• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2.6" vs 3" lugs

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
Keep in mind the x3 and 3.2 both add significant weight over the 2.6. I think its around 10 lbs. I think that's part of what I don't like. Rotational weight and staying up on the snow is huge!

I did a straight pull in a few feet of fresh against my buddy. His sled - Axys 850 2.6 belt drive 155" Carl's clutching with some light weight parts. My sled- Axys 850 belt drive 155" camso 3.2 (extroverts) geared down to a 2.25 ratio, similar Carl's clutching with some lightweight parts. He pulled me by a few sled lengths because he was riding higher on the snow. You could see the difference in the trenches.

I know there are tons of variables to a comparison like this. The thing that got to me was that these conditions were where the camso 3.2 should have shined. Dry deep powder.

I have multiple friends that love the 3.2, x3, and series 7. They are also all on turbos. I ride stockers and the 2.6 works best for me. Like I mentioned above the 3.2 did make for great photo opps and show moves.

This track discussion is not unlike the "what bar height", "what chassis", or "what track length" works best topic. It varies rider to rider. Different riders can make different things work for them that wont work for others.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Dalton 40/36 full progressive
120-200 secondary spring
62.1 Lightning weights
120-310 primary spring
18-46 gearing

Okay wait a second. Are you F*^+^= kidding me? I know these are mod 550’s. But 62 gram Lightening Weights at your elevation? I’m setting up a stock 800 CFI for 4-6k with 62’s.

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
Okay wait a second. Are you F*^+^= kidding me? I know these are mod 550’s. But 62 gram Lightening Weights at your elevation? I’m setting up a stock 800 CFI for 4-6k with 62’s.
<div>I think Tony is referring to a 550 not an 850</div>

J
Feb 28, 2011
I have both machines 800 with 163 tracks my dealer had asnow check this year with a 3” track I purchased the machine. We ride in the cascade mountain range and it can tend to be on the weter side. The best way I can describe this machine is like putting in a deep sewer line it trenches. On the fresh days with new snow it is not uncommon to leave a 3’ trench every where you go. The machine never gets up on the snow like the 2.6 you will find that you will be riding slower than your friends with the shorter paddles. The one advantage you do have is it lets you get away with some mistakes and literally your friends will struggle to fallow you through the tight trees because of the trench it leaves. To do it all over again I would do the 2.6 it works great in our area.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
<div>I think Tony is referring to a 550 not an 850</div>

I know exactly what he is referring to. A mod 550 pulling 62 gram Lightening's at his elevation with a touch lower gear? Must be wicked 550's because we are running 62 and 64 lightening's on 800 Pro's and 800 Axys respectively at 4-6k.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Keep in mind most fan motors are set up to make peak power at 6500-7000 RPM, so it's misleading to compare the amount of weight they can pull. To pull an 800 (heck, even my 600) down to 7000 RPM would probably take at least 10g extra weight, or a much lighter spring. You probably can't just use a lighter spring though: that would drop the engagement too low. I just looked through my EDGE manual, and the OE weight for the Trail (550) RMK is actually the same as my 600 (both run a 10-56). It's one of those "no way" things when you first see it, but makes perfect sense when you consider the much lower target RPM.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Keep in mind the x3 and 3.2 both add significant weight over the 2.6. I think its around 10 lbs. I think that's part of what I don't like. Rotational weight and staying up on the snow is huge!

I did a straight pull in a few feet of fresh against my buddy. His sled - Axys 850 2.6 belt drive 155" Carl's clutching with some light weight parts. My sled- Axys 850 belt drive 155" camso 3.2 (extroverts) geared down to a 2.25 ratio, similar Carl's clutching with some lightweight parts. He pulled me by a few sled lengths because he was riding higher on the snow. You could see the difference in the trenches.

I know there are tons of variables to a comparison like this. The thing that got to me was that these conditions were where the camso 3.2 should have shined. Dry deep powder.

I have multiple friends that love the 3.2, x3, and series 7. They are also all on turbos. I ride stockers and the 2.6 works best for me. Like I mentioned above the 3.2 did make for great photo opps and show moves.

This track discussion is not unlike the "what bar height", "what chassis", or "what track length" works best topic. It varies rider to rider. Different riders can make different things work for them that wont work for others.
You went the wrong way with gearing.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
If you like the 2.6 then don't go 3". Trenches instead of popping up. Watch Burandts video. He hits it on the head. Buddy went 3" this year and hates it. He is going 2.6 next year. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes back to the 800 as well. Misses the snap. Weight is noticable as well.

It takes more of a motor to turn the 3" than the 2.6". If you have the power the 3" lifts just as well. If you don't, don't bother.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
TKI belt drive 63/28=2.25 That's what Tom recommended considering track, drivers, and gears...
Throw a 25t top gear in and race your buddy again.
This way you will know for sure.
It just might be the best $100 you ever spent. Cheers!

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Just ordered a 25t top. I'll give her a shot!
That is so cool! Report back your findings.
Looking frwd to the results!

Premium Features