• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HOW WOULD YOU BULLET PROOF AXYS ENGINE?

Texasron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Dallas, Tx
Change rod length? Ring gap? Number of rings? Balance piston /engine/clutch/ ? Oil settings? Somebody knows!

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Pretty simple. I call Indy Specialties. Throw the motor in a tote and ship
It to Minnesota. IMO the Indy Specialties TM3 motor is the most bomb proof motor out there.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
They are pretty bullet proof already, The failures I have seen are mostly from ingesting reeds and that is because they have been revving too high. If you run stock RPM they seem pretty solid. They do however start to lose some compression as they get a lot of hours on them. BUT if mine is an average example after 4000 kms, the pistons and cylinders still look like new.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
wow 4! Tony dang that sucks are seen those kind of failures
a lot in you group ?

how are stock motors holding up ?

thanks

One in our group had same issue, once.
These are all stock engines.
The pin has been migrating in and letting the ring spin catching the ex. port.
During tear down the other piston has been close to failure also.

snoballssnoglory

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
They are pretty bullet proof already, The failures I have seen are mostly from ingesting reeds and that is because they have been revving too high. If you run stock RPM they seem pretty solid. They do however start to lose some compression as they get a lot of hours on them. BUT if mine is an average example after 4000 kms, the pistons and cylinders still look like new.

Had a Reed break off in the first 5 miles of the sleds life. They replaced the reed and I rode it for 1500 miles. Then found a nice score on the cylinder wall during a routine top end replacement.
They said it was due to the reed and replaced cylinder under warranty.
Hadn’t heard of others having this issue so I thought I’d chime in.
Guess having carbon fiber reeds is a pro con type thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
One the guys I ride with has a '17 800 Pro-RMK and had a ring catch a port, Polaris gave him new "service" engine to replace the damaged one.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Pretty simple. I call Indy Specialties. Throw the motor in a tote and ship
It to Minnesota. IMO the Indy Specialties TM3 motor is the most bomb proof motor out there.

I agree with this.

There is also a less expensive alternative: have Indy Specialties put their HG7 finish on your cylinder walls and install O.E. Polaris 2015 Pro style pistons. I've got three Axys motors with this setup. Ring life has increased dramatically and I haven't seen the locating pin migration prolems that have been demonstrated by Axys pistons.

For Tahoe/ Truckee locals, I'm an Indy Specialties dealer.

Texasron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Dallas, Tx
What is a "Service" engine? Exactly. Thanks ahead.

One the guys I ride with has a '17 800 Pro-RMK and had a ring catch a port, Polaris gave him new "service" engine to replace the damaged one.
What is a "service" engine. All brand new or ????

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Yes sir, it’s a short block but they call it a long block.
Years ago a long block was a complete engine. Ignition, carbs, y pipe etc.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
A problem created on the internet. Ha.

Having seen the warranty numbers first hand, just ride the dang thing, especially if you have warranty.

Clutch it right, run good oil, watch temps, warm it up properly, do top ends at the right intervals, don't over-rev and have fun.

ID clearly has a good reputation, but this isn't 2008. The actual number of failures on stock sleds that are maintained properly are incredibly low. Play the odds.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
One in our group had same issue, once.
These are all stock engines.
The pin has been migrating in and letting the ring spin catching the ex. port.
During tear down the other piston has been close to failure also.

That seems excessive, although if anyone was going to find the weak spot, it'd be you. :face-icon-small-ton Anyway, is the piston pin migration something that only comes up in hard riding? In other words, do you think it takes a lot of WOT to trigger it, or is it something most riders will encounter with enough miles? The sense I'm getting is that things have gotten a lot better, but that the 800 still benefits from some bulletproofing.

Anyway, seems best to just run it stock as long as it's under warranty; being meticulous with running good gas/oil, belt and clutches and such (as mentioned). If it lasts past warranty, then keep going. If you blow it up under warranty, or run into issues down the road, then go with the bulletproofing. Like JJ said, just play the odds, at least for now.

Premium Features