• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SLP can for the 850

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I have a couple rides on my new SLP can and feel it is fat on the bottom and a bit flat on acceleration due to it. The sled is well out of break-in now and running 91 fuel mode. I put the can on right around 8 hours so it is a bit unclear if the can has anything to do with it. Before switching back to stock to check, has anyone else had any experience with this? BTW fit and finish is very good with the can.

A-Mod 96A

Premium Member
Dec 8, 2008
Beltrami, MN
SLP can

I have the SLP trail can on my 850 since new with 15 hours on the sled and noticed that when I switched from the ethanol fuel settings to the 91 setting it started running pretty fat on the bottom end, switched back to ethanol and it cleaned right up again.

SLP

Premium Member
I have a couple rides on my new SLP can and feel it is fat on the bottom and a bit flat on acceleration due to it. The sled is well out of break-in now and running 91 fuel mode. I put the can on right around 8 hours so it is a bit unclear if the can has anything to do with it. Before switching back to stock to check, has anyone else had any experience with this? BTW fit and finish is very good with the can.

Hello Theth-Air. You may have already checked through these things, but I thought I might post them for your convenience or anyone else that has had similar issues. There are a few things that we ran into within the first few hundred miles with our 850s. I recommend checking each of them on your sled if you have not already done so. While going through the break-in mode with the extra fuel and oil used during this phase, it is very common to have partially fouled plugs by the time you reach the end of break-in (this is a very simple, but commonly overlooked performance point). Check plugs first and replace as needed. Plugs are cheap, so you may want to just replace them (they are NGK BPR9ES). Make sure if you are running non-ethanol fuel, that you are running in the non-ethanol mode, it is the leaner mapping of the 2 settings. What kind of RPM are you running? You should be between 8150 and 8300 at wide open throttle on the 850 for the best performance and snappiest feel from this engine. It has also been common for these sleds to have belt deflection that is loose straight out of the box. Loose belt deflection will make it feel pretty sluggish on the bottom end. We have seen where belt deflection has to be adjusted several times as the belt breaks in. We like to run our belt deflection tight enough that the track will turn just a tiny bit at idle when on a jackstand (this usually ends up being about 1.25" of deflection). If it is squealing at an idle, you are close, but a bit too tight. Loosen it just a hair and you'll be set. Our 850s have been excellent performers with our silencer and clutching installed once we got them through their break in mode, but we have addressed each of these points on our sleds.

Please call us if you have any questions.
Adam Wood
Sales Manager, SLP
adam@slp.cc

N
Apr 9, 2018
Hello Theth-Air. You may have already checked through these things, but I thought I might post them for your convenience or anyone else that has had similar issues. There are a few things that we ran into within the first few hundred miles with our 850s. I recommend checking each of them on your sled if you have not already done so. While going through the break-in mode with the extra fuel and oil used during this phase, it is very common to have partially fouled plugs by the time you reach the end of break-in (this is a very simple, but commonly overlooked performance point). Check plugs first and replace as needed. Plugs are cheap, so you may want to just replace them (they are NGK BPR9ES). Make sure if you are running non-ethanol fuel, that you are running in the non-ethanol mode, it is the leaner mapping of the 2 settings. What kind of RPM are you running? You should be between 8150 and 8300 at wide open throttle on the 850 for the best performance and snappiest feel from this engine. It has also been common for these sleds to have belt deflection that is loose straight out of the box. Loose belt deflection will make it feel pretty sluggish on the bottom end. We have seen where belt deflection has to be adjusted several times as the belt breaks in. We like to run our belt deflection tight enough that the track will turn just a tiny bit at idle when on a jackstand (this usually ends up being about 1.25" of deflection). If it is squealing at an idle, you are close, but a bit too tight. Loosen it just a hair and you'll be set. Our 850s have been excellent performers with our silencer and clutching installed once we got them through their break in mode, but we have addressed each of these points on our sleds.

Adam Wood
Sales Manager, SLP
adam@slp.cc

I have checked all these things, but i intermittently have a bog off the bottom end when I stab the throttle. I have had the competition silencer on from new. 17.5hrs on the sled. The bog has shown up the last 2 rides Wasn’t there before. Haven’t put the stock can back on to try yet but these things seem very rich in the bottom end.

