• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Will an IPOD cause avy beacon frequency interference?????

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
how do you keep the earbuds in your ear? Like a race car driver tape them in?

I love to hear my sled and surroundings when I ride, but tired of listening to everyone I ride with...... :face-icon-small-sho

All I seem to hear my buddies say is... blah, blah, blah, I am a dirty tramp and my wife is some mumbling about sand in her gina.... :face-icon-small-dis

Edit:Apparently listening to Ipod while riding can interfer with your avalanche beacon.

Last edited:
C

chadkrump

May 26, 2008
Amenia ND
Ive rode with my IPOD a couple times, and just used my regular ear phones that comes with the IPOD and they didnt seem to give me any troubles...

CK

M
Dec 22, 2009
N. Utah
I've thought about riding with my Ipod but since changed my mind. Ear plugs work best for me because of the loud can on my sled. The previous owner put it on and my first ride on it had my ears ringing for two days! Don't need any more noise in the ears while I'm riding.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Ive rode with my IPOD a couple times, and just used my regular ear phones that comes with the IPOD and they didnt seem to give me any troubles...

CK

yeah.. I tried that just putting my helmet on... they didnt completely fall out, but they were loose.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
My buddy listens to his iPod when he rides, he wears the headphones that wrap around your ear. They work well for him. Something like this
http://www.consumer.philips.com/c/mp3-headphones/shs3200_37/prd/us/

Those are good if you have GIANT ears, they sound great but way to big for my ears. the helmet would push them against my ear and it was very uncomfortable and the loop was to big for my ear and they would fall out most of the time. I bought some similar sony over the ear with 3 different sizes for over the ear and inside the ear. much better fit but a bit more money. I paid the full 39.99 at sears, stupid me.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Mdr-As40Ex-Active-Headphones-Earbud/dp/B0015AFOR8

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
nathan... are those the ones you wear when you work??? where did you get them? and which model do you have?

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Those are good if you have GIANT ears, they sound great but way to big for my ears. the helmet would push them against my ear and it was very uncomfortable and the loop was to big for my ear and they would fall out most of the time. I bought some similar sony over the ear with 3 different sizes for over the ear and inside the ear. much better fit but a bit more money. I paid the full 39.99 at sears, stupid me.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Mdr-As40Ex-Active-Headphones-Earbud/dp/B0015AFOR8

these might work really well too!

L

Little Eddy

Nov 30, 2007
Lashburn , Sask
I read an article about a year ago while researching avalanche beacons that some beacons would be caused to transmit a ghost signal if the wearer was using ipod, and in the case of a burial the searchers could be trying to locate the victim at the wrong (ghost) location. This may be something you riders that want to listen to music while riding should look into . I would post a link to article if I could remember where I saw it. Maybe someone else can remember reading the same and post a link.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
That is very interesting..... never heard of that before. I copy/pasted it for a read here.

Far more importantly, playing an iPod will cause RFI to vary degrees in *all* avalanche beacons at close range. My general conclusions with RFI are: Be very careful if deciding to call for help while simultaneously searching with an avalanche beacon; and if you are touring with any brand of avalanche beacon, never listen to an iPod. (I am very serious about this: the potential for an iPod to be inadvertently left on and then cause interference in a beacon search is dangerous.)

Disclaimers: I have no background whatsoever in electrical engineering, so please don’t ask me about the why/how behind the inner workings of all these beacons! And although I appreciate the price discounts extended to me as an AIARE-qualified course instructor and NSP avalanche course instructor, I am neither sponsored nor employed by any beacon company

L

Little Eddy

Nov 30, 2007
Lashburn , Sask
Thanks Martin for the link.

I will quote a couple of lines from that paragraph .....
"Playing an IPod will cause varying degrees of RFI (radio frequency interference) in ALL avalanche beacons at close range "
"If you are using any brand of beacon NEVER listen to an IPod"

..... So if you are using an IPod while riding and are buried it may cost you your life while people are trying to find you due to the RFI,.... or you may not be able to find your buried friend or family member because you are wearing an IPod that is turned on while searching.
I have personal experiance in trying to locate a buried sledder and the aftermath of the event. Believe me you you would not want to know that you couldn't find your loved one because someone in the search party was wearing an IPod

BeeDoo

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
UT
Wow,
I've worn Ipods many times and never even thought about this. Interesting and scary....

T

triple Black

Dec 11, 2008
Revelstoke BC
www.farwestfilms.com
Wow Ive never heard that before... Scary cause cause i see allot of people wearing them. I wonder what else this applies too? Cell phones? Radio's? Other mp3's?

I have helmet speakers in my tobe helmet but really have never used them much. I found it was just a pain in the butt anyway... Cool to listen to tunes while dancin the pow but the sound of my sled is music to my ears anyway!!!

Last edited:
B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
I do, I either wear earbuds that wrap around the back of your ears, or I have a set of regular skull candy headphones that broke and I took the speakers out and put them in my helmet, it's nice cause you can hear the music but it's not right in your ear so you can still hear other things to.

So basically these "style" headphones (note the 2 seprate wires for each speaker). If you have them.. they will break eventually then just cut off the headband and place the "round" speaker part in your helmet.

icon2-09-gray-houndstooth-headphones-glamor.jpg

Premium Features