For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Arctic Cat: Proclimb M 2012 and beyond

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2019, 09:13 PM
Currently: Dreaming of riding in deep, deep powder!
Frostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond repute
Default What Happened to my Clutches?

I was riding and everything worked fine. I was pulling 8,250 while climbing and and I thought all was well until I did my post ride inspection and looked at my clutches. At first I thought I was seeing water droplets still on my clutches but after a while I realized they were little chips out of my clutch faces. I bought a replacement primary clutch but, I think my secondary may be salvageable?

My question to you is, I have been riding for many decades and I have never seen anything like this before. What would have caused this? I did add a vent in front of my clutches. Could it have been ice? I can't imagine ice being able to do this to a clutch face.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized Clutch Picture.jpg (278.6 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg Primary Damage.jpg (178.7 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg Resized Clutch Vent.jpg (338.3 KB, 177 views)

Last edited by Frostbite; 03-15-2019 at 10:36 PM.

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 03-15-2019, 09:58 PM
Currently: Not set.
line8 has a reputation beyond reputeline8 has a reputation beyond reputeline8 has a reputation beyond reputeline8 has a reputation beyond reputeline8 has a reputation beyond reputeline8 has a reputation beyond reputeline8 has a reputation beyond reputeline8 has a reputation beyond reputeline8 has a reputation beyond reputeline8 has a reputation beyond reputeline8 has a reputation beyond repute
Default What Happened to my Clutches?

Do you have a phantom bolt in your brake rotor area?
I had one work out of my frame and drop down there a few weeks back. Luckily I found it before this happened. I did get a couple dimples like that, but nearly as pronounced. I found the bolt in that little area below the rotor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 03-15-2019, 10:18 PM
Frostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks line8, I didn't think so and found no evidence of what was left of a bolt in the clutch area.

I agree, it sure looks like it must have been a bolt or a nut but, why did it then stick with the belt and travel up and down the clutch faces? The belt looks fine as well.

Very perplexing!

Old 03-15-2019, 10:28 PM
line8 has a reputation beyond reputeline8 has a reputation beyond reputeline8 has a reputation beyond reputeline8 has a reputation beyond reputeline8 has a reputation beyond reputeline8 has a reputation beyond reputeline8 has a reputation beyond reputeline8 has a reputation beyond reputeline8 has a reputation beyond reputeline8 has a reputation beyond reputeline8 has a reputation beyond repute

I did have a couple long cut marks on the top of my belt. I kept running it and it did go on the next ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to line8 For This Useful Post:
Frostbite (03-15-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 08:31 AM
Thanked 1,056 Times in 721 Posts
kiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

you have a piece of metal debris in the belly pan. I have seen the stem inside the back half rivet come out or lose it when you pull it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kiliki For This Useful Post:
Frostbite (03-16-2019), sledmasterr (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 09:30 AM

That makes sense and I suppose that could be true. It just seems that if a piece of metal got trapped between the belt and the clutch sheaves (which would be the only reason it could damage the entire clutch face up and down) wouldn't there be scape marks up and down the clutch faces?

These appear to be individual dings that seem to have come from perpendicular to the clutch faces.

Strange. It may still be functional but, I don't dare run it.

I think I may give the secondary a try though because it's not damaged nearly as badly.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:14 AM

Are there marks on your belt indicating anything? Like maybe it wedged itself into the side of the belt? Or in the valleys of it somehow? When you zoom on the pic, there are straight lighter type scratches, but you are right those are some aggressive holes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 03-16-2019, 10:29 AM

The strange thing is, the belt looks perfect. Either the 0627-083 belts are pretty dang tough or for some reason the belt just wasn't damaged. Strange any way you look like it.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:57 AM
Storskogen has a reputation beyond reputeStorskogen has a reputation beyond reputeStorskogen has a reputation beyond reputeStorskogen has a reputation beyond reputeStorskogen has a reputation beyond reputeStorskogen has a reputation beyond reputeStorskogen has a reputation beyond reputeStorskogen has a reputation beyond reputeStorskogen has a reputation beyond reputeStorskogen has a reputation beyond reputeStorskogen has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked the bolts behind the driven clutch? On the non-Bigfin clutch they could break. Had a friend with similar cuts in the primary due to that.

M800 -13, Speedwerx full exhaust, PCV. BC WT 660T -06

Old 03-17-2019, 09:27 AM
Old 03-18-2019, 01:07 PM
Currently: Keyboard highmarking at its best.
jim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to jim For This Useful Post:
Frostbite (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 02:11 PM
sno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sno*jet For This Useful Post:
BLITZKRIEG (03-23-2019), Frostbite (03-18-2019), Storskogen (03-19-2019), summ8rmk (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 08:32 PM

Click Here to Register