• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need some advice on stripped chaincase bolt hole..

machz9805

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Pulled the chaincase cover off for the first time to inspect everything, and I knew I was in trouble when the threads came with the very bottom 10mm bolt. I was going to try tapping out the threads but it seems very soft in the hole and I'm not sure it'll hold. I was thinking of maybe drilling right through the tunnel and putting a flat head bolt through from the inside and putting a nut on the bolt for the chaincase cover. Anyone know of a reason this wouldn't work? Or maybe someone has a better solution/fix? Sled is a 17' summit G4

Thanks!

Last edited:
L
Dec 7, 2013
Same thing happened to my 2017. Purchase a helicoil thread repair kit. The kit comes with all the instructions to drill, tap and install the repair coil.
You can access everything through the hole on the running board under the chain case. Be sure to measure the depth of the hole to be repaired so you do not drill through your tunnel.

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
I did exactly the same thing however I pulled the chaincase, drilled, tapped and installed 2D inserts in all threads. Doo does have a repair process for this in their service manual however I think installing the inserts is a better way to go.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
Depending on which hole it is for access to drive a new bolt into it....

...I used to fix 2008 soft aluminum chain case holes by taking a 1/4" x 28 thread (whatever length) bolt and put it in the appropriate 1/4" drive socket w/extension(s) and and slowly drive the new standard fine thread bolt into the hole with a cordless drill.

Basically using the standard fine thread bolt to self/re-tap the existing hole out to 1/4".

That worked every time and really good, you could tighten down the case cover after and never strip out a hole again (by hand w/a 1/4" driver)

C
Nov 27, 2007
im fighting within right now too! Though im dealing with the 2 bolts in the worst locations... brand new sled and bolts are stripped for factory...:face-icon-small-fro

R
Nov 16, 2016
I've been doing things like this for 50 years. I can tell you that it pays a dividend when you repair things correctly.

Although I have not encountered this very issue, if I was to, I would use a thread insert (Helicoil) and I would use Loc-Tite to secure the insert.

This way you can keep it all Metric and to the OEM size!

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
im fighting within right now too! Though im dealing with the 2 bolts in the worst locations... brand new sled and bolts are stripped for factory...:face-icon-small-fro

I had the same thing happen on my '08 XP, and I think the design is basically the same today (magnesium saves weight, but it sucks for threads). I used helicoils to repair it, and I had to buy a right-angle drill attachment and a short bit to do the bottom two bolts that sit in the drain at the bottom footwell area. Was a hassle, but not that tough to repair once I had the right tools.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Depending on which hole it is for access to drive a new bolt into it....

...I used to fix 2008 soft aluminum chain case holes by taking a 1/4" x 28 thread (whatever length) bolt and put it in the appropriate 1/4" drive socket w/extension(s) and and slowly drive the new standard fine thread bolt into the hole with a cordless drill.

Basically using the standard fine thread bolt to self/re-tap the existing hole out to 1/4".

That worked every time and really good, you could tighten down the case cover after and never strip out a hole again (by hand w/a 1/4" driver)

I recommend this as STEP 1, if you /after you strip that out, move to the Helicoil.

Premium Features