• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nytro Motor Down-What should I look for?

M

MattZx6

Dec 29, 2007
Brief Summary

08 Nytro
2000miles
MPI Stage II SC running 17psi at sea level (greedy, I know)
ARP head studs
Stock Internals
Pump/Water Meth

Sled has ran great all year, this past weekend the sled started/idled and ran fine but would fall on its face at top end. This is my second season at 17psi so I knew I was on borrowed time so I figured the end was near and gave it one last squeeze to verify my peak RPM. At 8000RPM the sled lost all power, check engine came on and I coasted to a stop and had a very rough idling chugging snowmobile. At that point I just left it and brought it back to the shop rather than risk damaging it further.

So far I have not had much time to get at it. I went do do a compression test however I did not have the proper sized fitting to thread into the plug holes. Upon removing the plugs my center plug and mag side plug are completely SOAKED in oil. PTO side plug is normal.

Any initial thoughts or anything in particular I should be on the look for when I get this motor out? No signs of coolant or oil anywhere in the engine compartment

Last edited:
S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
Check your water/meth nozzles and see which one(s) aren't spraying. Then you'll know which piston deto'd. Doesn't take much after the nozzle quits. :face-icon-small-sad

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
Betcha its cheaper to fix than a "blow'em up special" that makes 300 hp:face-icon-small-sho
As long as head and crank are fine the cases are way cheaper than a mod 2 stroke set of cases and cyl's.
Let us know the verdict.
RS

N
Jan 29, 2008
Hard to say but it could be 2 cracked pistons, cracked block or as simple as a blown head gasket. Does the motor turn over by hand easily with the plugs out?

Premium Features