• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Rino GPS Units

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I got to check it out at the Teva games in Vail last month. Looks like a sweet unit. Much better screen eliminates the ho-key menu system.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
What is better than the 530 besides the bigger screen?

OrangeKowJumper

Lifetime Membership
Jul 31, 2010
Well .. I got right around 26 hours of battery time from full charge to dead.. .granted, this was just laying idle on the table and I'd pick it up and mess around every now and then, so not a lot of activity on the unit during this time. .but still good.
I put mine to good use this past weekend at Haydays. .previously I'd try to write down what row I saw something in, or worse yet. .try to remember. ..then not be able to find it later on . ..well .. Mr. Rino took care of that very nicely!!. . just marked a waypoint at anything I was interested in and entered a note for whatever it was.. and click..saved!..I could literally end up within a foot or two of where I'd saved the waypoint when I went back to look for something!. . .

Johnny

NapaMatt

Matryx 850 Pow Slayer!
Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2009
Stewartville, MN
www.napaonline.com
Well .. I got right around 26 hours of battery time from full charge to dead.. .granted, this was just laying idle on the table and I'd pick it up and mess around every now and then, so not a lot of activity on the unit during this time. .but still good.
I put mine to good use this past weekend at Haydays. .previously I'd try to write down what row I saw something in, or worse yet. .try to remember. ..then not be able to find it later on . ..well .. Mr. Rino took care of that very nicely!!. . just marked a waypoint at anything I was interested in and entered a note for whatever it was.. and click..saved!..I could literally end up within a foot or two of where I'd saved the waypoint when I went back to look for something!. . .

Johnny

Which Model did ya buy????

thanks

OrangeKowJumper

Lifetime Membership
Jul 31, 2010
Sorry.. it's the new 650. .pretty slick unit!. . I'm not much of a touch screen fan but I like this so far .. looking forward to having a lot more mapping options . .

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
I just got done chatting with Brian at RAM Mounts:

http://www.ram-mount.com/NewProducts/garminrinomounts/tabid/3934/Default.aspx

The main cradle for the Rino 6 series units will not be available until mid Nov, they are still in the mold creation process.
Looks like we'll get them just in time for the season. :)

Great customer service and very easy to work with. They are going to ship my mount and let me come in and will call the cradle, as I am local to them here in Seattle.

T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
I received my new 650 a couple weeks ago. Seems like a really nice unit. Haven't played with it too much, but I'm heading out to ND duck hunting in a week and it will get its first real use. Can't wait.

B

brian_moreau7

Nov 9, 2008
What model is everyone buying? Can't make up my mind between the 655t and the 650? ..............

The 655t comes preloaded with Topo 100 Maps..... And a 5 M.P. Camera ( Wont' Use Anyway)

......$599.99USD

The 650 is a little cheaper but doesn't come preloaded with maps, and is missing the Camera....

$ 499.99USD

Prices are straight off the Garmin Website...

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
There are quite a few places to get topo maps on the Internet. When I bought my 62 last year I went for the model without maps and just uploaded the ones I needed from the web. Then I started working on creating my own trail maps.

K
Just ordered my new 650 last night, should have it by Wed. :)

Got the RAM handlebar mount for it too.

I would never mount another gps to my bars again.I had a Garmin HcS mounted to my bars one year and ran out of skill on a sick side hill.rolled a few times and the rest is history.Somebody found a nice new gps unit when the snow melted.plastic cracks when its cold,just sharing my experiences.I keep mine in my backpack~

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I like the 650 don't want a camera on my GPS. How much is the Topo maps program, definitely want that? You can do better than Garmin web site prices. WalMart is cheap but I hate Walmart, won't buy from them unless is an emergency. Check Amazon.

giddyup

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
deer valley sask.
feedback

whats the word, how are they working, i was looking a the 650 to replace my 530hcx but garmin recommened i stay with the 530 for use in the cold, as the touch screen wont work, i have had my gps's mounted on my dash down low, with a tether for the last 7 year, never had a ram mount fail yet there were a few 10-15 rolls all the way down the hill a couple of times that i was worried about but the ram mounts hold up great, i do have it close to the riser to protect it as well when it rolls. would like to hear some feedback be before i pull the trigger an try it

giddyup

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Touch screen suspect in the cold????.........good to know.........you prob just saved me some $$. Was seriously thinking about selling the HCX and going to the 650....now.....probably not.

adairtd1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 23, 2011
La Grande, Oregon
I sold my 530HCx to get a 655t, and I have not regretted. During this deer and elk season, even in cold (20 degree or so anyways) weather, the touchscreen worked great and I never had an issue with it. The menu layouts are very easy and intuitive, and they work great with other rino products like the 530 and the 520.

I have the 24k topo maps as well as birdseye satellite imagery installed on mine, and both are a great addition to the basemap, especially the satellite imagery.

The only gripes that I have is that you cannot install the extra maps to the memory card, and the camera is very hit and miss. You can get good photos with it, but most of them are garbage. The camera on some of the other GPS only units that Garmin has come out with work great, so hopefully the camera issues can be fixed with a firmware update.

OrangeKowJumper

Lifetime Membership
Jul 31, 2010
Touch screen suspect in the cold????.........good to know.........you prob just saved me some $$. Was seriously thinking about selling the HCX and going to the 650....now.....probably not.

Just so ya know. . owners manual states temperature operating range for the 650 is -4f to +140f ...I would imagine it'll work beyond that but that's what Garmin states as it's range. .

Premium Features