• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

AVI DANGER

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Maybe this is already being implemented,,, I was thinking, what if a large sign was installed at the start of snow season at the snoparks, like what the DNR uses for fire danger. You know,,, an arrow on a board with pretty much the same words, low, medium, high and EXTREME. This came to me considering what just happened
on the east side.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
It would be a waste of time and money. If you think a sign like that is going to save lives then you're just as ignorant as someone getting killed in an avalanche when the Avalanche danger is high.

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
send that idea to your forest service district ranger. I can't imagine any interest, but your voice will go further than being said here.

1500psi

Lifetime Membership
Feb 11, 2008
Sign

It's actually a good idea. It's not about him, it's about the unknowing idiots who don't look or even think about it sometimes. There should be a sign at SLS and even a davidoff Avy beacon checker station.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
HA!

It would be a waste of time and money. If you think a sign like that is going to save lives then you're just as ignorant as someone getting killed in an avalanche when the Avalanche danger is high.

Gotta love morons like you,,,, the idea was to be the last warning as machos such as your self leave the parking lot. Some real deep thinking on some of you....

L
Dec 8, 2013
West & East
Gotta love morons like you,,,, the idea was to be the last warning as machos such as your self leave the parking lot. Some real deep thinking on some of you....

I think before you judge you need to understand where Chadly is coming from (see his post on avy rant). He just lost a buddy in an avy. And while i dont think he was being personal, i think his point is more about the choices we all make and whether a sign is gonna really help.

I agree anything is better than nothing, but i was up at lake ann last weekend and i cant tell you how many guys we watched, without pcks or gear doing stupid stuff. Would a sign have helped. Maybe, i just dont know.

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
I have taken a few avy classes and they will tell you straight up that most deaths come when conditions
are considerable not high. you are never safe up there and should always be evaluating and re evaluating slopes as the day goes on. I was in a slide @ baker the same day so it just goes to show that even with training a lot of us are still at risk by the decisions we make up there. it may have been an epic day to ride but certainly not worth dying for
RIP mike

WaBackcountry

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Orondo, WA
Sign is a stupid idea imo. There are abundant resources available to warn people about avy danger. The last thing we need is another sign, or another rule or a new law.

When you go in the backcountry you make a choice to play by mother natures rules. Its survival of the fittest out there. You can do everything right and still die. You can be a complete moron and live forever. There is a certain amount of risk that we all take by going out there.

We need less hand holding not more.

U
Sep 12, 2010

By their account, Two sledders rode an unstable slope above two other riders eating lunch with their gear off and their machines not ready to ride.

I don't know that a sign would have lead those four individuals to make other choices that day.

idacatman2

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, ID
The avy beacon checker was present and working at SLS on Saturday.

What are you talking about? We don't have a Avy beacon checker station anywhere around here yet.

I beg to differ there was one on the right side of the trail as you headed out both my wife and I saw it and confirmed we were beeping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

W

wakeska813

Nov 5, 2011
By their account, Two sledders rode an unstable slope above two other riders eating lunch with their gear off and their machines not ready to ride.

I don't know that a sign would have lead those four individuals to make other choices that day.

Let's all be honest here. It doesn't matter the slope or conditions avalanches are inherit to what we do by riding sleds in the backcountry. ITS always a chance for a slide. A few years ago I saw a video on snowest or YouTube of a guy high siding a bank on the GROOMED trail (here in Washington) after it had snowed some and it slid, buried him to his neck. Now who hasn't done that? I have and I will be the first to admit it, how many have stopped to take a sweater off, change gloves, change goggles or simply take the weight off your sore back for a minute etc etc and had to take your pack off? (Never taken off beacon). So dam tired of seeing all this "should have done this" "shouldn't have done that" BS we all have made dumb choices before. And it won't stop more and more people get sleds every year so rather then pointing fingers and saying quite rude comments let's educate each other, look out for one another and make people aware of what they are doing or what they have done. So many times have I hit a hill thinking maybe not the smartest choice, if you haven't done any of these then good for you and you must stick strictly to the freshly groomed trails. Doesn't matter if there's feet of new snow or spring snow in April THERE is always the chance for a slide.

I consider everyone on the hill to be family as this sport is such a close knit family and to start chopping people down for what they did or didn't do is quite petty. When looking back on situations there are always decisions that we could have made better. I broke my femur and knocked myself out 6yrs ago snowboarding with my friend who is a military medic, wasn't in the backcountry, wasn't hitting a huge jump in fact just riding under a chairlift at Stevens Pass and due to recent snow hit a tiny tree which kicked my board straight and lost control and hit two trees.

Let's come together rather then put a divide between us all. Doesn't matter your look on politics, religion, what you ride etc etc etc at the end of the day all I want is to come home to my wife and my two cats, yes I said cats don't have kids but love my wife and cats. As I write this I just got a text from a buddy I ride with who has noticed some disrespect about this. So disappointed right now with some of the crap I have seen and read on this fourm. If anyone has a problem with what I have said here don't reply to it don't send me a private message you can call me and tell me yourself here's my number 425-677-5645 I would be more than happy to discuss how you feel.

Let's all do the right thing and honor this AWESOME guy by taking his tragity and turning it into a positive. R.I.P Mike I dedicate my season to you and will always honor your life by riding safe and being more aware than I have been.

Premium Features