, I dread even looking at it. I've been up and down everything on it except... that.... What do you guys figure? Thanks!

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Have you ever tried straight Av?
I went as high as 75 av and 25% 94, It never made any difference, one guy around here runs 5-6# on 94 pump gas which is what i run for boost anyways, i should be well beyond over kill, Have kept boost low due to this issue.

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
Have you checked to see if your exhaust valves are working properly? Do the diaphrams have any holes or are there any restrictions in the exhaust valve pressure ports, also check to make sure the gasket was punched out big enough for the exhaust diaphram port?

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
What color injectors do you have and which ecu.

I suspect you have other issues, but let’s start there.

D
May 24, 2012
The injectors flow within 1 1/2% which is relatively close when compared to the larger differences that can found in fouled injectors from storage. Some injectors can show trouble at different rpm. It's a good reason to have them flow checked at a shop that sweeps the rpm range. When it's going lean, see if the egt is showing a large drop in one of the cylinders.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
I had a wire rub so I bought a new pair of injectors on my 2011 turbo. Turns out the new ones were a set of mis packaged injectors from the factory and had all the issues your having. Then got new ones in and the dealer accidentally flashed the sled to red instead of yellow, all the issues were still there. Finally gave up, pulled the turbo off to eliminate possibilities, still didn’t run right. Took it to another dealer and the found it pretty quickly. Reflash to match the injectors and it ran like a champ.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Have you checked to see if your exhaust valves are working properly? Do the diaphrams have any holes or are there any restrictions in the exhaust valve pressure ports, also check to make sure the gasket was punched out big enough for the exhaust diaphram port?
I have tested and inspected my exhaust diaphrams, they are good and not sticking, engine was overhauled, no thick oil causing them to not work and so on, and the hole in the gasket is of good, inspected hole through th r block and ran mechanics wire down it, no issues there as best I can tell or diaphragm tears/holes.

On my 16' axys the sticker on the ECU stated red injectors. Does your ECU have the original label/sticker on it?
I am unsure as I haven't pulled the sled out of storage yet, it's out of town, in a few weeks I should know.

What color injectors do you have and which ecu.

I suspect you have other issues, but let’s start there.
The wiring to the injectors has a yellow tag on them so I suspect they are yellow injectors, ECM wise I'm unsure as. Sleds in storage out of town right now. Just theorizing/getting more thoughts before I bring it home. I'm thinking to replace injectors regardless as you just. Never know. Hey.

The injectors flow within 1 1/2% which is relatively close when compared to the larger differences that can found in fouled injectors from storage. Some injectors can show trouble at different rpm. It's a good reason to have them flow checked at a shop that sweeps the rpm range. When it's going lean, see if the egt is showing a large drop in one of the cylinders.
thanks for the reply! I called Indy specialities and talked to them and they told me approx 40% of their bad injectors tested were the coils apparently, they found that at different rpms or as it's been running the coils change resistance and fail causing it to not run correct at certain rpm areas. So I'm suspecting them more so now. (literally the last thing I thought of and probably should of been the first place to look)

I had a wire rub so I bought a new pair of injectors on my 2011 turbo. Turns out the new ones were a set of mis packaged injectors from the factory and had all the issues your having. Then got new ones in and the dealer accidentally flashed the sled to red instead of yellow, all the issues were still there. Finally gave up, pulled the turbo off to eliminate possibilities, still didn’t run right. Took it to another dealer and the found it pretty quickly. Reflash to match the injectors and it ran like a champ.

Wow! Sorry to hear about your experience, it's sure frustrating, Atleast it got resolved! Thanks for the input! I've been thinking closely injectors for sure, thinking to buy a set regardless and have the ECM reflashed anyways.

Premium Features