• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2006 Rev 800 Won't start when warm

P
Dec 20, 2012
Jackson Hole
2006 Ski Doo Rev 800ho. 1200 miles on it. Just bought it off a women that used it for trail riding. Not a scratch on it. Runs like a champ. Starts third or fourth pull when completely cold and choked. Carb heaters are off. Compression is at 130 in both cylinders. Just had it preseasoned and the guys at the shop said it was perfect, not too rich or too lean. Problem is that when you shut it down warm it won't start til it has sat for a few minutes and even then it takes 4-6 hard pulls. Plugs look fine, idles great and runs awesome. Any ideas? Please help me out.

Last edited:

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
2006 Ski Doo Rev 800ho. 1200 miles on it. Just bought it off a women that used it for trail riding. Not a scratch on it. Runs like a champ. Starts third or fourth pull when completely cold and choked. Carb heaters are off. Compression is at 130 in both cylinders. Just had it preseasoned and the guys at the shop said it was perfect, not too rich or too lean. Problem is that when you shut it down warm it won't start til it has sat for a few minutes and even then it takes 4-6 hard pulls. Plugs look fine, idles great and runs awesome. Any ideas? Please help me out.

next time you stop crack the fuel cap, pressure can push fuel past the carb floats and flood,, the pressure relief can be too stiff, this wss a common problem in 05/06

P
Dec 20, 2012
Jackson Hole
Doesn't like to start with any gas when warm. Have tried it wide open and slightly cracked. Still no luck in fact it definitely floods with gas. I can smell it coming out the exhaust. Idles around 1300-1400.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
Check for spark when this happens, to see if it is getting too much fuel or is loosing spark. I have seen some electrical issues when warm.

T
Oct 17, 2010
Vancouver, WA
I've owned 2 REVs and they both had the same problem. To get around it you need to hold the throttle in about 1/4 of the way when you pull the cord. Always starts on the first pull that way.

B

BackCountryBob

Aug 7, 2001
Arvada, Colorado
Have you tried it with the choke ON? I've seen this happen when we flipped a sled(s) over and they needed to be choked.
Sounds like a lean condition. Most of the REVs I know-including mine--are slow to come down to an idle

BCB

D
Dec 11, 2008
Livingston MT
i could be wrong but that idle speed sounds low. i think mine idles atlike 1800 or 1900? and i doubt its lack of fuel. my sled has a horrible hanging idle because i have such a bad air leak and it still starts first pull when hot.

P
Dec 20, 2012
Jackson Hole
So I normally ride the sled around 7-9000 ft. Had it at the house(6000 ft.) and ran it around tried to get it hot and get it to act like it has been in the mountains but no luck. Starts right up. Elevation issue?

Last edited:

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Starting

At high elevation the air flow at the idle circuit is so low you sometimes need to increase the pilot jet a size or 2. That may make the differnce you need to get fuel flow in the pilot circuit. This would be applicable to 10 K and over.

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
when you pull it over does you headlight light up, if not could be the reley up under on the right side near the tank ,some times you can tap on them and it will start

P
Dec 20, 2012
Jackson Hole
Got the sled in the garage and melted it out. Then today started opening the gas tank right when I stop and then cracking the throttle when pulling and it has been starting first pull. Hopefully this continues. Thanks for all your suggestions!

Premium Features