• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Review and Install: Scala Rider G9 Communication system.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Both of our Scalas bit the dust today.
Mine will no longer lock into place and fell out on the snow.
My son's fell off while riding.

Both are now toast.

NOTE.
This is NOT from them failing in some manner, but from getting WHACKED HARD on the side of my helmet a few too many times!

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Had a conversation with Cardo systems this morning.
They think their new Scala Rider PackTalk would work well for Snowmobiling.
So I am ordering THREE of the units to test this season.

http://cardosystems.com/us/portfolio-item/packtalk-2/

10006772_890_FR02_15.JPG

PACKTALK-image.jpg

Look for a full season review of this new technology starting in December just as soon as there is enough snow for us to start riding!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I'm interested in hearing how they work. I need to replace my old Chatterbox units for this riding season. I like the smaller size, but I need to replace before your review will be out.
Well, the review should be started by the end of the week.
Sorry I can't push the riding up, we just don't have much snow.
But I will report as much as I can.

BUT..
If the new ones are an improvement on the old ones, chances are I am going to like the new ones ALOT, and I REALLY LOVED the old ones.

pauly815

Premium Member
Oct 9, 2011
park city ut
I'am also very interested in your findings. I've owned older cardo systems with mixed results. Also U Clear "worthless". Now BCA, but cant take one hand off the bars to tell the rest of the crew not to follow me.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I'am also very interested in your findings. I've owned older cardo systems with mixed results. Also U Clear "worthless". Now BCA, but cant take one hand off the bars to tell the rest of the crew not to follow me.

So right now we all ride with the BCA Link and with Garmin Rhinos.

I don't think the Scala will ever really replace the Garmins or BCA for being able to REACH OUT simply because they offer higher power channels.

BUT.
When we are within sight of each other, then the Scala just SHINES and allows that fun banter between riders while we are tearing it up.

If someone gets lost or separated, first we grab the BCA, and if that doesn't work THEN we pull out the Garmins and switch to high power.

96-ramair

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2012
Sena is also a great option!

Christopher, I know you already bought the Scala's, but have you considered units from Sena? In my riding party, we commonly use the SMH-10. It's similar to Scala, but I didn't have any of the "short range" connectivity issues you described. They have similar range to Scala, but I've found they're much easier to use with a gloved hand. Slap the large jog dial to talk, slap again to end, twist for volume, etc. It's really easy to use, and they've worked phenomonally for my crew for many years now. These systems have worked well for me. Full cellphone like conversations, I can keep an open line with at least 2 other riders for hours at a time, and my battery lasts at least 2-3 riding days on average. I've been using them for years on a road bike, and had no issues at all with a snowmobile helmet.

Paired with a Sena SR-10, I can also stay in touch with others in my party who use BCA Link (or any other FRS/GMRS) radios. This unit goes in my handlebar bag connected to a cheap Midland FRS/GMRS radio, with a handlebar PTT button on my left. Incoming BCA comms come into my helmet, and with a push of the button, I can talk back (just like you'd use a BCA Link). No need to stop and key a mic on my shoulder, and I can hear in both ears of my helmet, so I'm more sure to get what they're saying. There is just one catch. It takes a moment for the SR-10 bridge unit to "connect" the handheld radio to the bluetooth in my helmet. People have to know to pause slightly after keying their mic, and I have to do the same when I push the handlebar button to talk to them.

This kinda makes me the "operator" of the group. I can talk long-range with anyone using traditional radios, and I can also talk to folks in a Scala-like or cellphone-like conversation.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Quite a few years have passed now and I think it is time to revisit this technology.
All of the current reviews I have seen in the Motorcycle space speak strongly of the newest versions of the Cardo.
I am going to reach out to Cardo Systems and see if we can't get another few of these for a new Eval and Revew and see if perhaps the technology is now more appropriate for Snowmobiling use.

Premium Features