• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

IQR 44/700 wont start and sled trip is SUNDAY!!! Please help.

T
Dec 12, 2007
I swapped wire harness from the 700 to the 440 harness so could add lights and gauges and all. Wiring is done and sled won't start. Not sure what is wrong or what would keep sled from running. The blade gauge is straight forward. Had power, ground and purple for low oil feed and yellow with red stripe for hi beam indicator so all should be simple??? Not the case and I have my first sled trip sun morn! So sad now!!! Not sure where to begin now??? I hope I have some advice by tonight on what to try to see if I can fix it but not real sure where to start to look or what to try first? Such a nervous ****ty feeling being I am supposed to leave for trip sun morn and work till 7pm tonight and tomorrow till 4pm so time is way limited before trip so way way concerned and wish was something simple. I wish I knew someone local that had some free time and know more than me. I may even try to take tomorrow off to work on sled or maybe part of today if it works out. So upset. I havent taken a sled trip in like 10 years also so really depressed now. ANY IDEAS ON WHERE TO START?

T
Dec 12, 2007
???

Well are u getting Fuel?

Are u getting Spark?

What is compression?

Does it fire at all?

Did you forget to hook up the ground wire?

By the time I was done last night/ this morn was 2am and had to work this morn. So I had no choice but to quit before I could trouble shoot at all. So will look into all tonight and go from there and see what I come up with and let you know tomorrow. The thing does not caugh or even sputter. I am not sure if headlight even flickers being I was working on it by myself so hard to test. I have a friend willing to help me tonight and a service tech who will help me tomorrow eve if I cant get it in hopes to make trip sun morn etc. God this sucks. Thanks

T
Dec 12, 2007
K well i be on here tomo..

Hope for the best...

So late.... Did u have fuel in the tank!!!???

Yup had fuel in tank and was so tired at that point and once I tried pulling it and found this out I felt defeated real quick! So I gave up for the eve and figured was better to stand back and think on it a little with a clear head and different frame of mind to readjust my focus. So hoping tonight will be a better situation based on all that. Thanks for you input!

T
Dec 12, 2007
Just pulled plugs and rolled clutch and no spark so now gonna try and track down problem area where ever it may be? Will just try simple things first like tether and key or kill switch wires etc. Any thoughts on what I may have done or what may be different between the 2 harness? Not real sure where to go now???

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Did you completely swap the harness or did you patch the two together. If it was a complete swap, I would think it has to be something simple. Ground, or a switch. Unless there is a wire cut somewhere.

B

brent9k

Dec 17, 2007
BOZEMAN, MT
www.attackmotorsports.com
black wire

So you have a 700 bb engine in a iqr chassis with 700 flywheel/stator and harness????? right?

(I know a 2007 and i think 06 stators will only work with the 440 cdi)

If so make sure you pluged your coil in to the black and white wires and yoru temp in to the black and brown wire. ( I heck this part up 2 out of 3 times cuz im in a hurry.)

AlsO disconect all the wires coming from your stator to your CDI, BUT KEEP THE TWO BLACK 3 WIRE CONECTORS PLUGED IN. You should have 6 wires going from your CDI to you Stator and the rest are umpluged.

It is hard to see spark when you roll your clutch over by hand. Use the pull rope!

Last edited:
T
Dec 12, 2007
Well I was a little off when I commented about no spark was 3am and was way tired. I looked closer next day and had spark and no fuel. Wasn't sure if it was fuel lines or pick up. Replaced all fuel lines and clamps. Still starved for gas. Took big tank off again and this time fuel wouldn't come out nipple if tank. Drained gas and pulled pickup out and cleaned and inspected and all looked well. Put back in and same thing. Gas locked in tank. Pulled vent cap and pressuseized tank with mouth and blew in it and nothing came out just built pressure. Then I remember I had race tank and checked for a fuel pickup and swapped then and got it to run now being I always had spark and only needed fuel. Then I went to hit kill switch and wounldnt work and not sure why? Then tried key and tether also and none worked. Real weird all were color coded and was pretty much plug and play with tether and kill switch. Key I spliced into kill switch wires cuz pretty sure last sled was like that?

I have 06 440 with 700 in it. Worked fine without gauges or lights for last 1000 miles with 700 harness. Then was told to swap to 440 harness for lights and all. So that is what I did. I have a avenger 3 gauge and a tach from a blade sled. Blade tach has hi beam indicator and oil indicator. So I took purple from oil senso to purple from blade tach to sensor and yellow to power. Also did same with hi beam wires which is yellow with a red stripe. The avenger I took red and yellow and put them together to power and grounded other to chassis with seperate ground. Avenger doesn't come on but blade tach works but no tether or key or kill switch and didn't check headlight or tail light yet? Any ideas??? Sorry I wrote a book but better details equals better advice and input I am sure?

T
Dec 12, 2007
I just swapped the complete harness and all was well other than I could not use kill switch or tether and not sure where I went bad with the ground and cant figure that out. I was on vacation on the beach to get this stuff out my head for a bit. Now back in action and want to wrap this up. Does the brown on the kill switch need a outside ground? I will also look for chaffed wires next. Where does stator ground actually ground to? Motor or chassis and where would I look to see if I have that?

I have a 06 700 non ves motor with a iqr 440 harness that I bought used. All was plug and play until I chose to try some different outside grounds on tether. I tried grounding the black wire from kill switch and didnt work and was 2 wondering if I need to ground the brown instead or am I way off? Any tips???

T
Dec 12, 2007
Also sled ran fine with the 98 700 harness and 98 440 cdi off red rocket but couldnt get headlights tied in very easy so went with IQR harness. Sled ran and worked great before just no lights or gauges. Now I just swapped 700 harness for 440 harness and all was plug and play for most part but I am using custom gauges. I have a Avenger 3 and also a blade gauge but they should be simple enough. That was only splicing I did was for gauges and ground for kill switch. Gauges and lights work but no kill switch or tether. Some people say to ground the stator maybe? How and why wouldnt it be? Maybe new harness doesnt have chassis or engine ground and I need to make my own? SUCKS!!!

S
Nov 27, 2007
Kaslo,BC
Stator needs to be engine grounded (brown)
Voltage reg needs to be chassis grounded (brown)

I ran a extra ground from my chaincase to the chassis.

Key has a blk/white wire to kill switch when the circuit is closed it is grounded (brown)

All these wire colors are from a 700.

You said the 700 motor runs off a 440 cdi?

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
I know this is kind of old, but im going to reply anyway.

Can I ask you why you running a 98 440 cdi on a 98 700 engine?

This is completely wrong, weather it kind of works or not I know its not working correctly. The stroke and timing on the 440 is way different that what the 700 is. Your getting spark at the wrong time in the timing cycle. Plus the 98 440 is a small block VES engine. the 98 700 is a big block non-VES engine. These two CDI's do not interchange.

The 98 700 ran a ducati ignition system. The CDI and coil pack are all 1 piece with this system... This is what you NEED to run for this to work the way that it should. Are you using the stock 98 Stator and flywheel?

There is no reason why you cant run lights or gauges with the 98 harness. id swap that 440 harness back out and go with the 98 harness again.

I ran a 98 700 in a 02 Pro X 440 chassis and had no problems running the 98 harness with all of the correct parts. Lights, gauges and all. everything worked.

Premium Features