Last edited:

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
I have the SLP trail can on my 850 since new with 15 hours on the sled and noticed that when I switched from the ethanol fuel settings to the 91 setting it started running pretty fat on the bottom end, switched back to ethanol and it cleaned right up again.
doesn't make sense, ethanol mode will use more fuel throughout the entire rpms

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

SLP

Premium Member
I have checked all these things, but i intermittently have a bog off the bottom end when I stab the throttle. I have had the competition silencer on from new. 17.5hrs on the sled. The bog has shown up the last 2 rides Wasn’t there before. Haven’t put the stock can back on to try yet but these things seem very rich in the bottom end.

Have the snow conditions you've been running in the last couple rides been any different from what you were running in previously? As the snow gets deeper it becomes more important to make sure your exhaust is sealed on every joint. Deeper snow will block of the exhaust outlet and a joint that doesn't have all the springs, enough tension, or the proper seal installed will flood the engine compartment with exhaust gases and the sled will bog. Every joint should be checked for proper seal (cylinder to y-pipe, y-pipe to pipe, pipe to silencer, silencer to belly-pan). A few really common things we see when our lightweight silencer has been installed are a grafoil donut missing between the pipe and silencer or the pink exhaust seal to bellypan missing or not properly sealed.

We have also seen on the 850 Patriot that the engine pumps more air since it is making more horsepower. Because it needs more air, it requires that you are more careful about checking your stock intake prefilters and making sure they are not getting iced over or plugged off. You can add our powder snow prefilters or Powder Valve if you are regularly getting plugged off in the super deep powder.

When you say it is an intermittent problem it also makes me think it might be a good idea to check your wire to cap and cap to spark plug connections and make sure you don't have a loose connection that is causing you to loose spark intermittently.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca

Adam Wood
Sales Manager, SLP
adam@slp.cc

Adam, your response is much appreciated. In 91 map and belt is adjusted as I am always on top of that. The plugs are original and they do seem to be fouling slightly even if left idling for a couple minutes. I will try changing them but why I did not expect them to be a problem is because while others in our group fouled plugs during break-in mine ran like a champ. It is only now that it is doing this. Once on the throttle it seems to clear quickly.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca

Mine sounds very similar too except mine is trail can, and my sled is at 18 hours. Snow hasn't changed for me. I will try spark plugs now.

N
Apr 9, 2018
Have the snow conditions you've been running in the last couple rides been any different from what you were running in previously? As the snow gets deeper it becomes more important to make sure your exhaust is sealed on every joint. Deeper snow will block of the exhaust outlet and a joint that doesn't have all the springs, enough tension, or the proper seal installed will flood the engine compartment with exhaust gases and the sled will bog. Every joint should be checked for proper seal (cylinder to y-pipe, y-pipe to pipe, pipe to silencer, silencer to belly-pan). A few really common things we see when our lightweight silencer has been installed are a grafoil donut missing between the pipe and silencer or the pink exhaust seal to bellypan missing or not properly sealed.

We have also seen on the 850 Patriot that the engine pumps more air since it is making more horsepower. Because it needs more air, it requires that you are more careful about checking your stock intake prefilters and making sure they are not getting iced over or plugged off. You can add our powder snow prefilters or Powder Valve if you are regularly getting plugged off in the super deep powder.

When you say it is an intermittent problem it also makes me think it might be a good idea to check your wire to cap and cap to spark plug connections and make sure you don't have a loose connection that is causing you to loose spark intermittently.
Snow conditions were maybe deeper the last couple rides. I will check connections the pink gasket is and sealed with silicone. Fresh plugs didn’t help it. Sled seems extremely ritch on the bottom end almost loading up on decents then once in the trottle it clears.

N
Apr 9, 2018
Mine sounds very similar too except mine is trail can, and my sled is at 18 hours. Snow hasn't changed for me. I will try spark plugs now.

I swapped plugs didn’t help mine. I never fouled any during break in and haven’t had starting issues. Just seems so rich in the bottom. I’m going to swap the stock can back on just to make sure. Pulls good mid and top end just find the bottom super fat

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
I just did the first 4 hours on my 850 with the stock can. I’m getting ready to put on my SLP comp can. On a couple different threads I’m reading that guys are melting there pull ropes?? The instructions say to remove the pulley, does this need to be done?

My buddy got a straight line can and didn’t have to remove the pulley.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! I have a 8 day trip coming up and don’t want to melt down the pulley and starter rope.

Premium Features