• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

sinister x5

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I went riding this weekend. There was 6 of us. 2 of us had the new sinister x5s and we were the first ones to fog and The only 2 that needed to change out googles. There were klim, dragon, and $19 bolle from costco and the new x5s were the only fogging googles. Whats the problem?

Has anyone else had problems with their x5s?

C

CatmanD

Jan 2, 2012
Also NOT impressed with X5s

I bought the new x5 sinisters along with a 509 fog eliminator fan. The fan does NOT fit well like it does in the older sinisters. If you try to force the fan in the back edge pushes back toward your forehead causing severe discomfort. I am currently battling with 509 who doesnt believe there is a problem.

03rmking

Premium Member
Mar 4, 2004
Spokane, WA
www.509films.com
I went riding this weekend. There was 6 of us. 2 of us had the new sinister x5s and we were the first ones to fog and The only 2 that needed to change out googles. There were klim, dragon, and $19 bolle from costco and the new x5s were the only fogging googles. Whats the problem?

Has anyone else had problems with their x5s?

Hi Summ8rmk, sounds like you are having a fitment issue of some sort. Give us a call at 877-743-3509 and we'll have one of our experienced tech's go over a few tips for you and that'll get you fog free in no time.

I bought the new x5 sinisters along with a 509 fog eliminator fan. The fan does NOT fit well like it does in the older sinisters. If you try to force the fan in the back edge pushes back toward your forehead causing severe discomfort. I am currently battling with 509 who doesnt believe there is a problem.

Catman, the X5's have an upward sloping frame. This aids in improved vision from the goggle, as the frame disappears from your field of view. It does change the angle of the fan a bit as you mentioned, however it should not be causing severe discomfort. Padding in the forehead area of the goggle comes from both the foam and also the natural give and flex of the frame venting structure that connects the inner & outer frame. When you install a fan this adds a bit of rigidity to the goggle, which leaves solely the foam for your padding and comfort. When installing the fan, be sure to not over tighten the mount plate. This will increase the severity of the angle unnecessarily. Instead its better to tighten the mount plate in moderation, perhaps less so than you may be accustomed to on previous 509 goggle models.

Another important tip is when you put the goggles over your helmet and on, pull the goggles off your face an inch or so and let the foam set in its natural position. It's common for the foam to get pressed upward and off center of the frame. A quick reset, will allow the foam to return to its natural position and do its job fully.

I understand you have an existing support ticket with us. If you want, please PM me your ticket number and name and I'll look into the status and follow up with any further inquiries you have.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
After talking with 509 about my fogging issues i could not find a solution so I gave the goggles away $$$. Since then i have purchased 2 more goggles from other manufacturers and no problems with them fogging.

Premium Features