• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Extending!

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
Has anyone done a 144 using the ice age rails? Looking to get pics and some tips on suspension setup. I ride in wisconsin and the U.P. Also bought the tunnel extension from Tracks USA and im not real impressed. It looks like they just want you to rivet it to the outside of the tunnel. Kind of cheesy if you ask me. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Jason

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
I actually sent back the Tracks USA extension. Im looking to order a different one. I looked at Van Amburg and that extension looks pretty decent. Anyone have any experience with this tunnel extension or have any other opinions on other extensions i could go with?

Thanks
Jason

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
The tracksusa extension will work but it's nothing pretty or sturdy. Use the vanamburg extension, and make sure to get the tubular bumper with the DEEP TUNNEL SUPPORTS. Stress this to mike or liz when you are ordering, your bumper bar will extend into your tunnel above your rear suspension braces and will amplify the strength of the extension, then feel free to taper to your liking. I'll post pics if needed, but that is how I did my personal sled, I am also using the ice age 144" rails with 8" wheel offset built in. I am also building a cfi IQR with a 150" CE and this same setup, it turns out very clean and sturdy.

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
Yeah if u guys could post some pics of these extensions on ur sleds that would be great! I appreciate all the help!:face-icon-small-hap

rydningen

Premium Member
May 9, 2009
Northern Norway
I went with a Van Amburg tunnel extension on my 155" IQR mountain project and I am VERY satisfied with it. These guys know what they are doing!

Attaching a couple of photos to:)

IMG_5782.jpg IMG_5915.jpg

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
Thanks for the pics! Thats exactly what i was looking for! Ur sled looks great by the way! I will probly order one today or tomorrow!

M

MNIQR

Feb 28, 2006
Im making my own using 3/16" thick 6061 for the sides, they will also be my rear suspension mount (the area under the running board). Its gonna be a 159".
Gonna have a buddy make me a lid for it out of .060 thick aluminum sheet.
The plywood you see in the pic is for the dual pass U cooler im making for it. Ive got the pieces screwed to the board so i can weld them in position.

Last edited:
M

MNIQR

Feb 28, 2006
Cooler will be dual pass, so both sides will turn and run back to about where the board stop in the front and connect there. I hope she stays cool enough...lol

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
M

MNIQR

Feb 28, 2006
I went with a Van Amburg tunnel extension on my 155" IQR mountain project and I am VERY satisfied with it. These guys know what they are doing!

Attaching a couple of photos to:)

The VE extensions are top notch, the only thing i dont like about them is that they extend the running board all the way to the rear bumper, this makes for a huge snow pile up area.

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
I just received my VE Tunnel Extension yesterday! It looks amazing! Im very impressed! Just have to install it sometime. LOL. Thanks for the advice! Im definitely glad I sent the Tracks USA Extension back and ordered this one! Well worth the money!:face-icon-small-coo

T

thewished

Jan 13, 2009
Bend, Oregon
Just for piece of mind, I made my own extension for my sled (not an iqr) but I also didn't like the look of the running boards all the way up... Wish I had done at least a 1" lip because in this spring snow it throws it all over my back so then my shirt or jacket is soaked by the time I'm done riding.

M

MNIQR

Feb 28, 2006
Got the top section bent up from a friend from another site. Turned out good. Still has the plastic protector on it.
Also did my tunnel edge mod, still need to get it welded together were it bends in to the tunnel.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Premium Features