• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking to buy a GPS for back country use..

ZMH118

Lifetime Membership
Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen SD
Looking to buy a GPS for back country use. What have you guys found for a gps that has good detail and user friendly? My use for it is to set way points to find our way back easier and never get lost!

Thanks in advance
Zach

H
Aug 31, 2012
BL WA
I have a Garmin Montana 650T. Been very very happy with it. It is a bit on the pricy side but I use it a fair amount. I use it for driving directions alsong with the mount, Geocaching, wheelin, hunting, hiking, etc and now will use it for snowmobiling. I have also down loaded the 24K maps for the westcaost. Has alot of trails and FS roads. Not all right on the money accurate but dang close.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Got a Rino650, and loved it when i hunted out west!! Cant wait to use it sledding. I loaded 24k maps, as well as the birdseye software. Birdseye is like havin google earth on hand with you. Shows meadows and all. Really happy with it so far

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Anyone use one of these for mounting their GPS?

RAM Light Rail mounting system

s7_021731_020_01

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I don't think you can go wrong with any Garmin. I have been using a 60CSX for a few years and it has good battery life, easy to use and best of all it has a good antenna so does not lose satellite tracking. I believe it is manufacture discontinued now but I would imagine the newer units work just as well.

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
I have a couple of the garmin hcx530 they work great have good battery life, and do everything you need . you can buy rebuilt ones for around 250.00-280

D

Dirty10

Nov 26, 2007
LaGrande, OR
I have the 655T and it is amazing the touch screen works good and its very handy being able to attach a picture to your way points.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
I have the Garmin Oregon 450T. Touchscreen, easy to use BUT the screen is almost impossible to see in the outdoors and impossible on a sun shine day.

I do like Garmin and and plan on selling the Oregon and get a Montana or Rhino. I wish the screen on the Rhino was bigger. The Oregon is the minimum size in my opinion.

C
Apr 12, 2009
Liberty Lake, WA
I had the Garmin Rino 530HCX and it worked great. I now have the Rino 120 and the Garmin Montana. This combination gives me the walkie-talkie feature and the friend locator of the Rino, as well as the large screen on the Montana for the navigation.

Bare minimum, I would have a Rino, as should everybody you ride with. It is a huge time saver when somebody gets stuck or lost!

L

LuckydawgAK

Feb 13, 2011
Aurora, CO
I lost my Rhino 655t one dark snowy night. A few miles away when I realized it was not in my pocket, we used my buddies Rhino to locate the lost unit. We navigated to within 30 ft, shut off all the machines while my buddy lit it up by pressing the talk button under a 1/2 inch of fresh snow.

Especially if you right with a group, I highly recommend the Rhino series. Talk, locate and navigate.

Premium Features