• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Push Turbo/Vipec install

akMcat

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
What you consider "working good last year" is totaly different then what we consider working good. Since we are now involved in Push kit re-design/tuning (with the manufacturer, not retail), we will not send out mapping until we are 100% satisfied with it, same here with pinout infos or anything related on our side because we are not satisfied up againts our standards.

It seems to me that you could release a map that would get people going, maybe not a perfect tune but safe and rideable. A little burble here and there, and then continue to perfect it, get a little more power here and there, and then release an update. I would think most customers would be happier that way. Also I totally understand that Precision EFI sells ecu's and not turbo kits and I have no doubt that there is nothing wrong with the VIPEC and that it will perform as advertised in the hands of the right people.

Last edited:

akMcat

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
Made the first few runs across the lake today to see how everything is going to work. I had race fuel in the tank instead of just 91 and after the fact I think was causing it to load up at the 4-6500 rpm range, but once it clears up holy cow does this thing scream. If you read Push Turbo's write up about the TBBT throttle response and on off throttle, so far the theory seems to be correct. Instantaneous throttle response when on, off, and then back on the throttle. I don't know how much boost I was running since I didn't hook a boost gauge or datalog yet, but seat of the pants it pulls way harder than my riding buddies Boondocker 2860 @12 psi. Pleasantly surprised so far.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Pulls hard doesn't it.:face-icon-small-ton. Heading out this weekend to try a few different things. Have a different map and head and a couple other tricks. Anyone who says that a big bore will keep up to a turbo are fooling themselves. Plus the drivability with the TBBT is just awesome. On and off the throttle is flawless.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Runs real nice. Like riding a stocker with POWER. Jeff has many hours into this setup to make it run as good as it does. I have ridden other turbos over the years and most if not all have had little quirks that reminded you your riding a turbo. The only time you know your riding a turbo with this setup is when you go to full throttle and need the power.

akMcat

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
Finally got my sled running, thanks to Jeff at Dakota Performance. I am totally amazed the way the power delivery feels. Super smooth and linear like a stock sled, just with a lot more power. Here's a short video of me riding yesterday running 6.5 psi http://youtu.be/mdaWsuvbSVI

Last edited:
B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Pretty sweet isn't it? :face-icon-small-hap. Gonna try some different clutching on the next trip. Try some lighter weight, spring combo. Glad you have it working good.

akMcat

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
Yeah it runs pretty good, I need to get my engagement up a little or change the map some to clean up the idle to 4000rpm range. I am still having some problems getting my O2 sensor to read right. All in all I am pretty happy with it, just want to crank up the boost now, I think I'll be totally satisfied with the other spring in the wastegate running about 9psi. I was getting about 55-57mph track speed, pulling 7800-7900rpm. And another video http://youtu.be/VF256NoWBS4

Last edited:
N
Sep 3, 2009
don't waste your money on a push turbo

my dealings with ken hunter owner of push turbo, were one big headache. he doesn't stand behind his product correspond to phone calls. buy from someone who will support their product. I paid him cash in full 4 months ago and still have not received all the parts to my kit. also the mapping he gave me is wrong. the motor will not rev over 4200 rpm with the map, and computer setup he gave me. he probably won't be in business much longer with such poor customer service. I should have known when I arrived at push turbo and it was his garage.

Premium Features