• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gor-Tex vs. eVent vs. ACMT™ HydrX Pro???

P

PowderGirl

Nov 26, 2007
McCall, Idaho
www.facebook.com
Gor-Tex vs. eVent vs. ACMT™ HydrX Pro???

So, I've been shopping jackets lately and having a really hard time deciding what I want! I know I want a non-insulated technical shell but I'm not sure if I should go with Gor-tex or eVent which are the most waterproof and breathable technical fabrics out there or if I should go with something not as waterproof and breathable (and save a little cash and get the more fun colors!)...

I am currently riding in a snowboard jacket that is 15,000 mm (waterproofness) and 10,000 g/m2 (breathability). Now Klim will not give you a rating on their Gor-Tex fabric but I've seen Gor-tex on ski & snowboard sites that rate Gor-Tex as anywhere from 28,000 to 40,000 mm on the waterproof scale and 20,000 to 28,000 g/m2 on the breathability scale. There are no truly standardized tests out there from what I understand so it may be hard to compare apples to apples here when it comes to waterproofness and breathability.

Do any of you have experience riding in Gor-tex or eVent and also something in the something with waterproof and breathability range I mentioned I'm in above?

I see FXR's Vertical Pro Light jacket is rated 20,000 waterproofness / 8,000 breathability and then Klim's Apline Jacket is Gor-Tex and Motorfist's Contessa jacket is eVent so we know their ratings are much higher.

One thing I noticed last season in my 2014 Klim Apline Gor-tex bibs is that I stayed a pretty moderate temperature in them throughout the season in variable conditions - never got cold and never got hot where as I got hot and cold in my snowboard pants which are ratings of 15,000 waterproofness & 10,000 breathability.

So I'm thinking I want to go with Klim (Gor-Tex) or Motorfist (eVent) in my next jacket but I really like FXR's Vertical Pro Light in pink the best however, it is even less breathable than what I'm now. It's my upper body that really experiences getting hot the most. I did see a snowboard jacket I really like that has 20,000 / 20,000 - so its breathability is close or right there with Gor-Tex and eVent. Waterproofness is not as big a deal as i've found that 15,000 mm works pretty well for me - maybe because we ride in a lot of dry and cold conditions - I only noticed a little dampness in really wet conditions but after waterproofing with some good stuff, I don't notice that anymore and my jacket is 4 years old now. Gor-Tex is nice in that you just don't have to worry about getting damp even in wet conditions.

Last edited:
Premium Features