• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avid carb heater on cr500 steelie

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
So... In the process of tearing the bike apart to rebuild as a snowbike (98 cr500) and realizing this carb heater isnt even close to fitting. Mostly it's the stock shock that's in the way. I have the tss ordered and im thinking it might have more room with the tss than the stock shock but i'm a little worried. I wont know for sure until my kit arrives which last i heard is probably late october (sucks). Anyway, what's the consensus here? I know a few of u have made your own (SB, m5) Also remember Will had to turn his sideways and retap? Can't find that thread with the pictures and it was months ago when i came across it. Jethro u figure yours out? Probably different as u have an aluminum frame anyway. Getting a bit worried im not gonna be ready when the snow flies!
NP

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
All you do is tilt and retapp can you zoom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
89b3e62b5f60663e510d34c4af8e3f14.jpg

Last edited:

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Nice. Thank you! So it looks like it clears the old strut rod easily. Hopefully it's the same with the TSS.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I think will be fine. I have the same one on order

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Gotcha thanks. If you do get a chance could you show me where u retapped? It gets a bit blurry as i zoom in. Ideally i'll have it ready to go when my kit arrives.
Thanks!

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Which carb ? Smarty ? Ya that Avid setup is kinda a pita to fit in there. Clocked all funny. Kinda chump but it works. It does fit but make sure you clock it right the first time LOL

Which reeds u running ? Millar has a sweet set of VF2 reeds he sells for the 500. He can make the flange various thickness's which can buy u some room in there. The VF2 was discontinued and the they are the strongest out of the RAD and the newer junky VF3's.

That Smarty sits way to close to the frame imo.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Which carb ? Smarty ? Ya that Avid setup is kinda a pita to fit in there. Clocked all funny. Kinda chump but it works. It does fit but make sure you clock it right the first time LOL

Which reeds u running ? Millar has a sweet set of VF2 reeds he sells for the 500. He can make the flange various thickness's which can buy u some room in there. The VF2 was discontinued and the they are the strongest out of the RAD and the newer junky VF3's.

That Smarty sits way to close to the frame imo.

Good to know about the reeds, thanks. I just sent him my head for decomp. Running the stock pj right now buut have it pretty dialed. Thinking next year ( or earlier ) of pulsing a pwk and porting but i want to ride for awhile and get a baseline.

J
Dec 27, 2010
Heber utah
So... In the process of tearing the bike apart to rebuild as a snowbike (98 cr500) and realizing this carb heater isnt even close to fitting. Mostly it's the stock shock that's in the way. I have the tss ordered and im thinking it might have more room with the tss than the stock shock but i'm a little worried. I wont know for sure until my kit arrives which last i heard is probably late october (sucks). Anyway, what's the consensus here? I know a few of u have made your own (SB, m5) Also remember Will had to turn his sideways and retap? Can't find that thread with the pictures and it was months ago when i came across it. Jethro u figure yours out? Probably different as u have an aluminum frame anyway. Getting a bit worried im not gonna be ready when the snow flies!
NP

Mine is in the oven right now! Trying to get it hot enough to expand so I can get it installed and check clearance. I'm not sure I can get it on the carb at all....

J
Dec 27, 2010
Heber utah
Well the "freeze the carb" and "heat the heater" method did not work. I ended up using my press. And my wife said I was wasting my money on that tool, pfffff!! That's like the.... 2nd time I've used it!

The clearance on the bike between frame and standard rear shock is pretty darn close. The frame side isn't too bad, but the shock is within a few mm. Probably too close for comfort if it were to stay on year around - and as tight as that sucker got stuck on the carb - it might stay on year around. With the TSS I'm not worried, the TSS isn't nearly as thick as the shock and spring together.

IMG_1932.JPG IMG_1931.jpg IMG_1930.JPG IMG_1926.JPG

Last edited:

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
U should not need a press LOL. All it should take is a little hot plate action. Carefull when u press something like that. The Avid is way too square !! Round is much much better !

Premium Features