• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I wonder...how 2010 SLP Single Pipe would work with SLP Performance Edition Kit?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I was just reading my latest SnowTech magazine and I saw an advertisment from SLP stating their new single pipe setup for the 2010 M8 makes 8.9 additional horsepower over the stock 2010 M8. In my discussions with the SLP techs it sounds like the Suzuki 2010 M8 engine looks an awful lot like the SLP performance edition kit on the inside of the motor.

So, if the performance edition kit uses the single pipe kit designed for the stock motor and makes 169.4hp, wouldn't it make sense that it would make even more horsepower using their new single pipe setup specifically designed for the 2010 Cat factory ported motor?

It sure wouldn't be hard to test SLP :D The new pipe could be put on your performance edition M8 test mule to see if there is indeed a performance gain to be realized?

If it worked....... SLP could sell those of us with your performance edition kits the 2010 high volume single pipe and a fuel map. I'm assuming the Y pipe and exhaust canister would remain the same?

I'm thinking there's more power to milked out of the performance edition setup. While your at it, it would be great if you put a bdx airbox on the test sled and see if there are any horsepower gains to be had.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
The new pipe has been designed to match the flow of a moderately ported M8 engine. One would think the SLP 2010 pipe would work well with RKT ported engines as well.

Great topic!

goodan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 12, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
haha ill raise this topic to the top! It took me a while to understand what you were saying but I think you got a solid point. I really dont have an answer for you but if you were right, that would make for an awesome sled. It only makes sense that it work to me, but im not 100% sure.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
YES THERE'S HOPE!

I was hoping someone would understand what I was trying to say.

I'm curious what the boys from SLP will have to say about this................

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
I will do this whit the D&D shim kit, som minor porting,and the 2010 pipe on a 2008 engine. Ordered the pipe and a PCV already, but pipes are not ready before mid january. Will hit the dyno whit it after install. Then we know if it works.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
does slp shave the 09 head, May want to find the diff of compression from the 09 Slp P.P. and a 2010 m8. Also I heard??? that the stock can makes better power on the 2010 with 2010 slp pipe?? You might gain power with just a more restrictive can. I'm not sure if slp has a new can for 2010 m8 either.
But from what I've learned the 2010 is much like the PP m8 and the 2010 pipe is pretty close to the 09 slp pipe or SW. As AC teamed up with some A/F dealers to build this motor.

Now if they would just do the m1000 crank and port the motor I would order one now. If done right it would be a over 200hp production sled. Tell me that wont sell.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I didn't get a chance to ask SLP yet but, I will try tommorrow.

Yes, a hot rodded 1000cc engine (similar to what they did with the M8 motor) would sell like hotcakes but, I'm affraid Cat may have run into and emission wall and the only hot rodded 1000 you'll see will be a fourstroke turbo.

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
actually the way AC has been selling most of there sleds is from the high hp. the higher it is the lower the emission standards have to be. They have to sell so many h hp sleds to compensate for there low power sleds that don't meet it. I also heard the 2012 regulations don't have to be met yet as they are holding on to the 2010 regs. Yami is pi$$ed about it and sueing the gov over it.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
No kidding! I hadn't heard that.

I spoke to SLP today and the 2010 Y pipe is the same and the porting is similar but, that's where the good news ends.

The 2010 M8 has considerably more crankcase volume because of the smaller crankshaft. The pipe was designed based upon the increased crankcase volume so the pipe is really not applicable for the pre 2010 sleds, ported or not.

Also, the pipe mounts are different on the 2010s (higher) and the exhaust canister is different.

So much for just buying the pipe itself and updating the fuel map. :(

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Anyone want to try the 2010 ho pipe on an older m8 shoot me a pm. I just installed the slp pipe and have a 300 mile stocker.

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
Well, I`ve installed the D&D shim kit, and the 2010 SLP pipe on a 08 M8. It works fine. Did made 157hp in the dyno here in Norway. And that`s a good result over here atleast. Haven`t had time to ride it yet cause lack of snow. Snowed a bit this week, so I will get some seat time this weekend I hope.
The litle I have tried it, it seems strong. It pulled 103 ft/lbs from 7300-8100 rpm, whit the max hp@8200 rpm.

For the fuel control I have the Powercommander5, and that`s a sweet box:)

About fitting the pipe, yes it was a bit struggel. The bolt pattern on the Y-pipe is wider, so I had to grind out a bit in the bolt holes to get the Y-Pipe on. Also the y-pipe is larger in diameter, about 8mm larger. I didn`t noticed that before I was to install the Y-pipe, and did not bother taking off the cylinders again and grind out the exoust outlet to fit the Y-pipe. Would maybe brougt some more power my way, but I`d go back there next time I`m planning a dyno run.
The main pipe fits nice, even better then the old pipe, no need for cutting heat shield in the hood etc.

But the canister is diffrent. I`d have to order all the outlet parts thrue the belly pan from the 2010 modell. Think it`s the same as on the M1 outlet. It`s wider, and located abit higher up in the belly pan.

Next step should be if anyone tried to mount the jugs,piston,and head from a 10 on an older engine. Should work good I`d suppose. Don`t think the extra crank wheigt has so much affect on top end power, but more on the response in the engine.

I`ve just bought a set of Jaws twins from a dude here on SW. Just hope he are serios and send me the pipes. Haven`t heard from him in couple of days now:(

This pipes should possible bring it up over 160 HP.

Thats for now.

R

rsoukup37

Nov 9, 2009
Southeast SD
just installed a slp setup on 10 m8 sp and 08 m1000 sp and the m8 has some insane snap all around and the m1000 just has massive amounts of torque all the way thru powerband. absolutely love them both and its hard to chose which one is better but i would have to say the m8 just becuase of the added amount of power and the sound is just awesome

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
I`ll just update this a bit. My jaws pipes finaly arrived. And I`ve been in the same dyno again. 165 hp and 109 ft.lb torque.
This Jaws pipes works waaaay better whit the D&D shim then the 2010 SLP pipe did. Trottle respons was incredible better whit the twins then the SLP. So I would say the 2010 SLP pipe on a older engine, is not a great deal. Alot of trottle respons was missing, and when I got up in attitude, the power loss was way bigger then on a stocker.
Whit the Jaws pipes, I don't find any powerloss from 0- 3000ft. At 3000 ft it runs side by side uphill whit my friends 162" SLP piped M1000, who put out 172HP in the same dyno.
This is the strongest 800cc sled I`ve ever ridden, and I have the biggest smile on my face everytime I ride it:)
It`s a bit loud whit the double silencer version. Thinking of trying the quiet silencer from jaws. Would be nice if there`s no powerloss:)

A

ArcticJunkie

Mar 16, 2009
Nashwauk, MN
Daltech

How have the twins been working out for you? I'm looking at putting a set on my sled do you have to do alot more tuning with them than a single pipe? Right now I've got a 09 HCR i've got a speedwerx low alt pipe and skinz can Rkt head and porting and bd box

Premium Features