• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Build IQR 800 155 or buy a new 2011 pro rmk 800...?

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
I thought I heard rumor that the Pro-RMK will be about $1000.00 cheaper than the 2010 and 2009's. That would be cool. I am really up in the air about that engine. Seems they are changing it big AGAIN, and are de-tuning it. While everyone is going up in tuning Polaris is de-tuning a engine that couldn't put out the numbers they where saying from the get go (2008).

As far as jumping goes (I own U) if you make a mountain IQR by using the consumer RMK suspension you are going to be just as weak as the consumer sleds. Yes the bulkhead is stronger and the tunnel is. But when it comes to jumping the mountain skids can't handle it. Thats why the stock IQR skid wieghs about 80lbs (121) and a RMK 144" weighs about 40lbs. I know you are putting your 121" back in I own U, but the topic of the thread was building a mountain IQR.

I only use ez-rydes on my sleds and fox shocks. I have had no problem doing an 80ft. whip/30 foot drop repeatedly. I have hit that jump at least 50 times with my IQR and RMK and the IQR (long or short) just flys better... Don't get me wrong, the RMK flys pretty good but the IQR just is a much better platform to start out from.

That is IF you can do it right. When i did my IQR long track i didn't have the know how to do it right nor the coin so it got cobbled and i had alot of problems with it. If i could do it all over again, i would start now and work SLOWLY all summer. For the type of riding i do i HAVE to have a reliable sled and i find that polaris puts **** back together better than i do.... Because at the end of the day i am NOT a mechanic, i am a rider.

Last edited:

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
2011 Pro-RMK 155" $10,099.00 at my local dealer. That is with all the rebates and the 1 year engine warranty and 2 year body (could be reversed). For another $500.00 you get the 4 year ex-warranty.

Assualts are more, didn't ask.

M

MNIQR

Feb 28, 2006
Heres my thoughts. IQR with the new poo skid in it. i think win win.
Im not sold on the new motor yet. It may feel strong and last long enough to do a few test rides, but well see for sure come next season.

I

IdahoPowderHound

Jul 3, 2008
Alpine Wyoming
I agree on that for sure. Poo had the 800 cfi for three years and still couldnt fix the coolant and lean bog issue. Two guys i ride with still spike there water temps and when there not running hot there having issues with lean bogs. Both have 2010 top ends and one had gone through 7 top ends since 2008. I havnt had to open my hood on my 685 sruthers mod with twins only except to fill oil and change one set of plugs this whole winter. Kinda scarry that an open mod iqr is more reliable then a brand new efi sled.... just my 2 cents.

VTMTcowboy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
In my opinion it is all about how much time and effort you want to put into it. You could go with the new RMK and not have to put in any wrench time (or much) and probably avoid some headaches; or you can spend a lot of time building the IQR to your liking but will most likely run into some issues along the way. If I had the choice, I would go with the IQR because you would learn everything about your sled, how to fix it, and be able to put all the parts you prefer on it. And besides, if you run into any problems when building a sled it is nothing a few brews can't fix, haha. So I'd go with the IQR, just my .02. Either way, enjoy the ride!

A
Nov 27, 2007
Grand Marais, MN
my $.02

Here's what I would do....Take a brand new (08 or newer) IQr 600, buy a complete Holz coil over suspension and front suspenson from Mountainhorse, add a Trail Tank, feethookers, and a VE extensoin and have a Rippin IQr that will be just as "flippable" as the Pro RMK.

OH Crap, that's what I did this year!

So....what do I do about the horsepower thing, I mean with the little 600R and all. Looks like I need to find a 800CFI topend so I can have an 800R that will no doubt keep up to the new ProRMK.

OH Crap, I allready did that for next year. LOL

Total investment in my IQR is getting close to 9g's with this new topend, but it is still one of a kind and I have a feeling it will run with any PRoRMK.

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
Doing some research into the tempurature deal. The 08-09 heads have horrible coolant flow. I think its the mag side will always be hotter. I think they tried to fix it for the updated head and 2010, but according to some people its still not enough cooling. Even on the 600r bottom end your better off going with a aftermarket head.

hudini

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston area
I'm with the top 3...After getting things all worked out with my build I would not get a new Pro RMK because even with a Carls 860 it would not run with my 910 and I have been on both so I can honestly say that.

I also like the way my IQR rides, handles bumps, boondocks and chugs through the pow pow...

I am considering taking the easy road for my next sled and buying a new one with a 4 year warranty, I don't think you can beat having a warranty regardless of power and ride.

If you have time build an IQR, if you don't have time get a Pro with the warranty and ride it like you stole it. Just my 2 cents...

Premium Features