• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is chewing through rubber ski stops common?

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
make ups hurry up sage :D tell um you gunna go postal!! that will get them going...or maybe the feds will bring them by all prompt like :)

That doesn't cut it any more - You have to be caught these day's making "indecent advances" that's getting the attention in today's world...:face-icon-small-blu
But again that generally takes 20 years to surface..LOL....:eyebrows:

No UPS notifications that I have a package coming as of this post.

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Skinz

Please excuse me, I'm from the (other) Cat side of the forum. We Cat guys love the Polaris Gripper ski on our "Fat" Cats! I just ordered a pair for my '17 Mountain Cat & need to run the narrower AC spindle dampers to fit; seems that neither the Polaris nor the AC rubbers hold up in the ski very long/well. Skinz sells a "Polaris Ski Spindle Pad" for $69.99 that fills the center holes in the ski to better support the rubber dampers. Do any of you have any first-hand experience with this product? Skinz makes good stuff, but I don't want to waste money on something that does not help. Some Cat guys do some plastic fabrication (ie; grind the center section flat) adding plastic supporting pieces. Does simply filling the voids in the ski spindle area with silicone do anything? Take pitty on a Kitty rider and share your thoughts. Thanks.:face-icon-small-coo

DuraPro

DuraPro - Perfection by Design™
Lifetime Membership
Feb 26, 2017
Evergreen, Colorado
www.DuraProUSA.com
Please excuse me, I'm from the (other) Cat side of the forum. We Cat guys love the Polaris Gripper ski on our "Fat" Cats! I just ordered a pair for my '17 Mountain Cat & need to run the narrower AC spindle dampers to fit; seems that neither the Polaris nor the AC rubbers hold up in the ski very long/well. Skinz sells a "Polaris Ski Spindle Pad" for $69.99 that fills the center holes in the ski to better support the rubber dampers. Do any of you have any first-hand experience with this product? Skinz makes good stuff, but I don't want to waste money on something that does not help. Some Cat guys do some plastic fabrication (ie; grind the center section flat) adding plastic supporting pieces. Does simply filling the voids in the ski spindle area with silicone do anything? Take pitty on a Kitty rider and share your thoughts. Thanks.:face-icon-small-coo

Hello MountainCat1, I don't personally have any experience with the Skinz Spindle Pad, but while developing the DuraPro™ Ski Dampener I do have quite a bit of recent experience testing the Polaris dampener rubbers. So I can offer my 2 cents into that.

There are several reasons that the existing dampeners are failing, but the MAIN reason is because the geometry allows them to be "squished" beyond their compressive stress limits. Their failure has mostly to do with travel, not force as I'll explain below.

In actuality, adding any type of material underneath the dampener, by means of a support or by filling the voids in the Gripper Ski, actually exacerbates the problem by slightly increasing the compressive strain curve. In other words, flexing the ski the same amount as before the modification now puts even more stress on the dampener, which will lead to even less life.

However, the reason that some people might see a slight increase in life of the dampener while adding material underneath it, is because they have in a round-about-way increased the "rigidity" of the dampener. The ski is now more difficult to flex, so the travel is therefore less, and this equates to less compression on the dampener. Less compression = longer life (at the expense of not having as much ski travel).

To further explain, here's an example:
Gripper Ski #1 has a standard OEM dampener and is Unfilled underneath the dampener (aka "the unfilled ski").
Gripper Ski #2 has a standard OEM dampener and is filled underneath the dampener (aka "the filled ski").

Taking both skis and flexing them a certain amount, let's say 10" up on the tip, will take more force with the filled ski than with the unfilled one, and at the same time, the dampener will fail sooner in the filled ski than the unfilled one.

However, take both skis and flex them a certain force, let's say 200# up on the tip, the filled ski will travel less than the unfilled one, and at the same time the dampener will fail sooner in the unfilled ski than the filled one.

