• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

King Cat weight loss

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
So, how hard or how easy would it be to get weight off this sled. Early reports of rides seem to be positive. I'm no burandt and don't feel the need to bang through ski width trees all day. Was thinking if there could be some fairly easy weight loss and do a flash, could have a factory 230 hp sled that would be reliable and fun. Maybe that's just a wet dream. I would like to ride one though.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Conquer track should be good for 10lbs. Seat and tank the same as the proclimb? 5ish lbs there if so I believe

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
king cat

throw an add out looking for a good wooped king cat chassis. Lots of sledders invested thousands to make lighweight chassis in that era, most are behind the shop now in the weeds. I went to help a neighbor with his broken sled up at the cabin this fall. What I found was someones old king cat that had thousands of dollars of after market parys and mods, a craig list sale long after its day, was bought as a stump puller utility sled, scarey. I dialed it down as much as could for old boy so he could haul his utility sled into the cabin.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
throw an add out looking for a good wooped king cat chassis. Lots of sledders invested thousands to make lighweight chassis in that era, most are behind the shop now in the weeds. I went to help a neighbor with his broken sled up at the cabin this fall. What I found was someones old king cat that had thousands of dollars of after market parys and mods, a craig list sale long after its day, was bought as a stump puller utility sled, scarey. I dialed it down as much as could for old boy so he could haul his utility sled into the cabin.

He is referring to the 2017 King Cat.

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
That's the funniest darn thing in a while. What happens when you have a model then don't have it for years. Heard nothing but awesome reviews of the motor here in the flats. One place has the motor pumping out 258hp on pump gas at low elev. Heard one and they don't sound like a moose farting either. Think throaty triple crotch rocket! With that front end alone and the dropped chaincase and darn near 260hp makes me want a demo ride. For sure!!

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Talked to my dealer. I think he is gonna let me take the one he has out to West Yellowstone this weekend. Giddy up!!! :rockon::rockon:

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Pretty wild, I have not seen a single King Cat on the snow, a trailer or at a dealer, and the only pics I have seen besides cats are the ones from the SnoWest article. Seemed like you saw 1100s all over the place in 2012-2013.

Aug 20, 2013
North Dakota
I just picked one up last weekend. The dealer that I got mine from said that they are impossible to get from Cat. They sold 2 King Cats total, mine being the 2nd, and said that they cannot get another one. This was from one of the biggest Cat dealers in the upper Midwest. I don't think you will be seeing many around this winter, but I would bet next winter it will be another story.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
I just picked one up last weekend. The dealer that I got mine from said that they are impossible to get from Cat. They sold 2 King Cats total, mine being the 2nd, and said that they cannot get another one. This was from one of the biggest Cat dealers in the upper Midwest. I don't think you will be seeing many around this winter, but I would bet next winter it will be another story.

They are a limited build this year.

S

Shred4Ever

Nov 2, 2013
Get the Sidewinder MUCH better QCQA from Yamaha ... Don't believes me just go check them out side x side... Clutches, MITS ECU, bolts, wiring, rivets... I can go on.

Aug 20, 2013
North Dakota
Get the Sidewinder MUCH better QCQA from Yamaha ... Don't believes me just go check them out side x side... Clutches, MITS ECU, bolts, wiring, rivets... I can go on.

I was going to buy a Sidewinder instead, but for the same price (at the time I was looking around) I got the Cat with an updated float action rear skid (Yamaha is still using the old skid like my 13 M1100T has), upgraded Float Evol shocks (Yamaha is using standard Float 3 shocks) and the dropped and rolled chain case. I also know with the M1100T there were some belt eaters out there, but mine was not and I had the standard Cat clutches. With the new TEAM clutches I have a hard time believing that they will not perform well. Only time will tell.

I have a buddy that sounds like he will be picking up a Sidewinder MTX shortly, so we will have a direct comparison.

Last edited:

tenacious84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 19, 2010

Much better QCQA......really? Please explain how this takes place when both are assembled in the same factory on the same production line using the same operators and the same tools. I'm really interested to hear, please do share.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Well, rode the King Cat for a day. Didn't want to put on a bunch of miles.
Pros:
Phenomenal motor. Very smooth and lots of power
Sled climbs like a billy goat. Fast up the hill
New panels are very nice.
No lag at all.
Cons:
It's still a four stroke. You can feel the extra 60 lbs.
harder to initiate a sidehill and more difficult to keep it there
Not sure why but they put a shorter riser on than the Mountain Cat. I like a short riser but they are a little too short.
Big fat seat. Didn't care for that at all.

Now I didn't play with shocks at all and I just rode it. With a little shock tuning and removing some weight these sleds will be very nice. Probably not for me. I just like the way the two stroke handles. For some one who rides more open areas with a little tree riding this sled could be the deal. It is amazing when you are climbing. Just feels like it keeps picking up speed. I told my dealer if they could get these to handle like a two stroke they would sell faster than they could get them in.

Aug 20, 2013
North Dakota
Well, rode the King Cat for a day. Didn't want to put on a bunch of miles.
Pros:
Phenomenal motor. Very smooth and lots of power
Sled climbs like a billy goat. Fast up the hill
New panels are very nice.
No lag at all.
Cons:
It's still a four stroke. You can feel the extra 60 lbs.
harder to initiate a sidehill and more difficult to keep it there
Not sure why but they put a shorter riser on than the Mountain Cat. I like a short riser but they are a little too short.
Big fat seat. Didn't care for that at all.

Now I didn't play with shocks at all and I just rode it. With a little shock tuning and removing some weight these sleds will be very nice. Probably not for me. I just like the way the two stroke handles. For some one who rides more open areas with a little tree riding this sled could be the deal. It is amazing when you are climbing. Just feels like it keeps picking up speed. I told my dealer if they could get these to handle like a two stroke they would sell faster than they could get them in.

Good to know. I was wondering about the lag with the new boost management system. My M1100T had some initial lag that I just got used to.

I only have 2 miles on mine and noticed right away that the handlebar riser was too short as well on this sled (I'm only 5'9" tall too). Its about 3" shorter than the M1100T. I just received my new riser and will be putting it on tonight along with a tether (providing the old 4 stroke tether still works on the king cat which the dealer is confident it will).

A buddy and I are looking to go out next weekend. Looking at going to the Bighorns to get some break-in miles on the sled. I am going to be taking some GoPro videos as well.

Premium Features