• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skinz drive belt bash plates?

C

clamlake600

Feb 2, 2010
go with the vei alum belt skid plate. wont flex like the plastic bellypan or skinz plates.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
go with the vei alum belt skid plate. wont flex like the plastic bellypan or skinz plates.

Some potential issues with metal include overall weight, and once you hit something it can bend, which sucks! Plastic will typically take the hit and maybe flex some and if it does flex a little, will just pop back. I also think the high density plastic offers protection that obstructions (rocks, stumps......) can slide across easier with less resistance, where as the metal may or could catch more.

I also look at the side by side market and most guys that run full undercarriage protection kits are typically running something made of high density plastic?

I can tell you, that I have installed the Skinz bash plates on my new 850 and they seem pretty decent. They are light and molded for a really nice fit and I think they would offer good protection.

Again, just some thoughts on the topic as I'm sure more will join in.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Here’s some pics of the Skinz bash plates installed,

IMG_3667.jpg

IMG_3668.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

clamlake600

Feb 2, 2010
those are all great points, but the reality is its just plastic and will flex and damage that area easier that a alum one. as far as being more slick and slide over a rock? never seen a smooth rock, except in the river...usually all rough around the edges..the softer material grabs and holds where as two hard surfaces deflect off each other... a great example is a jetski pump for instance. the stainless steel rings in yamaha/kawasaki hold up 10 times better than the plastic liners that seadoo uses in theirs. plastic will always be on the losing end..

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
those are all great points, but the reality is its just plastic and will flex and damage that area easier that a alum one. as far as being more slick and slide over a rock? never seen a smooth rock, except in the river...usually all rough around the edges..the softer material grabs and holds where as two hard surfaces deflect off each other... a great example is a jetski pump for instance. the stainless steel rings in yamaha/kawasaki hold up 10 times better than the plastic liners that seadoo uses in theirs. plastic will always be on the losing end..

Ummm aluminum is much stickier than stainless or plastic.

You are mixing your metaphors.

You kinda proved yourself wrong there. ???

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Ummm aluminum is much stickier than stainless or plastic.

You are mixing your metaphors.

You kinda proved yourself wrong there. ???
Psh. What do you even know about sheetmetal?

But in all seriousness, has anyone had, ridden with, or seen a quick drive pully damaged from an impact there that wasn’t a serious impact that damaged the sled in other ways too?

Just trying to decide if it’s worth it or marketing hype. I bought a vei one for my ‘13 pro. 5 seasons now, sled as a whole shows wear, but not a scratch on the vei plate, which tells me it was never used to save an impact.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

But in all seriousness, has anyone had, ridden with, or seen a quick drive pully damaged from an impact there that wasn’t a serious impact that damaged the sled in other ways too?

Just trying to decide if it’s worth it or marketing hype. I bought a vei one for my ‘13 pro. 5 seasons now, sled as a whole shows wear, but not a scratch on the vei plate, which tells me it was never used to save an impact.

I’ve Never seen a damaged qd pulley period.

Broken chaincase yes. (Big rock smash)

I’ve built my own aluminum ones and been stopped dead by them sticking to rocks.
Plastic always hits and slides over.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I’ve Never seen a damaged qd pulley period.

Broken chaincase yes. (Big rock smash)

I’ve built my own aluminum ones and been stopped dead by them sticking to rocks.
Plastic always hits and slides over.

I think you hit the nail on the head there!!

That's exactly what I was talking about, when considering an edge on a rock. The rock will dig into metal and if hit hard enough, bend the metal. High density plastic will typically absorb some of the shock, yes probably move a little and then slide across.

In reality.....If you hit hard enough, you will probably do damage either way but......I would rather deal with one problem then having to deal with trying to bend a metal protection plate back into its original place, just so I can start working on another problem.

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
Landed hard on a rock with 16 Axys and broke the bottom 1/2 inch off of quick drive backing plate. Have Skinz bash plates on now. Alot heaver then stock plastic.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca

The belly pan gets bent up and traps the QD belt against the pulley and gouges out the outside face of the belt. This may or may not destroy the belt. The protection is cheaper than a belt so it is worth it.

Premium Features