• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Inverter or charger for trailer heat/light

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
I’ve got an older mirage enclosed with heat and lights. Everything is 12v. There currently is an inverter/charger/maintainer in there that seems to be toastaffer 5 seasons. I’m running two 6v golf cart batteries for 12v. Is there any benifits to putting in another inverter or can I save a few hundred bucks, just get a 12v charger and when I need charge the batteries?

Also if doing this is it ok to run the furnace while charging the batteries?

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Going on twenty years with two trailers running two 6v batteries.
I use a $40 maintainer for summer and storage.
Charge / run off truck aux line during season.
Never had them die.
Running furnace, lights, electric jack.

CROW

Lifetime Membership
Jul 25, 2002
Michigan
So you just run a wire from #4 to the positive side of the batteries?

EDIT...my trailer doesn’t have batteries currently, I’d like to add them.

Last edited:

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Wire is there from truck receptacle to batterys, some rigs may need fuse installed, most have juice there already, just have to locate it on trailer. If your inside trailer lights run off a switch independent of your hearlights, this is where it’s drawn from.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Probably just a charger/maintainer. An inverter will change 12 VDC to 110 VAC.

Some of the GN sled trailers have an inverter to run the very large BTU furnaces they install. Those fans require 110VAC

whatryan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2007
lemars iowa
My trailer has converter. Witch is just a charger and maintainer And you can hook it up to shore power to get your 110 all so charges off the truck going down the road. Works great.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
same response as above.

https://www.adventurerv.net/powermax-amp-converter-power-max-pm335-p-28095.html

i use this for both snow and car trailers. works great. wired up a 30AMP plug into a 120v panel that the charger is plugged into. works great and it easy to maintain.

My trailer would only charge when connected to the truck. I ordered it with 110VAC, but that didn't include a way to charge/maintain the battery while it sits in the driveway. I bought/installed a 3 stage converter/charger from a local RV/trailer supply store to maintain the battery.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Thanks for all the replies guys! Looks like I’ll be getting the batteries tested and probably end up just mounting a changer in there to plug it in when not in use. It is already hooked to the charge circuit on the truck and it works great like that for a short period of time but I winter camp in it sometimes for 4-5 days so it’s nice to hook it to the generator for a hour or two and know I’ve got heat through the night.

Premium Features