• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skidoo 850 belt issues - alignment out of spec

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
This is still an open forum that we can post in and learn from right?

Yeah because I learned so much from his awesome free speech post :eyebrows: Perhaps you didn't read the opening line of his post? Complaining about flag waving Doo-tard crap? He doesn't come across as very intelligent so I was pointing out he was in the Ski Doo section so more than likely it's going to be filled with posts and people who like Ski Doo rather than ones who dislike. I always seem to forget the average IQ level around here is that of a 3rd grader

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Yeah because I learned so much from his awesome free speech post :eyebrows: Perhaps you didn't read the opening line of his post? Complaining about flag waving Doo-tard crap? He doesn't come across as very intelligent so I was pointing out he was in the Ski Doo section so more than likely it's going to be filled with posts and people who like Ski Doo rather than ones who dislike. I always seem to forget the average IQ level around here is that of a 3rd grader

Well I'm glad your sleds don't have any of the trouble that some of the other guys are having trouble with.
There's more sleds showing up with belt blowing problems and some of these guys can't get the problem figured out so they would like some help from this forum.

Your not helping them with your 154 is the best and there isn't a problem attitude.

One of the G4s I ride with can't make it 2 days on belt.
The dealer said there's nothing wrong with it.
His old 800 etec beats up on it.
It's for sale and he's willing to take a hit to get rid of it.
I'd like to be able to help him try and fix it.
That's why I'm here. Reading. Posting.

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007

Not surprised you didn't learn much, wouldn't have expected more from a Doo-tard, just more immature blah blah .
Oh , and my teeth are still fine, after more than a few games. Lol.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Well I'm glad your sleds don't have any of the trouble that some of the other guys are having trouble with.
There's more sleds showing up with belt blowing problems and some of these guys can't get the problem figured out so they would like some help from this forum.

Your not helping them with your 154 is the best and there isn't a problem attitude.

One of the G4s I ride with can't make it 2 days on belt.
The dealer said there's nothing wrong with it.
His old 800 etec beats up on it.
It's for sale and he's willing to take a hit to get rid of it.
I'd like to be able to help him try and fix it.
That's why I'm here. Reading. Posting.

I don't think you have read my posts. I have been blowing belts on my sled. Just got my Mtntk blow holes today to help fix it hopefully. I was just stating that saying this sled fell flat on its face is a ridiculous statement. These sleds rip and I'm sure they will even be better next year.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
I don't think you have read my posts. I have been blowing belts on my sled. Just got my Mtntk blow holes today to help fix it hopefully. I was just stating that saying this sled fell flat on its face is a ridiculous statement. These sleds rip and I'm sure they will even be better next year.

I've read every post in this thread!!!
So yes I read that you started having trouble.
I was refering to your attitude in the post that I quoted you in.

Winter brew and the guy that started this thread have gave us somethings to check on this particular sled.

Last edited:
P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I have 2 and never had a problem , I did the Grip and rip braces as a precaution (one done one to go) and am not particularly pleased with the clutching ( although they perform well) it is not to my standards. Doo did not step up with a proper fix for Rpm and belt slip. They just came out with a bulkhead brace kit. To see fixes in the works is great.
I am just experimenting with some different clutching not totally happy but getting closer. All that said I love to ride the beast they are a riot and will always be a contender. That said I could probably be just as happy on a Poo or Cat but my dealer makes the difference ( and I rely hate cheap components with poor fit and Finnish) although the others are slowly getting better. I also like the way Doo is pushing technology ahead and the innovative thinking.
What I really dislike on the forums is 10-20% good info and Questions and 80 to 90% Bull $hitt. Don't get me wrong I take the odd stab at someone here and there in good fun I hope but a lot of this is more soap opera than anything.
So take of your Panties and put on Your Big Boy/Girl Pants
Wouldn't wan to be sexist now Eh:)

the 850 in our group has a dogleg just the opposite, the secondary needs to be shimmed out. He was pulling a cord at 100mi. Will the XP shim kits work on the G4?

I don't have a Gen 4 to check, but of the QRS is the same, I am sure my Shim kit will work. I have been selling about 10-15 shim kits a week, but a lot of guys don't tell me what they are putting them in. Email me for more info: fishon1066@hotmail.com

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
You do realize you are in the Ski Doo section of this forum? Let me guess you are the guy that goes to the Raiders game wearing his 49ers Jersey talking trash all game then wonders why you get your teeth kicked in :face-icon-small-con If you want to bash us Doo owners I suggest you go do it in the Polaris or Cat section where we really don't give a rat's *** :face-icon-small-hap

Doo owners don't care about what the others are doing? That is a load of crap. Every one of the videos posted of the early release Cat doing something better or even an 850 owner saying he liked it better caused outrage from the doo owners. So don't sit there and say the doo guys don't care about the others.

I think its all stupid. Every one of the new sleds is a pretty awesome offering. To sit and argue which one might have a little edge on the other when very few riders push their sled near its limit is kind of silly isn't it? Go and ride and have fun.

