• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hows your spot connect?

E

escape6875

Dec 29, 2007
Twisp,Wa
(1)Does anyone have a spot connect?
(2)Have you used it?
(3)How do you like it would you buy again?
(4)Does each message cost above the $99 a year, if so how much?

We don't all have smart phones, but if you do you should get the most
out of them.
And being able to send detailed message for each circumstance seems like good idea.

MillermanSD

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Aberdeen SD
Mine does not work at all. Talked with a gentleman at Togwotee this weekend and he has the same issue.....both our units will not get gps signal. I am calling them tomorrow.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I have all 3 spots,

SPOT 1 very tough, still working as my back up after 6 years, will run all year on the 2 AA batteries

SPOT2, more features but takes weak AAA batteries and has been replaced twice in 2 years,

Connect, tons more features, battery life is triple the Spot 2 with AA batteries, very nice unit, I take it every where year round and works great so far

will work without smartphone, has 911 button on the unit, can pre load like 15 canned messages and send for free, can buy a plan for custom messages very cheap

Last edited:
F

fltrsei97

Feb 7, 2008
Wyoming
I have two SPOT devices.

1) SPOT 1, very simple rough device. I like it a lot.

2) Delorme PN-60w SPOT Communicator. Devise works well but is more complicated than the SPOT1.

So far SPOT1 is my favorite because it is simple and has worked flawlessly. The Delorme SPOT Communicator allows me to send a very specific message but it is slightly more complicated.

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
hmm

Was thinking of picking up this little number to pair up with my Droid X2.
But, we got two no worky's and only one worky.

I would be using this baby deep in the backcountry of MT and ID and I need to be sure it's gonna work.

Anyone have any more info?

Looks like a winner, but if it doesn't work,,,,,, WTF?????

D

drjcat

Jan 27, 2010
Prince George,British Columbia
Check out the Iridium "In Reach" Gps/SOS satellite system. We use them and they are phenomenal. Link to your smartphones, Always have coverage. Top shelf,Top quality units.Tried spot,it sits in my garage and is for sale if you know what i mean.
Just sharing my findings,Hope it helps.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I've had the connect for 2 years now, used it hundreds of times with good luck (wife needed it for work every day last year, sent 2-3 messages per day)

Good unit, can do 911 without the phone, but otherwise needs a phone just like the inreach.

Given the choice though, I'd take the inreach. The delorme unit is 2 way and price difference is minimal. I can't say how well the delorme works, but I can say the connect works well & consistently. It takes some getting to know you time to be 100% with it, but that's simple training with a potential life saving device.

Had to use it in a serious situation once, and it worked beyond flawlessly. Keep in mind, 911 works different than a simple "having fun" message, it stays online, so they can see you the whole time, so it's not just one blast, it's a stream of signal.

Sled208

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2010
I've had the connect for 2 years now, used it hundreds of times with good luck (wife needed it for work every day last year, sent 2-3 messages per day)

Good unit, can do 911 without the phone, but otherwise needs a phone just like the inreach.

Given the choice though, I'd take the inreach. The delorme unit is 2 way and price difference is minimal. I can't say how well the delorme works, but I can say the connect works well & consistently. It takes some getting to know you time to be 100% with it, but that's simple training with a potential life saving device.

Had to use it in a serious situation once, and it worked beyond flawlessly. Keep in mind, 911 works different than a simple "having fun" message, it stays online, so they can see you the whole time, so it's not just one blast, it's a stream of signal.

I learned the hard way that the key to happiness with the spot connect is that you HAVE TO SYNC anytime you mess with anything on the preset messages or contacts. OTHERWISE..... You will be sending the wrong message to the wrong person. It gets wayyyyyy fawked up and causes undue stress on your people in your contact list.

zalez

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2012
Check out the Iridium "In Reach" Gps/SOS satellite system. We use them and they are phenomenal. Link to your smartphones, Always have coverage. Top shelf,Top quality units.Tried spot,it sits in my garage and is for sale if you know what i mean.
Just sharing my findings,Hope it helps.

What does the subscription cost? I can't seem to find any info on that.

Premium Features