• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 octane recommendations

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
The manuel says 87 or 91 can be used , but 91 is Recommended in the engine specifications,But in another part of the owners manual it says to use 91 octane to prevent poor engine performance and bad fuel economy. The manual is conficting itself. Does anybody know the compression ratio of this engine? In my opinion, 87 should offer better performance at Altitude than 91, the engine should be equipped with a det sensor , as we know more or octane does not equal more power, only a more stable combustion chamber, What is everyone’s opinion on this.

Last edited:

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
Can run 87 if have to(I my self would run it in eth mode whether it's ethanol gas or not).....best to be safe and run 91 if available. My .02

N
Mar 7, 2018
In my opinion, 87 should offer better performance at Altitude than 91, the Sanjan should be equipped with a det sensor , as we know more or octane does not equal more power, only a more stable combustion chamber, What is everyone’s opinion on this.

That's not at all true.. octane is resistance to knock.. more knock resistance means optimized ignition for greater indicated power, lower indicated specific fuel consumption, etc. Most OE powersports applications will design a combustion chamber and develop a calibration optimized for 91 oct pump gas. In this instance, you aren't gaining anything running race gas, but you will lose performance and increase likelihood of knock if you run 87 oct. Yes, the knock sensor should catch it, but it's after the knock event happened and it will pull timing and ultimately lose some performance.

It is true that you're less likely to have knock with lower atmospheric pressure, but you're definitely not going to have a performance gain with lower octane pump gas.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
That's not at all true.. octane is resistance to knock.. more knock resistance means optimized ignition for greater indicated power, lower indicated specific fuel consumption, etc. Most OE powersports applications will design a combustion chamber and develop a calibration optimized for 91 oct pump gas. In this instance, you aren't gaining anything running race gas, but you will lose performance and increase likelihood of knock if you run 87 oct. Yes, the knock sensor should catch it, but it's after the knock event happened and it will pull timing and ultimately lose some performance.

It is true that you're less likely to have knock with lower atmospheric pressure, but you're definitely not going to have a performance gain with lower octane pump gas.

You didn't read his post. ALTITUDE. I have two supercharged F150 trucks, I tune them with gas, depending on current setup and ECU tune. A lot of the time at 5000 feet elevation, they run better on 87 or 89 octane than the "required" 91.

N
Mar 7, 2018
You didn't read his post. ALTITUDE. I have two supercharged F150 trucks, I tune them with gas, depending on current setup and ECU tune. A lot of the time at 5000 feet elevation, they run better on 87 or 89 octane than the "required" 91.

There is chemically no advantage to running lower octane fuel, including elevation and especially when boosted. You're either calibrating poorly or the lower octane fuel has ethanol content. There is literally zero evidence that can dispute this aside from people on the internet that don't understand fuel properties or thermodynamics giving their opinion.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
In my past Polaris 800's, I could run 87 non ethanol fuel with no head on the non ethanol setting above 10k. Ran like a raped ape! I'm not a thermodynamic whatever, but to me you want to run hot without any detonation or risking the motor. I put 2800 miles on a Pro this way.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Fuel to air ratio low octane burns cleaner with correct ratio for compression.

N
Mar 7, 2018
Fuel to air ratio low octane burns cleaner with correct ratio for compression.

I'm beating a dead horse here, but octane has nothing to do with burning cleaner or changing A/F ratio. Octane is an additive difference. There is no significant change in HC content.

87e10 will burn "cleaner" (leaner) than 91e0 because it is oxygenated, but no different than 91e10 aside from the fact that the 87oct is more prone to knock/pre-ignition.

Last edited:
K
Apr 11, 2010
AK
In Alaska we can only get max 90 octane pump gas (no ethanol). Since i buy 100 LL Avgas in bulk for my other hobby i usually throw 1 to 1.5 gallons of it in each tank fill to give me a little more octane margin. I have had no issues doing this.

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
i'm not well versed on the subject but my 2017 800 would pull 50-100 more revs on 91 ethanol vs 88 non-eth (8k-11k elev). i run non-eth in all my small engines and anything that may have fuel sitting in it for more than 6 weeks. that has eliminated many carb rebuilds and the constant need for injector cleaner in my engines. if i do have ethanol sitting in my tanks i try to have them completely full (ethanol is hygroscopic) and hopefully have a stabilizer that prevents two phase separation.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
There is chemically no advantage to running lower octane fuel, including elevation and especially when boosted. You're either calibrating poorly or the lower octane fuel has ethanol content. There is literally zero evidence that can dispute this aside from people on the internet that don't understand fuel properties or thermodynamics giving their opinion.

you are wrong low octane fuel ignites easier than high octane fuel ,a low compression engine gains no advantage from high octane fuel and can loose power from running it,
however you are correct a high performance engine can gain massive amounts of hp by increasing compression and advancing timing .

N
Mar 7, 2018
you are wrong low octane fuel ignites easier than high octane fuel ,a low compression engine gains no advantage from high octane fuel and can loose power from running it,
however you are correct a high performance engine can gain massive amounts of hp by increasing compression and advancing timing .

If by ignite easier, you mean auto-ignite (knock) at a lower cylinder temp and pressure, then you are right. If you have a homogeneous charge and are controlling the ignition source (i.e. spark ignition engine), then you are wrong. Octane doesn’t effect flame propagation or flame speed / burn rate in the combustion chamber.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
any way you slice it there is no performance advantage in running high octane gas in a low compression engine .

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
90% of you clowns can’t tell the difference between a good running sled and a stuttering, bogging sled anyways. As if you’re gonna know difference between 94 and 91 octane fuel. Haha

Last edited:

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Ethanol contains less energy than non-ethanol gasoline. So if ethanol is the agent used to increase octane, lower performance could be expected.

Probably not to a level that would be noticeable.

Now the argument exists that higher octane would allow the compression ratio to be higher or timing advanced, thus noticeably increasing the power.

If we're simply talking premium vs 87 octane (neither containing ethanol) I'm not aware of a difference in btu content.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I think you guys are missing the point some here as you argue over the fuels ability to burn one better than another. It's the maps that must be considered. Polaris says they have detuned the map for ethanol fuels in order to protect the motors. So if you run non-ethanol fuel you are giving up some performance by running the ethanol mode. Now how do they do this?? More fuel to keep the pistons cooler, timing changes etc. Maybe there are conditions that this ethanol map could actually make your sled run better though. e.g. I often have put my sled in ethanol mode for trail riding as I believe they run leaner at mid-range. Also if you have a more free-flow exhaust you may find a little richer fueling could even add power.

K
Apr 11, 2010
AK
90% of you clowns can’t tell the difference between a good running sled and a stuttering, bogging sled anyways. As if you’re gonna know difference between 94 and 91 octane fuel. Haha

Oh Great Oracle of all things sled, I believe it's called 'erring on the conservative side'. I'd much rather run a homebrew 94ish octane blend than the iffy pump I can buy here.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Oh Great Oracle of all things sled, I believe it's called 'erring on the conservative side'. I'd much rather run a homebrew 94ish octane blend than the iffy pump I can buy here.

Ahahahaha! “Great Oracle of all things sled.” Thats awesome! I’m gonna put that under my screen name.

Premium Features