• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

That time of year......trail signing

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Not sure how many other guys are members of their local club but its that time of year again for our club to start trail signing. Every fall we put up all our trail signs and start getting ready for the year. Our local club is the Rough Rider Snowmobile Association and has been in existence since 1968.

The trail system is only around 70 miles total, so its not to bad to maintain and keep up. We have trailer specifically for transporting trail signs and typically members assist with providing a variety of ATV's and manpower so it goes up quick.

We have a working relationship with Snowmobile ND and ND Parks and Rec, in which they provide the groomer and we provide an operator, the fuel and some maintenance. The relationship works great and in turn the community ends up with a trail system.

It was a little cold today but none the less, getting together and getting a bunch done was still fun and productive.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
8cf5f077928078802ba725a682d3cc51.jpg

917b0da7af8c5daaa575f703fa097706.jpg

86b20b8895f13235b65856ad100bd2be.jpg

ba4c4c28437d32abf19e428ee6dc8e4a.jpg

1724171a53bd0acc031b58e25a06d7e3.jpg

ee1d6e999ca16a64c43b6e921a6678f1.jpg

8c9257602b89434eed9ca3f3d89d4a37.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
that looks like the trail is along the interstate?

There is about 18 miles of trail that run along a four lane divided highway, much like the Interstate. Needless to say you can make pretty good time, if you want!! LOL

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Here in the SouthWEST the National Forest Service has a designated "motorized recreation officer" who maintains the trails in the Sequoia riding area.

I know part of Mammoth Lakes trails are managed by a private operator with own groomer and owns a sled rental.

Im surprised your markers are so low to the ground. Markers are usually 10 feet off the ground with trails over 7000 feet

Last edited:

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Riding in the midwest is so different, I remember those days! Riding along the roads, crossing roads and farm fields, riding frozen lakes. Going out and riding the ditches in 6 inches of snow like it was the best thing in the world, even if it was -10 or -20F outside.

Can't ride on the roads in CO, except I in a few select towns, no ditch riding. We have probably picked up almost 2 feet of snow in the high country over the last 10 days but we still need a LOT more. Might be able to go up and do a road ride next weekend but we usually wait until we have had 4-5 feet of snow, which would bury those Midwest markers...

Great to see people getting out enjoying the sport and supporting riding no matter where you are though!

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Here in the SouthWEST the National Forest Service has a designated "motorized recreation officer" who maintains the trails in the Sequoia riding area.

I know part of Mammoth Lakes trails are managed by a private operator with own groomer and owns a sled rental.

Im surprised your markers are so low to the ground. Markers are usually 10 feet off the ground with trails over 7000 feet

We're in the midwest with an elevation of around 1700 feet and the markers have to be removed in the spring.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Riding in the midwest is so different, I remember those days! Riding along the roads, crossing roads and farm fields, riding frozen lakes. Going out and riding the ditches in 6 inches of snow like it was the best thing in the world, even if it was -10 or -20F outside.

Can't ride on the roads in CO, except I in a few select towns, no ditch riding. We have probably picked up almost 2 feet of snow in the high country over the last 10 days but we still need a LOT more. Might be able to go up and do a road ride next weekend but we usually wait until we have had 4-5 feet of snow, which would bury those Midwest markers...

Great to see people getting out enjoying the sport and supporting riding no matter where you are though!

You are correct, it's completely different riding then backcountry riding. Our club averages around 60 members with about 20 to 25 that are pretty active. Out of the total members I would say just over 1/2 are pretty much "flatlanders" only. The remaining members, to include myself spend more time out west riding them back home. Its fun.....just a different kind of fun running the ditches and cross country at home. Two completely different sleds but again two different kinds of fun. For "home" riding the IQR comes out play!! LOL

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
[/B]

We're in the midwest with an elevation of around 1700 feet and the markers have to be removed in the spring.

Elevation matters … that is why I mentioned it.

Most markers are kept up here in the west. With all the lawsuits I wonder how much it would cost in litigation to place them back up if taken down for summer.

I find it interesting the winter markers and summer markers are different. Seems the winter markers are similar to those for the ski industry and summer for off road vehicle. Which is common to those who use it.

Our groomer comes from the political capital of Sacramento. Once here it is kept at the trail head. There is a large multi bldg. complex with helo pad in the middle of the riding area manned 24/.7 in the summer. Vacated in the winter and marked off limits. Would be a great facility for winter as a staging , Emergency evac and overnight faciilty with running water , and large generators. Least they leave the bathrooms open !

Last edited:
Premium Features