• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

14 yz450f Snowbike setup.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I just picked up a low hour bike for my 14 ts st.
It has an fmf ti, ti, carbon full exhaust.

I don't want to be that guy but I haven't had much luck searching for specific to this bike setups.

What have folks run with good results for:

Intake?

Ecu:
Stock/ remapped? Maps? :)

PR2?

Raze?

Other options?

Thermostat:

Thermobob is the standard.

Raze moto with the ecu?

Raze moto with the heated bars?

I think avid makes one?

Gearing:

Stock 13 tooth sprocket on the bike?

Should I consider a 12 tooth?

Ts gearing is as sold.

I'm going to be running a 120x11.5"x3" track

(Got one for free to cut down)

Sea level to 4k (alaska)

Front fork springs:

6.4 kg? (I'm 6'2" 220#)

Lastly shrouds.

Full?

Half?

the gman

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2012
First thing you want to do is replace the shift drum paw. That year has a weak bearing on the end that holds it in the gear and the bearing comes loose and can raise hell in the tranny and motor oil pump.
Edit... It is called the stopper lever assembly, I installed the 2016 lever and the spring from the 16 as it is a firmer spring.

Last edited:

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I have an intake I used once on my 250fx.... 15 if Interested same intake as the 450s.. it's awesome just ended up selling the bike.. the ECU upgrade was by far the best thing dollar for dollar I did... Keep in mind without the modfied intake you can get snow in the intake then a ton of water can melt into your engine.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I have an intake I used once on my 250fx.... 15 if Interested same intake as the 450s.. it's awesome just ended up selling the bike.. the ECU upgrade was by far the best thing dollar for dollar I did... Keep in mind without the modfied intake you can get snow in the intake then a ton of water can melt into your engine.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Picture?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
First thing you want to do is replace the shift drum paw. That year has a weak bearing on the end that holds it in the gear and the bearing comes loose and can raise hell in the tranny and motor oil pump.

So number 12?

Just buy one from a 2016?

ac8f7be43fe5507a038c8a24ad81107f.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Not sure a ti/carbon exhaust is the best choice for winter use. I'd consider a stainless exhaust for winter and save the fancy one for summer.

It came with it. :)
I'm definitely not going to buy another.

If it cracks I'll just tig weld it up.
No big deal.

Plus it's not going to be a summer bike.
I have a 300 2t for the mountain single tracks.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I did a 2.25" to 3 Inch silicone 45* bend and a big wire cage that actually came through the top of the intake cover, (about a foot of filter area) with a K&N snowcharger cover. This thing worked amazing and would seriously run perfect completely submerged in snow and cannot plug.

13.5:1 Wiesco piston
stage 2 hot cams
HOT mapping via GYTR tuner.
thermobob
fmf slip on
skid plate with minor shrouding.

This is what I was running on my 14 and it absolutely ripped. I could have done a little more shrouding as I would have falling coolant temps on cold smoke days and you definitely feel the bike de-tune when it gets cold. Otherwise I loved it, pulled insanely hard right to the rev limiter and I put 200+ hours on it without a hiccup.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I did a 2.25" to 3 Inch silicone 45* bend and a big wire cage that actually came through the top of the intake cover, (about a foot of filter area) with a K&N snowcharger cover. This thing worked amazing and would seriously run perfect completely submerged in snow and cannot plug.

13.5:1 Wiesco piston
stage 2 hot cams
HOT mapping via GYTR tuner.
thermobob
fmf slip on
skid plate with minor shrouding.

This is what I was running on my 14 and it absolutely ripped. I could have done a little more shrouding as I would have falling coolant temps on cold smoke days and you definitely feel the bike de-tune when it gets cold. Otherwise I loved it, pulled insanely hard right to the rev limiter and I put 200+ hours on it without a hiccup.

Do you have the map you used? (Obviously elevation is different but the timing info should cross over)

Have you ridden a bike with a pr2 ecu and compared?

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Little trivia , Cannondale X440 had the intake figured out . It runs threw the front of the frame between the forks behind the head light / plate .

For someone building a mod I would think this would be a good start since the left frame is also the engine oil reserve that would also be a good anti freeze overflow .

I just stripped one down . It was way ahead of it's time with nothing but the best of everything including the problems .

lg_cannondalec440r-de.jpg

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Do you have the map you used? (Obviously elevation is different but the timing info should cross over)

Have you ridden a bike with a pr2 ecu and compared?
I have never ridden with a PR2 or RAZE Ecu bike to compare unfortunately. I will say that with all the other assortments of bikes. It was conistantly one of the hardest running bikes ive been on with a relatively simple and low cost build.

Mapping was all ignition maxed out except the lowest cell used for starting. As for fuel, I would play with that more based of temps. Generally it was a fairly flat 0 Map with plus or minus some depending on time of year. I would run the bike from november to june on the snow, so obviously mapping changes a bit then.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I have never ridden with a PR2 or RAZE Ecu bike to compare unfortunately. I will say that with all the other assortments of bikes. It was conistantly one of the hardest running bikes ive been on with a relatively simple and low cost build.

Mapping was all ignition maxed out except the lowest cell used for starting. As for fuel, I would play with that more based of temps. Generally it was a fairly flat 0 Map with plus or minus some depending on time of year. I would run the bike from november to june on the snow, so obviously mapping changes a bit then.

I think I'm going to give the stock ecu a try.
I'm keeping the axys handy for deep days.........

Some mixed reviews on replacement ecu's here in Alaska.

That cannonturd needs to stay in the scrap yard.
What a disaster.

Last edited:

DanielMerrick

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2014
Northern Ontario Canada
2014 Yz450f setup

I run the motocross action map with the gytr tuner on the ignition side and let the power commander 5 with auto tune do my fuelling (ported, polished head with slight shave to bump compression ratio), run hot cams stage 2 in harder snow (better bottom end) and stock cams in fluff. Cannon race craft .60kg springs up front (I'm 180lbs), home made intake(pre filter over cage https://www.instagram.com/p/BA_S4wcBArb/?taken-by=danielmerrick), drifter products engine cover/shroud.
Thermo bob with a Koso temp gauge, Wr Headlight with a Led bulb.
Running a ts raw using a 12T front sproket.

Only got maybe 12 hours oh seat time before I got hurt at work seemed solid never missed a beat.

YZ450fmap.jpg IMG_7209.jpg IMG_7238.jpg IMG_7216.jpg IMG_7208.jpg

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I run the motocross action map with the gytr tuner on the ignition side and let the power commander 5 with auto tune do my fuelling (ported, polished head with slight shave to bump compression ratio), run hot cams stage 2 in harder snow (better bottom end) and stock cams in fluff. Cannon race craft .60kg springs up front (I'm 180lbs), home made intake(pre filter over cage https://www.instagram.com/p/BA_S4wcBArb/?taken-by=danielmerrick), drifter products engine cover/shroud.
Thermo bob with a Koso temp gauge, Wr Headlight with a Led bulb.
Running a ts raw using a 12T front sproket.

Only got maybe 12 hours oh seat time before I got hurt at work seemed solid never missed a beat.

What part number temp gauge?
Any pictures of where you stuck it?

J
Dec 27, 2010
Heber utah
Edit... It is called the stopper lever assembly, I installed the 2016 lever and the spring from the 16 as it is a firmer spring.

Did that to mine too cause I did find bearing parts in the oil...

Attached is the list of stuff I had on my 14' YZ

FullSizeRender.jpg

Premium Features