• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avid Carb heater fitting question

jaredXwoodsman

Lifetime Membership
Aug 22, 2011
Deerfield, NH
Bought an Avid carb heater for my Lectron and noticed none of the fittings on the collar have pipe tape on them. Should I use tape or not? It would make sense to but I don't want to if I don't need to.

Last edited:

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I covered all my fittings with plumbers tape. figured it couldn't hurt. It would probably work just fine without, but I never tried.

A

arctic@1m

Apr 3, 2009
Use plumbers putty. According to Robbie at AVID...
I installed my carb heater this weekend. Looking forward to trying it out.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
carb heat'n

just be aware that in spring conditions you need to be able to turn of the carb heat..........for sure on a Lectron. When my bike runs warm in the spring, the carb heater on sure screws up the jetting, like flooded my bike out in the tight woods spring riding, took a minute for me to figure I had left the carb heat on the last couple of weeks in the spring and things were not going well. Really, most of the time you want the carb heat OFF.

yooper01

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2014
I used aircraft sealant from Napa...stuff is magical.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

jaredXwoodsman

Lifetime Membership
Aug 22, 2011
Deerfield, NH
just be aware that in spring conditions you need to be able to turn of the carb heat..........for sure on a Lectron. When my bike runs warm in the spring, the carb heater on sure screws up the jetting, like flooded my bike out in the tight woods spring riding, took a minute for me to figure I had left the carb heat on the last couple of weeks in the spring and things were not going well. Really, most of the time you want the carb heat OFF.

Bought the shutoff valve he sells as well. Such a nice kit.

Even a standard carb motor loads up if the heater is on when it's too warm.

Premium Features