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
Falling flat on their face? That is ridiculous. You probably don't ride very much or have very little skill. I'm willing to bet both. The 850 sleds are in a league of their own. To even compare a stock Axys to a stock 850 is silly. Do the 850 have issues that need to be adress? Sure. Most first year sleds do. I have logged over 1,000 miles on my 850's and have had minor issues. Every belt I have blown has been warratied. The guy up there who hasn't probably drove 6 hours to save $500 on his sled so his local dealer could give 2 rats asses about him chewing through belts and rightfully so. Cats are nonexistent in the area I ride but I challenge any guy in this area that rides an Axys that is stock to try and come hang with me. I don't often see people where I ride but last weekend when I happened to be at AW and there was over a dozen Axys 163 3" who couldn't even come close pulling the hill the hill in 4' of fresh snow as I could in my 154. The only one that came remotely close was a turbo'd Axys. Multiple Polaris owners came over to me to ask what turbo I was running on my 850. The 850 stock is leaps and bounds better than any other stock sled. There is room for improvement but I have no bitches this season. It was hands down my best season I have had and these sleds make me never want to bother with a turbo again. The only people who fell flat on their face is Polaris. Blows my mind they didnt do a thing when it's obvious comparing and 850 to an Axys is like comparing 250 to 450's on dirtbikes.

What a crock , the only one that came close to your stock 154 was a turboed axys , Get a friggen grip . And you suggest others lack intelligence or don't ride much , you're on glue . No point in doo building 165 or 174 eh , hell they can just copy your ingenious setup on your 154 . LOL. Cause we all know when the snow gets deep , the 154 is the champ . I think maybe your definition of deep probably most experienced sledders idea of hero snow , perfect for a short track 154 . Glad you like your g4 , but you remind me of a kid right after his first piece of tail , gonna tell the older kids all about it and how to do it. Kinda like a Doo-tard.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
Sure is nice having the safety of the keyboard. If guys were spouting off like this in a shop things would be a lot different...

How do you close this thread so nobody else needs to say they read all that?

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
What a crock , the only one that came close to your stock 154 was a turboed axys , Get a friggen grip . And you suggest others lack intelligence or don't ride much , you're on glue . No point in doo building 165 or 174 eh , hell they can just copy your ingenious setup on your 154 . LOL. Cause we all know when the snow gets deep , the 154 is the champ . I think maybe your definition of deep probably most experienced sledders idea of hero snow , perfect for a short track 154 . Glad you like your g4 , but you remind me of a kid right after his first piece of tail , gonna tell the older kids all about it and how to do it. Kinda like a Doo-tard.

You sure are an angry little fellow. What area are you from? I'd sure love to ride with you so am old seasoned vet like yourself could teach me how to ride.

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
You sure are an angry little fellow. What area are you from? I'd sure love to ride with you so am old seasoned vet like yourself could teach me how to ride.

Not the least bit angry , but have ridden all year with 2 g4's 165 and 1 g4 - 154 , and a few axys and a couple other sleds , and reading your reports , the air where you ride must be favorable for your doo ,cause we've seen actual comparisons all year , and they're not the same as yours. The g4 is a really good sled , sometimes better than the rest , Maybe yours is special.

Last edited:
F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Similar findings to slicks and I'm in the doo camp..

For being 10hp more, lighter primary and lighter track, they are not standing out to me like they should.. Attack angle, skid, primary are the weak spots

I had broke down a day and used a buddy's 16-174 t3, we had a few g4s with us and chest deep snow, all day aggressive tree riding and the answer I found to putting them behind a guy for good was technical steep areas, they just could not follow in with the tippy skids, skis to much in the air, by day's end 174 was the clear winner

Now saying that I also feel next year could be different when they get the primary more dialled in and 175 under it

Not the least bit angry , but have ridden all year with 2 g4's 163 and 1 g4 - 154 , and a few axys and a couple other sleds , and reading your reports , the air where you ride must be favorable for your doo ,cause we've seen actual comparisons all year , and they're not the same as yours. The g4 is a really good sled , sometimes better than the rest , Maybe yours is special.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Lets just be honest about it with the G4 I can pick lines that suit it and require power that an axis just cannot hang with due to the lack of power Not easy but pick your lines carefully and sucker a guy in and you get the better of him. Same if you have a guy with a Sidewinder make sure you pick the lines and make them follow -- get them in trouble every time. Just make sure not to line up beside the sidewinder on a straight on shoot and go hillclimb.
Same with the axis it sidehills like a scalpel blade and that is its strong suit go head to head with a rider of the same skill and have it handed to you. So with some smart line picking old age and treachery beats youth and viggor every time.
Than sit down and toot your horn as so many here do ... bravo you are the keyboard hero. The only guy that wins is the one with the biggest smile on his face. The rest is just Bull $itt
Line em up if you are looking for a competition.
The ones that can Ride a sled not a keyboard. Hmm that makes me think about me being on here.
Ok lets shoot this Thread its way to far of topic.

Last edited:

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
G4 clutch and motor alignment

So my buddies G4 clutch face is not flat like winter brew is talking about.
We also think the motor is to far to the right or the jack shaft is to long.
He's very frustrated and about to give up on his sled and dump it.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
The clutch sheaves have a curve to them they are not flat, at least mine are not. If you have a good dealer they should be able to get it squared:face-icon-small-blu away. If not change dealers. Your buddy needs to be on here and talk to us, most of the people that really could help him will not get into a my buddy other friends cousin type internet pissing match.
Sorry but them are the facts.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
So my buddies G4 clutch face is not flat like winter brew is talking about.
We also think the motor is to far to the right or the jack shaft is to long.
He's very frustrated and about to give up on his sled and dump it.

Just curious....has he checked belt alignment or is that more of a guess? Apparently the xp's needed the secondary shimmed out 3mm and if that was the case with the 850 that's an easy fix. If the secondary needs moved in toward the center of the sled, that's obviously not so cheap to do it it's still doable.

Premium Features