For the best of both worlds and for less moo-la, :face-icon-small-ton why not check out:
https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4106621#post4106621

Last edited:

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Yea... a box of soft/squishy cubes is a bit suspect these days.

You should be able to handle that over the phone with them though.

Indeed-..MH- it was under the microscope, and declaired value was also a holdup in customs.
Finally got ahold of them (UPS) this morning- had to verify the contents- they had to open it- and provided my tax-ID #..

Passed all their exam, According to UPS,Package will be here Monday in my shop by EOB. ( end of business)

K
Dec 11, 2017
Urethane ski stops

Hey guys! New to the forum but I work for a plastics manufacturing company in Iowa. If I could get a rough estimate of how many guys out there really want these in urethane I can inquire about having them made. Obviously we wouldn’t have shipping issues for the guys in the states. I’m just having the same problem with and that you are thought I try to help.

DuraPro

Lifetime Membership
Feb 26, 2017
Evergreen, Colorado
www.DuraProUSA.com
Hey guys! New to the forum but I work for a plastics manufacturing company in Iowa. If I could get a rough estimate of how many guys out there really want these in urethane I can inquire about having them made. Obviously we wouldn’t have shipping issues for the guys in the states. I’m just having the same problem with and that you are thought I try to help.

Hi Kolt45, it's nice to meet you! Welcome to the forum... everyone I've dealt with here, including the moderators are absolutely wonderful people, and I'm sure you'll receive a warm welcome like I did a few months ago.

I am the CEO and Chief Engineer of a manufacturing company in Colorado and we recently developed and patented a solution to the ever-failing ski dampeners. Made in the USA too! :face-icon-small-hap

As I've briefly explained in previous posts, the intrinsic design of the current dampener geometry leads to failures, regardless of what type of elastomer it is made from (rubber or urethane). So, we had to think outside the box and came up with what our tests show to be the solution.

You mention that you suffer from the same problem as the rest of us, so please feel free to check it out on the swap meet page:
https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4106621#post4106621

Hope you have a good New Years and a safe and fun riding season!
Ryan

DuraPro

Lifetime Membership
Feb 26, 2017
Evergreen, Colorado
www.DuraProUSA.com
Ryan, Could you make a ski dampener that would fit the Arctic Cat spindles & the Polaris Gripper skis? There are alot of potential customers running that combination!

Yes, certainly possible, especially since we already have dimensions / design for the Gripper ski bottom. There would have to be enough demand though to justify the new tooling for the Arctic Cat spindle side of things.

If the demand wasn't high enough to put into full production, it could perhaps be a "made to order" part.

What model and years in particular are the sleds/spindles?

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Yes, certainly possible, especially since we already have dimensions / design for the Gripper ski bottom. There would have to be enough demand though to justify the new tooling for the Arctic Cat spindle side of things.

If the demand wasn't high enough to put into full production, it could perhaps be a "made to order" part.

What model and years in particular are the sleds/spindles?

I believe the AC Spindles from '12 to '18 are all the same; the '16 to '18 run a wider dampener only on the ski end to fit the Proclimb 7 ski; that's why on the newer models we use the pre-16 AC dampener to fit the Gripper ski. The AC part # are 3603-273 Ski damper & 2603-813 Axle spindle. Rows 2 & 4 of the nubs on the bottom of the rubber need to be cut off to make the AC damper fit into the Gripper ski saddle.

Last edited:

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
The Eagle Has Landed !!!!!

Received the Sweden Gulfi Bumpers Today!!

I will go through the list and P/M those in order received from SW members.

Being proactive, also have 9 pairs for the Summit G4 with stock skis!
They are available on first come basis- so let your Doo buddies know
All 9 pairs are available as of this posting.. ( Second Picture Doo Bumpers)

As you can see in the Pictures below- these did NOT come in RED-

I really didn't care but wanted to be transparent if someone was really banking on the pour color.

95377FD3-F495-4B40-9742-E6555BBD6794.jpg

9F6CA4DF-04FA-44B8-91EC-39705B918F8A.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features